Walkers and umbrellas? Not a match!

elisamcs

My dad must use a walker to get around. Thankfully, he can get out of his house - as long as it's not raining. In Florida, it rains a lot. It seems to me that there ought to be an accessory of some type that can support an umbrella and allow the person to grip the walker with both hands. I've looked on the net to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas? Sources? Thanks in advance.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

Wish I could help, but if you don't get a response, post this on the Kitchen Table. Lots of help there. Have you looked in catalogs for medical equipment? My worry would be if it was windy, and it was somehow atached to the walker, it could cause a bad injury.

Save    
fairegold

I would bet that you will find no such attachments for walkers, for reasons like what Mariend mentioned.

Product liability lawsuits mean that manufacturers are especially sensitive to products being used improperly and causing accidents.

Of course, you could rig something using bungee cords, but do keep in mind the scenario of a gust of wind causing a real dangerous situation.

Save    
agnespuffin

He would do better in a poncho with a hood. Or a regular raincoat and hat.

There's a danger of slipping on wet sidewalks. I don't think I would encourage him to go out when it's raining. I know he might want to, but let's hope he'll wait until it clears.

Save    
acey

Good fodder for inventive types...although with a windy day, I too forsee lawsuits. And it's too hot to wear a raincoat in Florida!

Save    
awa13

What's wrong with the Paraplis Umbrella Holder? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Paraplis Walker/Wheelchair Umbrella

Save    
vala55

I would think an umbrella could be dangerous if the wind turned it inside out. Trying to get control of it could cause a serious fall.

Save    
ilovepoco

holy shades of the seventies... try googling "umbrella hat"!

Save    
Tobius Holmes

I know it has been a long time since you asked this and you either have found a solution or no longer need one, but on ebay they do have holders for walkers for umbrellas, I just got one for a friend. I looked under umbrella holder for walkers, there is quite a few options, so it might take a bit to sort through.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Great Designers Can You Match These Faces With Their Famous Designs?
Architects' portraits are less familiar than their iconic designs, but take a good look — you might see a connection
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: 22 Mudroom Storage and Organizing Essentials
Keep April showers in check with an entryway arsenal of stylish pieces for umbrellas, raincoats and muddy shoes
Full Story
Landscape Design How to Pick the Right Garden Ceiling
Canopy, umbrella, tree or sky — for the finishing touch in your garden, consider what's overhead
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Established in 2015 and located in Northern Virginia, Above Board Construction is founded by two friends who have... Read More