SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steveningen

Anyone else interested in Dutch tile?

Steveningen
16 years ago

Hi Forum,

I thought I would share my favorite collectible with you. I've been going to Holland every year since the mid-80's. It wasn't long before I noticed the tiles that have been in use in Dutch households for centuries being sold in fine antique shops. These beautiful relics were once used in the most mundane ways. They were found all over the kitchens, on fireplace surrounds, even as baseboards. I've amassed quite a nice collection over the years. They are so creatively individual and so beautifully simple. Most measure less than 6"x6", so they don't take much space. Although they've gone up in price over the years, they are still an affordable antique on the whole.

It's a fascinating niche. To hold something that was handpainted and fired three or four hundred years ago sets my imagination burning. Most of my collection comes from the 17th and 18th centuries, but I have one very special tile from the late 1500's/early 1600's. I also have a few examples of early 20th century Porceleyne Fles, as well as some stunning tiles from the the Art Nouveau and Deco period.

I love tile as a medium, and the Dutch really got it right.

Steven

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH