SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

Unconventional deck location and door?

shelly_k
15 years ago

DH and I want to move the deck to the other side of the breakfast area to let in maximum window light to the great room (south facing back wall).

I also would like to move the door to the deck from the current location of the breakfast area to the pocket office location. I know I will need to make the p. office bigger. The current p. office is approx 5 1/2 by 5 1/2 and I would need to make it about 6x8 to make it comfortable and move the desk to the far wall, opposite the door, which will replace the window. I would need to borrow a few inches from the adjacent bedroom and some space from the walk in closet there and the pantry to get the 8 foot length measurement.

I am not concerned about making the bedroom closet smaller (it would be 5'0" by 5'8" interior dimensions). The pantry would decrease to 6'2" by 5'8" which concerns me a little more. I could move my freezer to a closet in the mudroom if needed.

My reasoning? I don't have a formal dining room and I want to make my casual dining area (bkfast area) separate -- no door or rug on the floor or shoes sitting there during the summer, etc... My pocket office will still fit my desk which is mainly for organizing home stuff (not so much for me sitting there and working because our laptop is wireless). I like being able to contain a few shoes and rugs and stuff in the pocket office along with all the messy office stuff. I'm not concerned about guests seeing this area.

Am I crazy? My sis thinks I I'm crazy for decreasing my pantry storage since my upper cabinets are limited.

I know it's unconventional. Will it be too wierd or cramped in the p office? Figuring a 3 foot door that swings into the wall bordering the bedroom, I think there would still be room for the desk.

Thank you if you are still reading this! I appreciate any thoughts!

Comments (7)