SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkill

Friday is move day

funkill
16 years ago

I finally have my mom's *apartment* ready for her move. I am starting to dread her move to the ALF though. Last night I phoned to tell her that she'll be moving this weekend and she was surprised. She still feels that it is "ridiculous" that she needs assistance. However, she'd just phoned her companion, requesting she visit one day early because she's "out of food". Her companion visited and found four frozen meals still in the fridge = obviously she was not out of food...

Anyway, I told mom to think about what she wanted to take with her - clothes, personal items, nick-nacks. I won't be toting too many things as (until two weeks ago) she was a VERY heavy smoker and all her things smell horrible. Plus, there just isn't room for alot of extra items. Do any of you have suggestions of what I should definately remember to take with her? I have a list of the basic necessities and personal care items...

Also, I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle the day of the move. Should I just show up at her door and say "let's go" and pack her stuff? I'm trying not to expect anything in particular for her reaction ... I figure it could go very easy or be the fight of my life.

Oh - and in reference to her smoking... guess the dementia finally progressed to where she's actually forgetting to smoke! Amazing - but one positive amoung all the negatives. Since the ALF allows smoking on the porch, I'm hoping that when she sees the cigarettes that she doesn't start wanting a pack herself again....

Comments (11)

Sponsored