SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treasuretheday

Grout, caulk, silicone questions for our resident shower experts

treasuretheday
12 years ago

I'll apologize in advance if my questions have been discussed before but it seems there are differences of opinion about how best to finish a shower for maximum waterproofing and minimum maintenance.

We've used a professional, albeit "old-school", tilesetter for our masterbath reno. He has tiled five bathrooms for us at our commercial properties and we trust his workmanship.

He had never used Kerdi or Ditra before so my husband installed Kerdi in the shower and Ditra on the floor himself, after countless hours of research, watching videos, etc. In addition to a vent fan, we are also installing a blower in the shower for added air circulation.

The last of the tiles is about to be installed in our shower and we need to decide on grout and whether to caulk, silicone, etc. Polyblend grout was used on the floor in the room. We've discussed using epoxy grout in the shower but it doesn't sound like that is the unanimous choice for everyone, including our tilesetter.

Questions:

1. Is the decision to go with epoxy or non-epoxy grout based primarily on resistance to mold and/or staining or is one type better than the other as far as preventing water penetration?

2. If we don't go with an epoxy grout in the shower, would the Polyblend grout used on the floor be suitable or would you recommend something different?

3. I think I'm confusing "caulk" and "silicone"... Are they used in the same applications? If not, what is the difference?

4. Is caulk and/or silicone necessary in a Kerdi shower? I have nightmares about mold forming on my caulk (or silicone?) and having to tear it all out.

5. If we do caulk/silicone, I've heard that it should be done at every change of plane. Would this include areas that would not be taking a direct hit with water or having standing water on them?

6. Specifically which product would you recommend?

7. Although our tile is porcelain, we are using a travertine base molding that has many nooks and crannies that will need to be filled. I understand that they get filled in by grout. This base molding is lighter that our wall and floor tiles and the matching grout that we're using there. Can I use a lighter grout for just the base moldings?

8. Finally, would you recommend sealing everything once it is done? Or just sealing the travertine pieces?

Thank you so much for any help that you can give me. I feel very confident about many of the choices that we've made in this room but for some reason these grout/caulk/silicone decisions have me paralyzed!

Comments (5)