SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elisamama

Substitute for 600 cfm Kenmore Elite OTR Microwave hood?

elisamama
13 years ago

Does anyone have recommendations for another 600 cfm microhood?

After reading many of the wonderful and helpful posts here, I am leaning toward getting a 30" Culinarian. I need a recirculating hood and strongly considered various models, all of which required that I lose already minimal counter space to a countertop microwave. (We bought one but DH and kids begged me to return it to reclaim the counter.) Others required that I also lose the 30"x18"x13" cabinet currently above the microhood. Given the constraints of my packed city kitchen, I reluctantly decided to purchase the only OTR I found with a 600 cfm vent, a Kenmore Elite, which I discovered on this site, thank you!

I was reluctant for many reasons, having neither seen the appliance nor tried it, but especially after a live chat in which was abruptly ended when a Sears personal shopper accused me of inappropriate behavior and instructed me to never contact Sears customer service again. My crime? Patiently explaining what OTR, CFM and BTUs are because she didn't have a clue why I was asking whether the hood could go over a high heat range. I actually saved that chat, which has was completely appropriate and respectful.

After considering this dilemma for several weeks, and banned from Sears, I tried to purchase the item online from K-Mart last night (yes, I know the stores are connected, but there are limited places to buy Kenmore). It was listed at $489.99 with an extra 5% discount bringing the item to $462.49. At checkout the price jumped to $765.99 and the system was also not permitting me to pay for installation and haul away. I called K-Mart where multiple personal shoppers advised me to purchase the item and then get a rate adjustment to the price listed. Lily walked me through the purchase online, noted that the price kept changing at checkout but confirmed I would get the adjustment and said that the installation would be fixed. I spent the next 3 hours trying to get the $299.50 price adjustment. K-Mart said it is a web error and the fine print is that I agree to whatever price I paid at checkout. They won't honor the price advertised nor what their personal shoppers and case management supervisors saw, which is still online here @ $489.99: http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_02288523000P?blockNo=1&blockType=G1&prdNo=1&i_cntr=1303874639423#desc

I would like to cancel the order, refusing to support a company that neither stands behind its ads nor its personal shoppers and treats its customers so poorly. The microwave is just a plain microwave, not a convection oven. Can I find another vent hood microwave that has enough cfms? If I cannot, do I accept K-Mart's measly offer of a $114 discount (not the $300 + tax)?

Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

Comments (5)