SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Question "again" about assisted living/look backs

carrie630
11 years ago

I have several friends (including myself) who just have trouble understanding potential situations with rules regarding money, etc. when it comes to assisted living, etc.

Here's the universal question:

Suppose there is an elderly person (let's say in their 80s) that cannot live alone but not sick enough to need a nursing home. When they apply for assisted living (say it is 4000 a month), is it THEN that they do the look back, even if the elderly has let's say enough for about three years? I would imagine before they go in, there is the look back.... am I right? Or is the look back done AFTER the money runs out (applying for Medicaid)? I would imagine before entering the assisted living since where would the elderly go while the look back is investigated. Does that make ANY sense? :0) And if that elderly HAD given let's say 20,000 in gift checks, do they say "come back in five months you've been rejected by Medicaid. Not being funny, just trying to devise a scenario.

Also, what happens if they own their own home. If they need assisted living without the sale, obviously I would imagine
after the sale it would go towards the expense. But how do you pay for maintenance, etc. while they are in assisted living? This is the confusion myself and another friend have. If the elderly is IN the assisted living, how is the maintenance for a condo or whatever paid for if their money is going to the assisted living. Okay, now I am really confusing.

Please be patient with us, I've asked similar questions but to me it is all confusing. I understand what Medicaid is, what look backs are, but I don't understand how the penalties work - before you go in would make the most sense - but if you have enough money for three or so years (let's say AL is 4000 a month) with the potential for more once a home is sold - how does that work?

Be kind - still trying to understand this - not only for possible future situations but also for ourselves... Thanks

Comments (7)

Sponsored