SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hrwgam_gw

buy already built spec or build new?

HRWGAM
10 years ago

My husband and I have found a subdivision where we would like to live (we have 2 small children and don't plan on any more). It is in the second last phase of being built, with about 30 lots remaining out of 140. The builder has a few spec homes and is offering a heck of a deal on them. There is one spec that my husband loves; it has a 2 story great room and is about 3600 sq ft, which is a little larger than what we intended to build. If we build, we'll choose a slightly smaller plan (at 3400 sq ft) with a 2nd floor loft instead of a 2 story great room. I'm having two problems with the spec home. First, it has the 2 story great room, which feels so McMansion-like to me. Secondly, it backs up to another home. Basically, that 2 story great room gives us a view of another large home. So not only would we be getting this great room I'm not too fond of, but we wouldn't even be getting a decent view of trees. Our real estate agent loves the spec--she said resale would be very easy and if we wanted that exact house built for us on another lot it would cost $40K more than the purchase price making it out of our budget. The builder isn't having any problems selling the lots, so is not offering incentives for those building the way he is for the spec homes. The builder is also willing to throw in a new refrigerator and faux wood blinds throughout the spec home (approx value is $5K, so now we're up to a $45K deal), and our real estate agent thinks we could get them to pay 100% closing costs. It should be noted that the plan I like best is not being selected very often by those building (only 2 in the subdivision). Our real estate agent thinks that is a major sign people do not like it (it has a much smaller kitchen and lacks the 'wow' factor most homes in the neighborhood have) and resale might be a problem. We're planning on being there for about 20 years so it's hard for me to think about resale. My husband has even agreed that at some point we would convert the 2 story great room into a loft, but then we're at about a 3900 sq ft house with only 2 kids, which seems so large to me. Have others been in a similar situation? Do we go with a great deal or do we just build an unpopular floorplan with few upgrades (which might really be a problem 20 years from now)?

Comments (11)