SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Reset tiles? Bil, Mongo, other tile experts?

Some time back I posted about how a couple of the tiles at the edge of my dining room floor felt crunchy when walked on, and Bill and Mongo basically said that it was either water damage or unmodified thinset. There didn't seem to be anywhere that water could be coming from, so I opted to believe it was a thinset problem, although the rest of the tile was very solid.

Well, the night before last I came downstairs and stepped off the bottom stair into a lake covering most of the downstairs--the water heater had given up. When we pulled it out, we discovered that a seam in the back had probably been weeping a very gentle drip for quite some time, and the area in the dining room where those tiles were is evidently the low point of the whole first floor, since that's where the water was deepest.

Anyway, after a couple of hours in that standing water the tiles which had already been crunchy are now at a different level than the rest of the floor and the grout between them just popped out completely. It's only about four tiles that are affected, but I was wondering if there's any trick to getting them up entirely without breaking them so that we could try resetting them. We have only two boxes of tile from the previous owner and we're really going to need that when we redo the kitchen and remove the peninsula, so I'd much prefer to just get these the rest of the way up and put them back again without cutting new ones.

Any suggestions? The tile is directly on slab.

Comments (2)