SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginak08

I am back again with a question about cats in gardens

ginak08
12 years ago

Hello all,

I have been on here a couple of times in the past couple of years with questions and you all were really helpful. I then disappear because, well, while I start out each spring with fresh hope and determination for my garden, disaster (in some form or another) strikes and I get discouraged and give up until the next year.... Last year, my husband ended up in and out of the hospital 5 times, had 3 surgeries, and I had a baby in August. That led to lots of neglected and dead plants. (I did have a successful herb garden though! Turns out those like neglect?!) The year before, my husband killed my entire garden with weedkiller. Third time is a charm, though right?

My first question is this: I have a bed where I am planning to grow onions. There are still a few fall onions in part of it, but the rest of it (waiting for spring onions) is empty. Well I was outside yesterday and noticed that a cat (not mine) has been using this bed as a litter box. That is seriously disgusting to me and I also know that some cats carry diseases in their waste. I remember reading somewhere that cayenne pepper keeps cats away (I don't even like my husband's indoor cat- especially when he gets on the furniture but I wasn't about to sprinkle cayenne all over my house). I dumped a bunch of it in that onion bed, but I see the cat made another deposit there last night. Is there anything I can do to keep it out of there? And is there anything I should do before planting veggies there this year? Can I plant veggies there? or should I now just convert it to a flower bed?

Thank you for any advice you can give, and I hope to stick around this year... if my husband doesn't kill everything with weedkiller (I think he learned his lesson) and we can all stay out of the hospital, I am thinking this just has to be a good gardening year for us!

-Gina

Comments (12)