SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
c_duff26

Ponytail Palm - Extra Long Leaves, Normal?

C Duff
8 years ago

Hi, I've had this Ponytail Palm for about 10 years. It was in a 5" pot when I bought it and I now have it in a 9" pot. I've only re-potted it once (last year). I grow it outside in the summer (Dallas TX) and it gets about 2 hours of morning sun (some what filtered by trees) and indoors close to a south facing window in the winter. The plant size and pot are manageable but the leaves keep getting longer and longer each year. When I look at pictures on the web, I notice that most PP leaves are quite a bit shorter - more in line with the plant height or a bit longer.

My PP is about 16" tall and the leaves are over 40" long. Each year I struggle to find a plant stand tall enough to accommodate its long leaves.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance for any feedback or thoughts you have!

Comments (60)

• Photo Synthesis
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I am kinda curious now to see how yours will look with all the new foliage standing more erect and giving it more volume and height, from all of those extra long leaves. Ponytails aren't exactly the fastest growing plants, but it won't be long before you start to notice the new growth coming out. In fact, I noticed how much mine has grown when I was uploading these photos. Plus, the foliage looks even darker than before. It was all green when I bought it. Then it started to turn red shortly after. Now that it's in its new location, with direct sunlight all day long, the new foliage almost appears purple, or a dark maroon. And summer has only just begun. I wonder if it will hold that color, or eventually revert back to green? Only time will tell, I guess. My guess being that it will revert, but not anytime soon. At least all new foliage will have this color.

What I love about these plants is how they thrive in this scorching heat, where most other house plants would just wither up and die. Then, when you bring them back indoors for the winter, you can practically forget about them. When mine are indoors during the cold months, they don't really get any natural sunlight, and it doesn't phase them one bit. I don't even keep them near any windows. (This let's you display them pretty much anywhere in your house that you want, and frees up your window space for other plants that need it more.) When they go back outdoors in the springtime, they start growing new leaves all over again, getting ready to soak up even more of that summer sun.

It looks like you have that stand tied to that post. Perhaps you can drive some stakes into the ground and use those to tie the stand to securely, anchoring it to the ground? I have a solid wooden table, and to keep it from sinking into the ground, I've placed large flat paver stones under its feet. It let's the wood dry out faster when it gets wet, so that it lasts much longer. I've had that same table for many years now, with no signs of aging.

• Laurie (8A)
    7 years ago

Ok, this is going to show what a total chicken I can be. Do you treat for any pests outside, or before they come back in the house???

• Related Discussions

a few ?'s on my first bonsai... a ponytail palm

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Porshfan, I also love Ponytail Palms and I recently bought one (a few months ago). I had one before, and I really loved it, but it was killed when I had someone else care for it while I was away. I still had the bonsai pot it was in, and I really liked the way it looked, so I wanted to buy the same sized tree and put it in the bonsai pot. Now, please note that I am NOT an expert on plants, and I know nothing of bonsai. I'm just speaking of MY experience and just giving you my opinion. I trimmed the roots of my ponytail just like you did (a little trim, about 1/3rd of the roots)....I did this mainly so that it would fit in the bonsai pot (I initially bought the plant in a pot similar to yours). The root trimming did no harm to it, and I plan on trimming more this summer. I also gave mine a very similar haircut. Why? Because I wanted to! I didn't like the "stragly" long leaves, so I cut them. I don't think you did anything wrong by giving it a haircut. If I saw a plant in a store that I've been wanting or that I liked, but wanted to "fix it up" a little, I would still buy it. Some of my tips get brown, but I don't mind...I just trim the brown tips. Just make sure you don't trim ALL the brown off...leave a tiny bit because if you don't the brown will grow back. But I must say, I'm not sure if cutting the "leaves" makes them turn brown (but again, I'm no expert)...the reason I say this is that all my spider plants have brown tips and I haven't EVER cut them, nor do I do other things that would make tips turn brown (overwater, underwater, use tap water). I'm sure you also realized that cutting the "leaves" will make the edges blunt instead of pointy, but to me that looks a lot better than long unruly leaves. In terms of humidity, I have mine on a humidity tray, and I mist it also (misting does no harm...it may be a waste of time, but I like to do it - however, that alone won't add any real humidity). I have 3 "shoots" on mine. Chopping the trunk causes these offshoots to develop. I'm not sure why yours has 5 and mine has 3 and others have 2. But if you like it, keep it. If you don't like all 5, that's another story. I don't know what kind of growth it would force if you cut any of them off. I personally like the way your 5 offshoots look, but it's your plant! Anyway, best of luck with your plant. Here's some pics of mine...it's pretty similar to yours.
    ...See More

Ponytail Palm center leaves broken....

Q

Comments (8)
    Amccour, there's a Red Pony Tail called, 'Red Beaucarnea Recurvata' sold at Trio Nursery. I bought a PT from Trio, I think in 2000. The info on his site says: 'This is a selected cultivar from the common green form.' I have 3 PT's...all were in the same, south window, summer outdoors, yet the Red PT's center has light red, dark pink hue, the other two don't. (in summer.) We don't get enough sun to make a difference in winter. If you get a chance, take a peek at Tion nursery, type in pony tail in the Seach box..It's beautiful..wish mine was as red.. SpOng, a picture would help. It's not normal for new growth to break. One reason would be rot. Is the bulb firm? Soft? Since your PT is kept outdoors, it's possible wildlife is chewing away, but that's a long shot. Like I said, a pic would help. Toni PS. How's your PT doing now? Almost a month after you started this thread.
    ...See More

Ponytail Palm brown leaves

Q

Comments (22)
    Kate - I think it's the right choice to leave the brown ends and roots until spring. Just discard the completely dry leaves to keep the plant tidy and let the drying ones take care of themselves. It's riskier to repot now and while the palm isn't in optimal health there doesn't seem any danger of it dying. Lots of time left in winter to research root pruning, getting the right tools, and maybe even considering a better mix. In spring you will probably need sturdy chopsticks (I like metal ones), pruners (sharp, double bladed kind), hose sprayer, and a helping hand to do the job. There is a great deal of helpful threads in the Houzz/Gardenweb Container Forum about this topic. Lots of people in this forum frequent that one too and are very experienced growers. =)
    ...See More

Ponytail palm leaves breaking

Q

Comments (2)
    I think I was reading that thread earlier today but didn't see if they ended up solving their issue. This one lives right up against a bank of sunny south windows already, so hopefully the new supplemental light will help then if I can figure out how to use it without frying it.
    ...See More
  • Photo Synthesis
    7 years ago

I've never encountered any problem with pests on my ponytails before. I don't treat them for any either, before or after they come back inside.

In fact, I never treat any of my plants for pests. It may sound a bit odd, but I don't ever really have to deal with any of them. Well, aside from having slugs and some really small snails. Any plants that they try to eat, I have up on tables, shelves, or plant stands, out of their reach. To deal with them, I go outside when it rains and use my hand shovel to help send them on to their next life, lol. They try crawling up the side of my house whenever it rains. I've kept after them for as long as I've lived here and have done a good job keeping them in check. Other than those, I don't get any infestations. I do have some insecticides, and am not against using them, but I honestly don't remember the last time I've ever used it.

One thing that I do do, before bringing my plants back indoors, is to soak the pots in a bucket of water up to the soil line. Any bugs that are in the soil crawl to the surface to escape the "flood," where they either leave on their own or can be removed by me.

• alpphy
    7 years ago

@ photo- I am curious as well. Yes, it's zip tied to the metal. My big dog ran into it a few years ago and did a fair amount of damage to it so to be on the safe side I've anchored it each spring. I think I found a spot for it and will move it this week and see how it does.

I suspect the leaves turning red is similar to orchid leaves that turn red/burgundy. I believe its a form of a sun burn, the leaves protecting themselves. I see this in several of my orchids that get high light. good news, no long term issues from what I have seen and they do tend to keep their color (orchids) until the leaf is shed. Appreciate the feedback and will keep you posted. I would like to see it in a more full robust state, it may be a year or so but he's been hardy and I'd sure like to keep him happy!

@Laurie - I do clean mine before coming back in as I have a pretty serious spider issue. I use packing peanuts to cover the soil and use painters tape to cover the peanuts so I can put the pot on its side on a table outside. I then spray the leaves/ nooks and crannies with alcohol and wipe down the leaves (I leave the alcohol on for about 5 minutes as there are loads of nooks and crannies!) and then give a good rinse with water (and trim off dead leaves underneath). Flip him back up and let dry. I started this about 3 years ago and it has cut down on the spiders in the house quite a bit. May be over kill but the leaves always look great coming back into the house.

• Photo Synthesis
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yeah, I grow orchids too. As well as many other varieties of plants, such as aroids, carnivorous, etc. I think you mean it's like more of a suntan, rather than a sunburn. Sunburns do irreversible damage to the leaves. Watching them turn red was a pleasant surprise. Considering how it was all green when I bought it to go with the one I already have. There were other ponytails that had reddish leaves, but none of them interested me. I went thru all they had in stock, looking at the shapes of their caudices, how many growing tips they had, leaves, and so on. Before finally settling on this one.

Later on, I found some cute ltitle seedling ponytails for sale at another garden center. So I bought a small pot of them, which had several growing together. I just couldn't say no, HaHa. They were only a couple of bucks. :)

On a side note: I was looking at images of ponytail palms and came across this beauty in full bloom. *UgH!* I'm so jealous! >:(

Talk about making a statement!

• theparsley
    7 years ago

I love ponytails too! In my many years living in Southern California, I saw so many nice ones, both in pots and in the ground. That picture is magnificent!

They really do like the sun; you see really old ones in scorching locations. And they look great in pots on a patio. Can't really recall seeing ones with colored leaves, though.

• alpphy
    7 years ago

The more I research the more I realize most everyone says full sun. Being a novice, over the years I mainly thought of them as houseplants and read their care from a house plant stand point. Now I see the light!

On a side note, I thought Boston ferns needed shade and I have one that gets about 2 hours of mid day sun and it's much happier then the one I have under a covered porch... Looks like I need to research a bit more then I have been!

Such a good conversation everyone, thank you!

• alpphy
    7 years ago

Amazing photo!!! Wow -

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    7 years ago

Ponytail palms are among the most wonderful plants there are. Their range of adaptability is absolutely awesome. They can grow outdoors in full sun, or indoors under nothing but fluorescents in the ceiling. They can grow as tiny little plants in a 3" pot, through any size indoor pots, up to a 20' tree outside. They flourish with minimal care - in fact, about the only thing that can kill them is too much water. And cold of course, so they can stay outside all year only if the temps stay above freezing.

A word of caution, alpphy - if yours has been shaded all this time, move it into full sun slowly, an hour at a time, or the leaves may sunburn. Won't kill the plant, but you'll disfigure many of those glorious long leaves. And here's a thought - instead of finding a tall plant stand for it, what if you fix some kind of hangar for it, and suspend it from a tree limb?

• alpphy
    7 years ago

More awesome information, thank you so much Ficus Wrangler!

Good news, I've been too busy with work to move him this week but plan to this weekend. I'll take caution as I have treated him as an indoor plant all of these years.

Funny you should bring up hanging him as that thought crossed my mind but I hand not had time to think about how to create a hanger for the pot he is in. I guess I need brush up on my macrame skills and noodle out the idea!

Funny thing about him, the older he gets the more protective and obsessed I have become with him. Never thought I would be this way over a plant!

Question - What I love about him is that over the years his trunk has not grown much, its gotten fatter by about 2-3" but has only grown (height) about 4" and the leaf stems about the same, although when I first got him, his leaves only came to the top of the pot he was in. Would the growth/length of his leave be due to the fact I've only have re-potted him once in 10 years (re-potted last year so he spent 9 years in a 5"-6" pot)?

Thank you again for the additional information!

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    7 years ago

Well, your plant is totally gorgeous, and you have obviously mastered the trick of caring for it, i.e. not watering too much. Ponytails are one of those plants that actually "like" to be potbound, and since you potted just last year, it probably won't need it again for awhile. Unless you'd like to see what would happen if you put it into a bigger pot. I wouldn't use more than an 8" one, though, when you do repot. Re: hanging, you might be able to find some sort of a metal or plastic basket that you could place the pot into, then get a wire hanger from the plant store (they're usually with the orchid supplies) and you should be good to go.

• alpphy
    7 years ago

Thank you! I'll see what I can come up with over the weekend. I think I may be able to move him under my Tea Olive tree to start with and then slowly acclimate him to more sun.

I see your in St. Pete (Fabulous place to live!). I lived in Historic Kenwood before moving to Dallas about 10 years ago. Loved growing plants in Florida! I actually bought my Pony Tail from Willow Tree (I believe that's the name) over on 49th (the nursery with the huge Stag horn in the tree in the middle of the nursery). Sure wish I could grow a Stag Horn Fern here!

• Photo Synthesis
    7 years ago

The plant will grow only as tall as it can in relation to how fast it can send out new leaves. The trunk itself won't elongate, but rather more will be added to it when more leaves grow out from the top. And they don't necessarily grow substantial root systems. I don't grow mine pot bound. I give them a pot that will easily accommodate their roots with a little room to spare. Considering the fact that they do eventually get bigger over time, just at their own pace.

Hanging your plant seems like a good idea. The only issue I would have, being that it would be competing with the larger tree for sunlight. It would still get ample amounts, but not as much as it could standing on its own. I purposefully keep mine away from anything that would obstruct their sunlight. Mine get direct sunlight from sunrise to sunset. Not many plants can thrive in such conditions so easily. This lets them grow to their full potential, giving them all the energy they need. Why limit that?

Since you stated that yours received both morning and evening sunlight, it has built up some resistance to the sun's ultraviolet rays. So I wouldn't worry too much about them getting sunburned. Though it couldn't hurt to keep an eye out for it. Better safe than sorry. If you had kept your palm indoors all of this time and then wanted to move it outdoors into full sunlight, then I would have been more concerned with them getting sunburned. But that's not the case here with yours.

• dinamc1
    7 years ago

This is Audrey... :)

• alpphy
    7 years ago

OMG, I am in love with Audrey!!!! How old is Audrey?

• theparsley
    7 years ago

WHOA!!! Even with the rolling plant stand, I'd think you'd need a team of oxen to move Audrey!

• theparsley
    7 years ago

I am also impressed that Audrey has learned how to open the refrigerator and get her own snacks.

• dinamc1
    7 years ago

Audrey was an orphan when we visited a nursery and bought a lot of other stuff. She was laying on her side, almost dead. the owner said she would "throw it in". I think she must've been at least 5 yrs old at the time in 2000. So I'm thinking she's 20+ now. She bloomed in 2013 but it really stressed her so i whacked off the bloom and then had lots of branches sprout.

• dinamc1
    7 years ago

BTW, she's bigger now. And been outside since it's been warmer.

• dinamc1
    7 years ago

We're on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

• Photo Synthesis
    7 years ago

That poor plant, you should send it my way and let me nurse it back to health!

Oh, okay... it was worth a shot, haha...

I didn't even notice the refrigerator door being open the first time I saw the photo. I had no idea that ponytail palms could do that, lol. I guess it's a good thing that they don't necessarily grow in height all that fast, seeing how tall it is already. If that were my plant, I would be torn between the decision to prune it, or to tear out my ceiling to make room for it when it gets taller, haha! Way to grow! :)

• dinamc1
    7 years ago

I pruned it in 2013...broke my heart, however she came back strong! We have a sunroom with a tall ceiling.

• dinamc1
    7 years ago

I had a 13 year old jade that was to heavy to move. I started pruning without thinking...

• dinamc1
    7 years ago

BTW i have babies if anyone is interested.

• User
    7 years ago

I want the big one before you pruned it. Haha. Nigel Saunders over at YouTube has helped me with pruning. Design is my weak area.

• ravenmoon91419
    7 years ago

As far as ponytail palms go, how often does everyone fertilize and what type does everyone use?

Also, C Duff, what was your recipe that you use for your sandy cactus mix?? My goal for my ponytail Palm, is to look like yours. :)

I inherited a ponytail Palm, but all the tips of leaves are brown and choppy looking. Does anyone know what's going on? How can I fix them?

• User
    7 years ago

Start from the bottom and peal off or trim leaves from trunk. You want to show that valuable trunk.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    7 years ago

@raven, if the leaves are brown and choppy, someone was probably cutting brown tips off the leaves. The brown tips are the plant's way of signalling that the soil moisture is too high, so make sure that the soil is dry all the way to the bottom of the pot before watering again. You can't do anything about the brown and choppy leaves, other than to create the conditions that allow the plant to grow new leaves; then when it has them, you can remove some of the chopped leaves, and eventually all the leaves will look good. (There is a possibility that brown tips can signal other things, such as elevated salt levels, but the most likely cause is soil moisture, so you want to deal with that first.)

@ dinamc was Audrey outdoors when she bloomed? Or at least part of the time, in which case how much? I've never seen one bloom indoors.

@alpphy - Kenwood, yes! Know it well. I live in Disston Heights. The Willow Tree is my garden store of choice - funny story, they have a pair of life-size plaster horses in front of the store, that used to reside outside a hotel on St Pete Beach where my husband and I ate at the Shell's restaurant, and at which he and his first wife had honeymooned in the '60's. I grow all the plants outdoors that I used to have only inside in NYC. I'll be moving to Dunnellon in the fall, about 130 miles north of here, so I expect wonderful new growing experiences. Hope you like Dallas.

• dinamc1
    7 years ago

@Ficus Wrangler, Yes She was outside. The bloom stressed her and she looked so bad i cut it off. The blooms weren't pretty either.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    7 years ago

Yeah, usually they only bloom in full sun, after many years of growth. There's one down 30th ave that grows in a front yard, and I noticed that after it bloomed last year, it looked much thinner than it had before. I wonder if there are special ways to treat them when they bloom, because they appear to be propagated from seed, and they're pretty cheap, which would seem to mean that the seeds are easy to get and easy to grow.

• dinamc1
    7 years ago

I didn't think to try to save the seeds. I have 4 already. My current obsession is plumeria and adenium and getting seed pods to set.

I also have dozens of amaryllis seeds that have just sprouted.

• ravenmoon91419
    7 years ago
    @ficuswrangler it's a rescue plant I received. They were definitely watering it way to much. I now water it like every 2 weeks or when I can remember. It seems to like it more when I forget lol

I do want to repot it, because currently the pit that it is in feels very lightweight, like foam? But I'm not sure what potting soil to get or what kind of fertilizer it likes. Any suggestions?
  • PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    7 years ago

@raven - Your ponytail is probably just as happy to be "forgotten." For new soil, the first priority is something that drains well. You can certainly try a "gritty mix," such as you will find discussed at length on Garden Web http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1374978/als-gritty-mix?n=4 which will need to be watered more often than a more standard mix, which could work really well if all your plants are in it, and you have a standardized watering schedule. If you're just looking to pot one plant, with as little fuss as possible, I would use a packaged cactus mix, and mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with perlite. I would go easy with the fertilizer. If the plant stays indoors all the time, 3 times a year with a 3-1-2 formula, mixed to 1/2 strength, should do it. If it's outdoors, you can fertilize monthly with the fertilizer cut to 1/4 strength. If you have a gritty-type mix, you can use stronger fertilizer, 'cause you'll be rinsing out the salts everytime you water. Or just consider all the variables, and go with your gut instinct. Growing houseplant is almost never an "either-or" proposition. Many approaches work well, which is why you see so much different, often opposing, advice. I think it depends alot on the species' "range of adaptability;" in the case of ponytails, they have a huge range, so as long as the soil doesn't stay too wet for too long, almost anything goes. I love ponytails.

• alpphy
    7 years ago

@raven, sorry for the delay as I've been out of town and hope this
    is still helpful. I agree with Ficus Wrangler and care for my guy in a
    similar manner. I took 2 parts Cactus mix and then added some items I
    had on hand: 1/2 part aquarium gravel (pretty fine - around 2-4mm in
    size) and 1/2 perlite. I looked at the link above to see the mix Ficus
    Wrangler pointed out and the aquarium gravel size I used is similar to
    Turface (which is used commonly used as aquarium substrate). I went
    with more perlite and aquarium gravel with the cactus mix because I tend
    to have a heavy hand at watering. This way when I check my guy weekly
    he is almost always completely dried out, hence I can water weekly and
    not kill him in the summer! In the winter I water once a month or so,
    sometimes less because his winter home is somewhat out of the way in a
    room I don't use very often. On fertilizing, I only do so a few
    times a year, maybe 3-4 with a weak solution. Good luck with your Pony
    Tail Palm, he is very pretty already!

@Ficus Wrangler
    - I totally forgot about the horses! Weren't they outside of the
    Colonial Hotel in St. Pete? Such a small world all the way
    around! Love Dunnellon, I would think it would open up quite a few
    more growing options for you. Good Luck with your move! On a side
    note about Dallas, the one plant that actually does amazingly well here
    that I drug from St. Pete was a Tea Olive Tree, I took cuttings from
    the ones I had in the back yard and 10 years later they are almost 10
    feet tall and as wide. The snow and ice has not caused any issues with
    them as of yet. It's like have orange trees in my yard again with
    out battling rats! Dallas definitely opened up a whole new world of
    plants for me but sadly so many of the ones I love, struggle here...
    I'm dreaming of building a green house one day as I would love to get
    back to my tropical roots!

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    7 years ago

@alpphy - The Colonial Hotel, you've got it. New owners now, its called The Post Card Inn. Not expecting snow and ice in Dunnellon, but 130 miles changes the climate surprisingly. For instance, I don't think the jacaranda tree grows there. Glad you're enjoying Dallas.

• Zerma Davis
    3 years ago

It seems the trunk is not getting any taller but the leaves keep a

• Zerma Davis
    3 years ago

Oh yes Audrey is

• Maria Chanda Q
    last year

Oh my goodness. I am so glad to find this discussion. I was searching for "ponytail palm leaves too long".

@C Duff: How is your plant doing?

@dinamc1: Audrey is marvelous.

I recently was "gifted" a mysterious plant. Well, my friend actually was giving it away as she was downsizing and this plant was not one of the lucky ones she wanted to keep. I believe it's a ponytail palm but I can also be wrong. I call her Cher.

When I first got her she had way more leaves and longer all the way past down the base of the pot. Leaves were very limp and having dry ends and so much of lower leaves yellow and brown I already removed. This is what she looks like now and I still see yellowing leaves in the bottom and I'm so worried she can be dying.

I've had her for just over a month now and I'm trying to do things slow to have her be more adjusted. But I've been seriously considering doing something more drastic and I'm worried it may even be worse. She has 3 very long stems from the main base so I presume she was cut before and a lot of online videos seem to suggest this is ok to do. Just not sure I have the guts to do it.

Help!

• C Duff
    Original Author
    last year

Cher looks to be a ponytail plan and quite lovely! What a wonderful gift to get! Even if unwanted, it sounds like she has found a wonderful home. Taking the time to research tells me she will be well loved.

Harry is doing very well. What have i learned over my journey with Harry is that he is super hardy and still the love of my life (plant wise). I finally took the plunge and re-potted him and then took the BIG plunge, I cut all of his heads. Hi was getting too heavy and unwieldy to drag him in and out fall and spring. I have also found that he loves to be pot bound and in moving him to a small pot, he has continued to thrive. I'll attached photos of Harry through his journey.

September 2018: Timming his long lock to get ready for a re-pot and de-bugging /wash and bringing in for winter. I don't usually trim his fronds but I knew I would be re-potting him and cutting off his heads in the coming months.

September 2018 roots before trimming

September 2018 roots after comb out and trim

Harry in his new plastic pot (only thing I had on hand that was shallow, light weight and wouldn't be prone to tipping over. I decided to let him settle into his new pot before taking the next big step, He was not much to look at for some time!

I cant find the photos of cutting off his heads but I used a serrated steak knife and then let them air dry for 48 hours (inside) and then used titebond waterproof wood glue to "seal" his wounds. I believe I cut them off in Late November 2018.

I did not water him until new sprouts started growing so he went about 5 months with no water. He was in the house in my from room about 5 feet away from a south facing window. Once he started budding out, I moved him outside and started watering him once a week (he was getting about 5-6 hours of direct sun each day). I did also selectively pinch some of the buds off as I felt that if all grew out, they would be too crowded and hard to clean. I left most outward facing buds and oinched back inside facing and some side facing buds. Each stalk ended up with 3-4 buds at most.

The photo below is from April 2019 and will show you how much of his stalks I cut off. I cut them uneven so he wouldn't look like his head was lopped off.

March 2020: Harry inside with a full head of hair! Sitting in from of a south facing wind, watered every 3-4 weeks when inside. Looking much better now! Back to the old Harry I know.

May 2020, Harry back outside in 6-7 hours full sun (Morning sun 8am -2pm and shade in the afternoon in hottest part of Dallas TX summer heat.

Fast forward to Aug 2021, Harry is looking much better. I think I have finally found a good pot for him The one below is wide and short and very very heavy. That said, when he is outside I do strap him down as the winds will knock him over. He fell over shortly after this photo and lost on of his heads so he is going through a regrowth faze and looks a bit lop sided.

I am so glad I finally had the courage to cut off his heads, it has made him look much healthier, easier to move around and more compact when inside during the winters.

If you are thinking of wanting to cut back Cher, you certainly can! I would suggest putting her in a shallower pot and letting her settle in for the rest of the summer. In November you could cut her back, stop all watering and wait till spring and see what sprouts! Or you can live with her for a year as is and plan on cutting her back in Fall 2023. If you re-pot, make sure she is in succulent/cactus soil and don't over water her (this is why I would suggest a shallower pot). It will make assessing her water need easier.. One other thought, when Harry goes out for the Summer, he spends 2-3 weeks in partial shade, then into full sun with no ill effects.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions and keep me posted on how your doing with Cher, I'd love to hear an update!

• Maria Chanda Q
    last year

Thank you so kindly for taking the time to share your journey with Harry!  Harry looks so dapper after the repotting and cutting.  Very much appreciate your time and the details, timeline and pictures you provided.  This is truly helpful, and pretty much connected all the dots… tips and other advice I got from other sources. You pretty much summarized it in a thoughtful  and cohesive way with your experience with Harry.  Bless your heart!

I've made a plan for Cher in line with your suggestions.  Only difference is since we're in Calgary ἞8἞6,  Cher will be 100% indoors, albeit she will be in a room that gets plenty of sunlight.  

I'm wondering what happened to the heads after being cut off?  Did you propagate?

Thanks again!!!

• C Duff
    Original Author
    last year

Ah yes, indoors for Cher, she will be very happy to be inside away from Calgary winters! I'm glad Harry and I could help. I had a hard time finding photos and details on this subject and was hoping a few photos might help others. I really think everyone needs a Ponytail Palm in their life!

Have you checked her roots yet, do they look good?

I did try growing them but with not luck. I let them dry for a few days and put them in a cactus mix and nothing ever happened other then they withered away in a slow death.

Would love to hear updates on her if you think about it. Cheers to Cher!

• Maria Chanda Q
    last year

I will be giving Cher a haircut today, then give her some time before repotting, then check her roots.  Have to find a new shallow and wider pot which I believe you're right will be more suitable.  Agree everyone needs a ponytail palm! Will document Cher's progress.  Thanks again for the confidence to know how to move forward.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

I also have PP love! Took this pic over the weekend. Mine doesn't have the more elegant curly leaves, but I love her anyway.

• C Duff
    Original Author
    last year

What an amazing photo, its like a fireworks explosion! How long have you had her? Does she spend the summers outside? Welcome to the PP fan club!

last year

Thank you very much! Had since 2013. Yes, it is outside for most of the year.

Here's a pic from 2014:

In April, just after being repotted. It has had a major growth spurt in the past 6 weeks.

C Duff thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • Maria Chanda Q
    last year

@C Duff:  How are you?  I took the leap: Gave Cher a major trimand repotted.  Roots were not too bad, mostly on outer edge and hollow on the inside.  I think she will be ok.  Also exposed her nice codex.  Just not sure at this point when will be the best time to chop off the limbs.  Should I wait in the fall or should I do it this summer?  Thoughts? :)

• C Duff
    Original Author
    last year

Fabulous now that we can see Cher in all her glory! Oh my, Maria, you took the leaf of faith, Cher looks great! I bet with the trim and repot, her elegant ballerina like figure (caudex ) will plump up a bit. She looks very elegant with her long slender look! I love that we can now see her in full :) You must be so happy to have accomplished this!

I found the same with Harry when I repotted him, most roots where on the outside. Having only chopped Harry's heads off once... Here was my thinking: Cut them off in fall, allow him to sit in a low light area and water once a month at most. Let him gather strength for spring. Come March he had new sprouts starting. At first they were little bumps, then fully fledged sprouts and then by summer, he was on his way to his new stout look.

I think late fall may be best as you will want to stop watering her due to her having no leaves, plus this will give her time to re-establish her roots between now and then. Harry did fine with watering him once a month in winter. I only started watering him once a few of his sprouts were about an inch long and green. If you look at the photo above of him with his heads cut off and the one before it, you will notice that his caudex is plump in the one with his heads and then it is more wrinkly in the one with the new sprouts. We do this same routine each winter. He looks dehydrated early spring from the lack of water in the winter but by spring he's re-hydrated and plumped up.

Have you thought about how much you want to cut off?

I look forward to the next update on Cher!

• C Duff
    Original Author
    last year

@ tiffany - your PP is so cute (1st photo) and then turned in to such an elegant PP (and so happy)! What is your watering schedule? Are you able to keep it outside most of the year? Much full sun? Hope you don't mind me asking, did you name your PP?

last year

Thank you! I've really enjoyed having it around. Don't mind the questions at all.

Yes, my plant is outside for 8-9 months, a few hours of AM sun. While inside for winter. a spot right by a S or W window for winter. I water it often, every 2-3 days when it's hot, and on the weekends while inside over winter. If the soil gets dry, the tips turn brown, so I try to avoid that.

Sadly, my plants don't have people names. I have so many, I struggle to remember their botanical names sometimes. Especially the new ones I've had for only a few yrs or less.

In the spirit of sharing info, not to be pedantic, it's caudex, not codex. And your plant las a lovely one! I can't believe someone had covered that much of it with soil. It's a good thing that it is much more uncovered now.