SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Why might one paint silverware?

Fori
14 years ago

Thankfully this topic doesn't fit into a forum. Painting silverware--eek! But maybe someone here would know. I picked up a big bunch of silver plate flatware that goes with a set I have. From the style, I'd guess it from around the 1930s. Some of the pieces were in pretty good shape but a few of the knives were pretty cruddy. It looked like old Wright's silver paste that had been there forever. I soaked 'em. Nothing. Couldn't budge it. Tried forcing it out with a pointy thing. Nope. Put them in the dishwasher because there wasn't going to be any way to save them.

Some of the putty colored stuff came off revealing blue and pink paint in the grooves. I think the putty was putty colored paint put over the blue and pink. To make it look better? Ha.

Anyway, I didn't need to provide so much info, did I? Why would someone paint flatware? Just knives. And only 3 out of 6. Just the handles. If you were using them to stir paint, wouldn't you use the big blade? And they aren't bent or otherwise damaged. So did I miss a knife-painting fad somewhere?

Comments (15)