SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tncraft

Our experience buying online

tncraft
12 years ago

We bought an appliance online. It was delivered a few days before Christmas. The box looked fine, no dents/scratches. With the very busy holiday/vacation time, we opened the box after the holidays. To our disappointment, the appliance is damaged with a totally shattered glass.

So we contacted the retailer first thing Monday morning. No help from them and they pointed out that it's their policy that any damage reported after 1 business day is not their responsibility. And they told us to go after the manufacturer to fix the appliance. We didn't agree that it's the manufacturer's problem. So we didn't contact the manufacturer.

We then tried to involve the credit card company. Unfortunately, the retailer's 1-day damage reporting policy stood.

Now, we have a 36" induction cooktop with shattered glass. We're hoping it can be fixed and that it will work after replacing the glass.

Lessons:

1. Carefully read every single line of your purchase agreement and any instructions/policy

2. Call the manufacturer right away and they may be able to help you. We had no idea they have some type of 30-day warranty that may (note: "may", not guaranteed) have covered the damage. Unfortunately, we called passed the 30 days.

3. If you don't want to take risk and potentially end up with more work/headache, it's probably best to pay more and buy locally.

****If you have any experience fixing/replacing the glass of an induction cooktop, please share. I'm crossing my fingers that after we buy a new glass and have a technician install it and test the cooktop that it will work. I'm hesitant to sink money into it because I'm worried that it still won't work and we'll end up buying a new one. But I guess we should try to hopefully lessen our loss.

Comments (10)