SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Rabbit Marionette - Primitive

solstice98
16 years ago

I've searched for information on a marionette I have and can't find anything. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. (I'm a frequent poster on the Garden Web but new to your forum.)

This marionette is wooden and in a primitive Americana style (at least to my untrained eye). It is of a rabbit, painted black and white like a cow but seriously faded. It's not in very good condition and most of the strings are rotted or frayed. I haven't replaced any parts because I don't want to damage what is there and I kind of like the ancient look of the piece.

Like a typical marionette, the legs are hinged in a couple placed and all strings join at a T board at the top.

It's really a charming piece and was previously owned by an interior designer friend who found it in a box at a garage sale. He had it for years but never found the right place for it (it really does look pretty ratty) and after hearing me gush over it every time I saw it, he gave it to me as a birthday gift for my bunny collection.

So, where can I find out anything about it? Who might have made it, when it dates from, etc.

Thanks for your help,

Kate

Comments (4)