SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lfrj_gw

Processed 1st rabbits, 1st big step up

lfrj
16 years ago

ASK ME ABOUT MY GARDEN! Easy to talk about.

For those of us "inching toward self suffiency" (to borrow a phrase) processing meat for the first time really ratchets things up a notch.

Over the last year, I've read a number of testimonies about peoples first experiences. I wondered if ours would be first fowl or hide, how I would feel in comparison, and if the experience would cause me to turn back.

1st, I found it frustrating that upon two phone calls to the county ag.extension, no classes are offered on butchering, so if you have no one to teach you, a good book and forum voices like this one is the best you'll get. More to thank my rabbits for.

2nd, overall, and for anyone else approaching this for the first time, there is an extreme comfort in knowing that the animal was treated very, VERY well during it's time on the earth we share. Frankly, from here out, it may be harder to contemplate the meat we have NOT processed ourselves. It does cause you to look deeper at your plate.

3rd, We pretty much let anxiety propel the preparation to the point that we were as logistically prepared as possble. Every bleach bucket laid out, every knive sharpened, every surface sterilized, you know...this helped us too.

4th - The overwhelming feeling of satisfaction MAY NOT trump the feeling of betrayal - at first. It's tough. It will linger. Stroll through the meat market at Safeway, and defer to #2.

I can not share that it was the same "eureka" moment as pulling that award winning carrot out the ground, but it has certainly rounded out our farming life expereince, and we now have a PROFOUND respect for our meat. Discouraged? no. But definitely more committed to our livestock, and strangely, so much more intimately connected to life and this earth... much more deeply than our city counterparts- who recoil in horror, and to whom we have difficulty explaining.

Now ask me about that monster zucchini!

LF RJ

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022