SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mangomoon_gw

Live In Caregiver having to give up bed for visiting family

mangomoon
9 years ago

I am a LIVE IN Caregiver for a senior with Alzheimer's. My job is to provide security by living onsite. We have another Caregiver that spends every weekend here when there is no adult day care available, working 2 - 24hr shifts. The Client requires redirecting every 10 minutes making it hard for the weekend person to even go to the bathroom, because the Client will get up and be elsewhere. The Client has a daughter that visits with her husband AND 2 noisy not trained barking dogs. The weekend caregiver stays in a spare bedroom next to mine and she gas to give it up for the couple and the dogs and sleep on the sofa in the living room. She complains that she does not feel rested enough to do her job, but yet doesn't speak up to the party that hired us. To make matters worse, the daughter is not close to her mother, and after a 2-3 day stay, our client wakes up in the middle of the night having a fit, cursing that no one cares about her, using profanity and it is obviously upsetting to the caregivers.

This ONLY happens when they visit every 4 weeks. This weekend caregiver has found a job elsewhere that will provide her a better situation. I don't myself, like the idea of this couple coming over and staying the weekends and making it unpleasant for the household, creating a stressed out caregiver and turning what is always a calm environment into a stressful event.

Since when should persons with Alzheimer's be subjected to a noisy environment? If anything I have read that noise will upset poo persons with Alzheimer's.

If the caregiver should not have to give up the bedroom, then the couple would most likely have to stay in a hotel. The Client no longer recognize her daughter, nor even know her name.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor