SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alpenmicho

Finally! 2 Finished Bathrooms

alpenmicho
17 years ago

Well besides the trim and basement window, which probably won't happen until the spring thaw, we are done our bathrooms.

We have a small 1940's one and a half storey. This was part of a kitchen, mainfloor living/diningroom renovation that we started last September. I gc'd the job. For the bathrooms we used a plumber and tiling guy. Hubby and I diy'd the rest.

My main goal was to have really clean simple bathrooms. Storage was key. Natural and artificial light was also important.

My mainfloor bathroom, although tiny, has space for everything. I have a 3x2 ft by 5 inch deep recessed medicine cabinet that houses all our stuff and the small lcd tv. I had my small vanity designed to clear the plumbing and it stores 4-6 rolled up bath towels, 4 face cloths, 4 rolls of toilet paper, 6 bottles of shampoo and a medley of little things.

The basement bathroom has a linen tower that houses tons of towels and bottles. The bottom part is a hamper. The boxed in part of the wall, where the linen tower is now, used to house the huge oil tank.

The upstairs goes with the more traditional kitchen in which we used the same cabinetry, tile and granite. The basement bathroom goes with the contemporary basement.

Main Floor bathroom 5 x 6.5 feet

{{gwi:1399218}}

Basement Bathroom 11 x 7 feet - View #1

{{gwi:1399219}}

Basement Bathroom View #2

{{gwi:1399220}}

Materials used:

Mainfloor:

Maax Vichy 6033 whirlpool tub

Kohler 6L Santa Rosa 1pc toilet

American Standard Loft above counter sink

American Standard Satin Tendence faucet and tub trim/valve

Delta traditional glide bar and handshower (hate the ratchet mechanism for showering)

Black Impala granite

Basement:

Maax Vision 40 x 40 frameless Neo-angle shower

Delta Rythm chrome faucet and shower valve/trim

Moen contemporary glide bar and handshower (thank goodness I had time to change it from previous Delta one. Love it!)

American Standard Ravenna toilet

American Standard Ravenna wall-hung semi pedestal sink with towel bar.

Sconces by EurekaLighting.com "luna" (Really cool, clean lines, sconces. Check it out).

Panasonic Whisperceiling ventilation fan.

Comments (20)

• tom_p_pa
    17 years ago

Nice...what did you trim the niches with...are those Schulter metal pieces?

• alpenmicho
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep

• Related Discussions

Finally finished marple bathroom

Q

Comments (22)
    Fabulous -and a real inspiration to me. We are also doing a marble/glass shower, a separate bath, and a custom-built vanity with two sinks and a cabinet in-between the sinks. Your photos have inspired me to finalize my decisions, so we can get started on our remodel. Thanks!
    ...See More

Bathroom window finished, finally close to finishing the remodel

Q

Comments (2)
    Kevin, it really took me by surprise when I scrolled down! The treatment is beautiful and I think stands up well with the other strong elements in your room, including your cat ;) In particular I think it is a good fit with your vanity in style and substance. Now the real test is ... do you find yourself laying in the tub gazing up at it lost in thoughtful admiration?
    ...See More

Finally Finished - Barb's Budget Bathroom

Q

Comments (18)
    Well, I had help. DH was very patient as this bathroom moved in my plans 3 times, and then was revised several times. First just a shower stall, then larger shower stall, then a tub, then a tub with a seat :) He did the framing (with me as a helper). He set the tub. He hung most of the drywall (while I was at work). I finished the drywall, did the tiling, painting, flooring. He put up the trim, set the toilet, vanity & hung the door. Now, we are on to the next project.. a bedroom.
    ...See More

Our 'finally' finished bathroom

Q

Comments (19)
    Thanks everyone! The paint looks blue in the photos but it is green. There is a green stripe in the shower curtain that you can't see in the photos. I have been looking for a handsoap dispenser but can't find one that I like yet.
    ...See More
  • nepool
    17 years ago

Your bathrooms look beautiful, very elegant! I especially love the mosiac tile shower... gorgeous!

What's the story on the handhelds? What's wrong with the Delta? I'm looking into getting a handheld so would love your opinions. Is one more powerful than the other?

sally

• alpenmicho
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Keep in mind that the glide bar and handheld is our only showerhead in the shower.

This kinda hard to explain but....

The Delta glide bar allows you to adjust the height but also it has a ratchet mechanism that allows you to position the handheld showerhead up and down in its holder. The holder, by the way, is not the most secure either. In all 3 ratchet positions the water literally hits the opposite wall, which with just a showercurtain goes flying all over. So basically, you have to keep the showerhead at body height, and take it off it's holder when rinsing your hair. The only reason I haven't returned it yet is because it would be a pain to take apart and now that are basement shower is done we mainly use this bathroom for baths, not showering.

The Moen on the other hand has a smooth mechanism allowing you to position the showerhead in any position up or down that you wish, so you can have the water going straight down onto your head without hitting any of the walls. It's also much more secure in its holder.

Having a frameless neo-angle shower (a risky idea I didn't learn about until late in the game when I found this forum) means that you don't want the showerhead shooting straight at the hinges, which is definately a problem I would have had, had I not returned the Delta.

Hope this helps...but definately stay away from the ratchet type handhelds if they are your main showerhead.

• liz_h
    17 years ago

Verry nice! (Although I did do a double take at the 1st picture - I didn't realize it was a before shot at first!) What tile mix did you use in the shower? It's very pretty, and nice calming colors.

• alpenmicho
    Original Author
    17 years ago

liz h....yes that is a before shot...I guess I should have mentioned that.

The tile is from VitrA. I love it. It was very reasonably priced too which was nice. They have so many other cool colors combinations.

Here is the link.

Mine is the color line mix 1 Green-Blue

Here is a link that might be useful: VitrA tile

• claire_de_luna
    17 years ago

Pretty! I especially like the first and third pictures, and in particular the tile in the basement shower, along with the lights shining in the glass. Great job; especially having to do three at once! You are very brave...

• sunfeather
    17 years ago

Very nice! May I beg for the following details?
    The size of your mosaic shower
    Source for the glass enclosure
    Size of the niches

Thank you.

This is such a helpful forum!!!!

• alpenmicho
    Original Author
    17 years ago

claire de luna, the second and third set of pictures is of the same bathroom....but still brave...thankyou.

rrs626 We got a frameless Neo-angle shower from Maax, called the Vision. It is 40x40. The glass is 3/8 thick. The hinges are very strong. The top bar that holds the glass in place makes the whole thing very solid.

I will get back to you about the sizes of the niches. My computer died this week and I am at the library right now....but basically my biggest concern was that my big bottles would fit, so I measured my biggest bulk size shampoo bottles and said 'make one of the niches this size' and then used an average size bottle for the top niche.

• deep1084
    17 years ago

Your tile surprised me. It looks just like mine, but mine is by Original Style. I currently have a thread going about my dissatisfaction with the heat on my Panasonic Whisper Warm. Is yours just the vent and not the heat? Are you satisfied?
    I absolutely love your bathrooms, you must be very happy! Lovely vanity, and of course, I love those tiles!

• hamster
    17 years ago

Alpenmicho:
    A question about your hand held.
    I checked on the Moen website for the "Contemporary glide bar & handshower". I couldn't find it or one that looked like yours. I really like it...could you be more specific, please? Also, on your list you had "Delta rythm chrome faucet & shower valve/trim". Help my stupidity...are these all purchased seperately? Please advise me..it is just what I am looking for. Thanks!

• alpenmicho
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hamster I can't find my model number anywhere (since my plumber did it as a direct exchange for the delta one, and I threw out the box), but I think that it's the same one as in the 3844 in the link. Moen has one of the worst websites ever...argh.

The Delta faucets are the sink faucet and the shower valve trim....so yes, purchased separately.

Deep 1013...Just before coming here, I was looking at a thread where you posted your pics and I thought the same thing....Hey, that looks like my tile. Funny.

Yes, my panasonic is solely a vent fan, although I regret not putting in the heater now, as it's freezing in my basement, but it just wasn't in the budget we had. I'm thinking of adding one of those towel warmer/heater combination thingys. Not sure.

That's too bad about your fan. They come so highly praised here.
    I have to say that my fan is not as quiet as I percieved from the posts here. I don't know...perhaps I don't know what a noisy fan really sounds like...but it does the job.

About the sizes of the niches. They are 12 inches wide. One is bottom one is 13 inches high. The top one is 11 inches high.

Here is a link that might be useful: handheld

• alpenmicho
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Some just in case info....the delta and moen chromes match well. The Delta and Moen brushed nickels don't match.

When I ordered the Moen handshower/glide bar I kept the Delta drop elbow/wall union. The Moen drop elbow/wall union is rounder looking...not as sleek.

• hamster
    17 years ago

thanks alot for your input. I am just starting to get educated on all this bathroom stuff...I plan on "studying" and following this forum. I will print off your info and keep it in my file as it all sounds foreign to me now. Not really planning to redo my bath until spring of '08 but want to be informed when I hire my contractor. Thanks again.

• barkley49
    17 years ago

Hi
    You did a beautiful job on your bathrooms.
    I am doing a similar project. I am redoing our main bath and ensuite.
    I have purchased the same neo angle shower stall that you used. I plan to custom tile the shower pan but I can't find any hard dimensions for it. Your stall fits on your curb perfectly and I was wondering if you could send me the dimensions of your curb.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

• kas1959
    17 years ago

Thanks for the photos alpenmicho. Can I get source info on the tall bathroom cabinet you have in Basement Bathroom View #2. Thanks much.

• alpenmicho
    Original Author
    17 years ago

kasmith, our cabinet was custom made by our cabinet guy. The bottom part is a pullout hamper, the top has shelves in it. It's 18 inches deep, 21 inches wide. I think he charged me about 350 for it.

barkley49, I also looked everywhere for dimensions so I understand. Anyways, a real-size template comes with the shower when you get it. I wish I hadn't thrown it out...

First I'll give you the actual dimension of the U-channel and middle piece (threshold??)

Looking at the shower and keeping in mind that my walls were very badly out of plumb and the vision accomodates this hence the discrepancy between right and left....

U-channel to the left 19 5/8 inches.
    Middle threshold thingy (outside measurement) is 25 inches.
    U-channel to the right is 19 3/4 inches

The outside measurements of my curb is:
    Left side 20 1/2 inches (from tile...so add tile and cement board to that)
    Middle part is 26 inches.
    Right side is 20 3/4 (from tile...so add tile and cement board to that)

the curb is 5 1/4 inches wide.

I would really wait until you have the Maax template...or atleast see if you can get one beforehand. There's alot of variables that I might not be thinking of right now.

• mariainny
    17 years ago

I love your main floor bath. It is about the same size as mine.

The small vanity in your first set of pictures... was this also made for you or did you purchase it somewhere? If it was made, what are the dimensions WxDxH and also what are the dimensions of your two pull out drawers?

If it was store bought, who makes it?

• alpenmicho
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mariainny, thankyou.

Yes the small vanity was made at the same time as my kitchen.

It is 21 inches deep. 23 inches wide which includes 1.5 inch overhang of countertop on each side.
    Height is 31 inches.

Bottom drawer is 13.5 inches tall.
    Middle drawer is 9 inches tall.
    False top drawer which accomodate bottom of vessel sink is 4 inches.

Drawers dividers inside are cut to accomodate plumbing.

• ToxDocAR
    16 years ago

How do you like your Ravenna and Loft sinks? I am thinking about those for two different bathrooms.