SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesbodell

New Home/wall construction and insulation assembly

jamesbodell
14 years ago

I have been doing lots of research on the best way to build my addition. I live in Boston, Zone 5. I found the buildingscience website from a post here and have reviewed it quite a bit. I am using red cedar siding.

Here's where I am: I mentioned to my architect 2x6, 2x4 etc. He says he has been using 2x4 with .5lb expanding foam (icynene). I think I am not on board with that.

I was open to ICF, SIP, and 2x6, but have largely abandonded SIP and ICF, mostly due to lack of building experience . I am now thinking 2x4 or 2x6 walls with NO interior vapor barrier, unfaced batts, and 1" to 1.5" foil faced iso foam boards on the exterior. Standard gypsum walls on the interior with latex paint. I have arrived at this largely from Buildingscience website.

I do question one thing. Traditionaly, walls were constructed with the vapor barrier on the inside. What I find curious is that no one suggests doing a standard 2x4 or 2x6 wall with batts and the rigid foam boards to the INSIDE. This seems like a logical next step, since the foil faced foam boards create a very good vapor retarder. Anyone see any research using this approach?

In addition, I am also considering .5lb foam in the cielings (the addition will be story and 1/2) and an integrated radiant heat subfloor (warmboards).

Comments (3)