SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxyplx

The Humble Toaster

mxyplx
10 years ago

Well I dunno if this will be of any interest to most but may be a clue to those new to caring for the demented. Vigilance!!!!

Our toaster is 30 or 10 years old and when you push the handle down there is a 2 sided cage comes together over the bread slice. The problem is that another slice can then be inserted between the cage and the elements - i.e.- right on the elements.

With smoke issuing from the toaster I snapt up the handle, removed the toast and smoke continued. Well there was a 3rd piece of bread in there next to the element. That was at bkfst.

At noon I was observing and the handle got pushed down before any bread was inserted and bread was then inserted between the cage and element. I sure jumpt on that. So now our toaster is in the garage and I make her toast.

Next I goed to Kmart and eyeballed a bunch of new toasters and they also had the cage arrangement but the cage top was spread to the side in such a manner that bread slices could not be inserted between the cage and element. So this problem had been addressed and I spose a long time ago. But toasters last a long time and If you have a toaster "of a certain age" the cage might be the original style - that is, dangerous. Potential house fire!

I'd get a new toaster so she could make her own toast but the thing is they have fixed it so a normal person can't screw up. The demented person is, however, a totally different animal. There is no way to figure or plan around how the demented mind will psyche things out.
===========================

I think the toasters of my youth had a set of vertical wires so the above could not happen. Now the cage centers the bread perfectly so the toast is perfect both sides. We must have perfect toast. I recall a neighbor had an even older toaster with hinged sides that opened separately. Then you had to turn the slice around to toast the 2nd side. It was not automatic. The toast was not perfect. It must have been the same toaster Ben Franklin whipped up after he invented electricity.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors