SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kennethecoates

Review: GE Profile PFSS6PKWSS fd full depth

kennethecoates
16 years ago

We just got our GE Profile PFSS6PKWSS fridge installed. It has French doors on top for the fridge and a drawer on the bottom for the freezer. Everything went smoothly. They had to take the doors off to get it in, but that wasn't a big deal.

We were going to wait to replace our 15 year old Kenmore side-by-side (SxS) until we remodel our kitchen next year, but it started leaving puddles on the floor even after I turned off the water line completely, so we couldnt wait.

We bought it at Sears which was having a 10% off sale on major appliances a couple of weeks ago. They also had a rebate for the $65 delivery and $10 haul-away charge. You can submit that on-line which saves a lot of trouble. You still have to wait 6-8 weeks to get it.

They didn't have this model on the floor, just last year's model. I was convinced that this was the right one to get based on what I've read here and elsewhere. I was really sold on the dual evaporators (watch the "ClimateKeeper2" video on the GE web site). This one has "ClimateKeeper" instead of "ClimateKeeper2", but I couldn't figure out what the difference is. On the GE web site. "ClimateKeeper2" seems to be associated with their SxS fridges.

I did eventually find one at Home Depot before ours got delivered.

It has to be more efficient (and better for the food) not to have to defrost the freezer as much because it is not sharing air (and moisture) with the refrigerator part. We love having water and ice in the door (we use it almost every day) so that was a requirement. This model had the best ice/water system of the french door models we looked at. It took up less space in the refrigerator compartment than some competing brands.

Another nice feature is that you donÂt have to clean the coils. They are enclosed somehow that isnÂt really explained anywhere I could find.

I was also convinced that a bottom freezer was the way to go. I got really tired of having to pull things off the shelves in the SxS freezer section to get things in the back. With the new one, you have to dig around some to find things, but the stuff you are pushing aside stays inside the freezer instead of having to be put on the counter. And having a full width refrigerator and freezer means we can fit large items in there more easily.

Everything that was in our SxS freezer (which was pretty packed) fit in the bottom freezer of the new fridge with a little room to spare. We had ice and water in the door of our SxS too, but it was the old style where the ice cube maker took up about 15% of the interior freezer space.

We have a fairly small kitchen with limited counter space (even after a remodel), so a counter depth fridge (of the same capacity as our old fridge) wasnÂt really an option plus they are a lot more expensive and donÂt seem to have a better repair record. We didnÂt want to go down in cubic feet (our SxS was 25 CF). This model is 25.5 CF.

This yearÂs model has a number of improvements over last yearÂs:

1) Deeper crisper drawers. Last yearÂs model had only about 5.5" of clearance. This yearÂs is about 6.5".

2) Can hold six 1 gallon milk containers total in the two doors (four on one side and two on the other). Last yearÂs model could only hold three total.

3) Freezer drawer layout is much better. In last yearÂs model, you pulled the front of the freezer out and then you had to pull out a separate wire basket to get at the food. With this yearÂs model, there is a mostly solid plastic deep drawer that comes out when you pull the handle on the front. There is a small shelf flush up against the door for frozen juice cans. There is a full width pullout drawer above the main drawer. This is perfect for bread, tortillas, etc. that we like to keep in the freezer. Last yearÂs model had two side by side pull-out drawers up top which would be okay too.

The small shelf up front has a flip out spot for putting a large frozen pizza vertically in the freezer. The picture gallery on the GE web site has a picture of this mode.

It has a full width deli drawer with a separate temperature setting (34 instead of 38) to keep your meat and cheese fresher.

We donÂt seem to have any problem with door warping as reported by others on this forum, so perhaps that has been solved.

The sides of the fridge are a neutral gray color that is magnetic so we can hang our family calendar, notes and pictures on it (one side is next to an opening into the kitchen. I donÂt know if we will try and make it look "built-in" at all. For our remodel, we canÂt inset the fridge at all to make the front of it counter depth and any wall next to the opening to cover that side of the fridge would just cut down on counter space on the other side of the fridge. Plus this fridge needs clearance on the sides when it opens so you couldnÂt make it actual counter depth anyway.

It only took a few hours to get to the set-point temperature using the turbo-cool and turbo-freeze modes of the fridge, and it started making ice in about 4 hours. The installer said run 3 gallons of water through the system and dump the first two loads of ice to flush everything out. We flushed the water out right away and we are still waiting for the second load of ice to finish.

It is very quiet. One of its listed features is "Premium Quiet Design" so that seems to be true.

The salesman claimed that it should be about twice as efficient as our old fridge, so IÂll be checking our electric bill to find out. It is Energy Star qualified and says it will take about $52 to run for a year.

Comments (27)