SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

mounting rock mosaic on vertical--what adhesive?

mahatmacat1
16 years ago

Hi--this is a somewhat *larger* format mosaic question: I'll be mounting rather large slices of onyx, along with some handmade slices of various Oregon rocks (and wow, what rocks we have here!) onto a *dry* vertical wall in the bathroom (i.e. not near the shower or bathtub--it's regular drywall I've sealed with GARDZ). Everything's Weldbonded onto mesh, but they do sag on the mesh when they're held up, so they're somewhat weighty. Many have a 2" diameter.

What adhesive would you all use? Thinset would be a default choice (the latex-modified, for large-format porcelain kind), but could I use something else that's less time-sensitive so I could put one unit up, hold it until it sets, and then move on to the next? I want to know that I'll be able to make sure they set in the correct place, and thinset would be already starting to cure while the first unit was being held, so the second, third, etc. units would be with "older thinset", as it were...(I have 9 units)

I was thinking maybe something like Liquid Nails? Has anyone used anything like that behind pebbles? I'll be grouting, so the color isn't an issue...

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences you can offer on this.

Comments (6)