SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sessomatto

ficus elastica... it's 1st overdue haircut. long with pictures.

sessomatto
15 years ago

(again, im asking y'all to go easy on me if this is not the best spot)

about 14 or 15 years ago my step dad clipped his rubber tree plant and stuck the clipping in a mayonaise jar on our kitchen window sill. it was cool. then one day i had a plant in my room.

alright. well, that was when i was in 6th or 7th grade. im amazed it lived through some of the crap i put it through. especially in college. HA!!

anyways, it's NEVER been trimmed or clipped. i always wanted my step dad to do it for me, or at least with me, and i moved out and they seperated and now its too big to move and he's too far to come over.

i know that you can take the tops off and it will help thicken up some of the spindley type bottoms, but i also know that sometimes those spindley bottom branches turn into roots! my plant is about 5 feet tall.

so i need advice on where to clip it, when to clip it (does timing matter on clipping? or just repotting?) and any other little tidbits of advice you might have.

i've never used fertilizer. im sure the first time my stepdad potted it it was with fertilized soil, the i repotted it, im assuming with the same soil (i was in highschool, give me a break) it's only been potted one other time, landing it in the pot its in now...and it's surrounded by organic potting soil this time, and a handful or two of cow poo, i think.

{{gwi:85792}}
i dont really think this picture does it too much justice, but you do get a nice feeling for the Y shape it's had since birth. but the Y arm to the left goes back quite aways and has many offshoots growing, which really thicken it up.

and actually, if you look closely, right to the left, above the washcloth scrap at the bottom, is a new leaf, coming right out into the front.
{{gwi:85794}}

another view of the whole thing
{{gwi:85795}}
again, not a dusty plant, it just got spritzed.

i can't rotate the plant too much where it is, there isn't too much opportunity in my room. but as you can see from all three pictures, it's growing!! it's growing like whoa.

im really proud of myself for somehow managing to keep that plant alive this whole time, given how young i was when i got it, and given how stupid and passed out i was in college.

i love that plant, and honestly, i'd like to take a clipping and give it to my step dad, because i found out that the parent plant didnt' survive the last move. but he had that plant for 20-25 years if i remember right.

so...there ya go! there's my story! any tips you might have on the matter would be oh so helpful, and let me know if you need/want any other angles on the plant. i like taking pictures of my plants.

amber

Comments (7)