SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texaskitchentoo

Scariest Web Site for Appliance Shopper

texaskitchentoo
14 years ago

I have been researching new appliances for a moderate kitchen remodel for several months now. The last new appliances I bought were the ones that the builder put in our 7 year old house. Well with the exception of an Electrolux dishwasher a few years ago. I was surprised by all the negative reviews I read on almost every appliance I was considering. Now I'm fully aware of the web's penchant for complaints, but the number of people with bad experiences was higher than even a jaded web researcher expected.

Yesterday I came across this site and it thankfully helped me avoid a Samsung side-by-side with a regular habit of freezing coils. There are countless stories from owners of manufactures (particularly Whirlpool) of complete disregard for their own warranties or service plans.

Yesterday I was at Sears and the appliance salesman basically told me that manufactures are building their appliances to fail after a few years in order to increase sales. Not sure if that is the reason, I suspect it has to do with a combination of cheaper and cheaper construction and too many computers running everything. Honestly I can't figure out why almost every new fridge needs a computer. Except of course that once they fail it is a big expensive service call.

On the site below you can read from many many owners of various appliance brands. I expect a certain amount of random failures of any mass-produced product. However when you find a recurring theme it is cause to be concerned. One of those recurring themes is the issue with Samsung refrigerators. I also read horror stories of people with the similar make/year of fridge I have. These people reported the start relay catching fire not only ruining the fridge but causing a fire hazard to the rest of the house. I just replaced that same start relay in my Kenmore just 3 weeks earlier! I guess I dodged a bullet.

Anyway, read at your own peril. Chances are you may never want to buy anything after visiting this site. But do your best to weed out the random failures from those that are systemic and caused by a design flaw. Not every manufacturer is listed (for example Electrolux) but many are. No manufacturer is without complaints but patterns jump out quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer Affairs Appliance Page

Comments (25)