SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Pet Peeves in the Garden

melissa_thefarm
17 years ago

What faults in garden design/execution bug you the most? I'll lead the charge:

I hate DINKINESS. Gardens should be lush, joyful, cheerful, noble, abundant. This is not a renunciation of pruning, nor of architecture (form, volume, not structures), which are always necessary. It's not about size: a garden of one square yard can be noble, and a garden of a thousand acres can be dinky.

I also dislike gardens which completely ignore the natural environment in which they are placed: thirsty acidophile plants in droughty alkaline soil, for example (I saw one of these being installed yesterday). I am fundamentally suspicious of gardens which force those who maintain them into an endless all fronts war against nature.

Note that personal taste is involved here. My dinkiness is someone else's order; and no doubt many Italians would turn up their noses at my garden with its wild poppies seeded all over, its once-blooming roses, primitive irises, hay mulch, its anything-but-English-lawn grass. But it certainly isn't dinky.

Melissa

Comments (82)

• erasmus_gw
    17 years ago

Yes, mulch is good. I work hard to get my mulch, and put it around my plants. But I think there's a difference between a garden and a landscape. Much time is spent in one and little in the other. A garden is much less predictable!

My garden has been fussing at me to correct what I said about it being a wild exuberance. They believe they are pretty well behaved and quite distinct from one another, NOT any sort of disordered tangle. At least that's what they think although Golden Celebration can be seen with his arm around Moonlight and Comtesse du Cayla and Mons. Tillier butt heads.
    I do think that we can express our tastes without saying someone shouldn't be gardening unless they do it like we do.
    The main person who bugged me about growing roses never saw my garden and made up her mind about roses being ugly way before she met me. She decided that all rose gardens have straight rows of blooms on sticks. But it's a good thing we all have our opinions, I think, most likely, or rather..I hope.
    Linda

• jody
    17 years ago

Oooh, I hate to see those murdered crape mrytles also. Red died mulch - talk about unnatural.

My biggest pet peeve right now is rabbits. I think they are doing more damage than the freeze.

• Related Discussions

Gardening pet peeve - improper spacing & placing of shrubs

Q

Comments (28)
    Boy, am I guilty of some of this stuff. I'm always planting too close and for some reason I seem to think bigger is better. However, as some have recognized, if something gets too big, just whack it down and let it start over again. In the case of succulents one can just cut large pieces of a mature specimen and start them someplace else. In this pic I'm posting, that large shrub in the top corner is a Cape honeysuckle (Tecomaria capensis). I have to whack that thing down about every five years. I'm not going to replace it though because it has 3-4 wonderful bloom flushes every year and the Hummers love it. Also, that patch of modest sized Euphorbias next to it, well eventually they get about 40 feet tall! I'm 60 years old so I don't worry about that--but I do take SUBSTANTIAL cuttings and root them someplace else in the yard or give them to friends. One of the benefits I've noticed of planting "too closely" is that I don't get the unwanted weeds and grasses (or at least quite so many) like my neighbors do. Also, because I live in a dry area, I don't have to water so much when plants are more closely spaced (don't ask me why--just doesn't seem to dry out as quickly between waterings). I think one of the issues not discussed is that some like a nice looking yard, but don't really like gardening all that much. It does make a difference (one's attitude). -Ron-
    ...See More

Daylily Pet Peeves or Things I Don't Like

Q

Comments (4)
    :o) Some thoughts before I join you in looking for those catalogs . . . 1. I'm probably one of the few that doesn't dab pollen (tried it once, couldn't get the seeds to germinate and figured I'd rather pay for someone else's trouble than wait three years to see a lousy creation of mine). 2. I agree, if I don't generally like the hybridizer's introductions. ;o) If I do, then they can intro as many as they want. 3. I'm in Michigan -- don't care about it. 4. I don't care for spiders, I DO like UFs, and it depends on the double. Once I saw in person a daylily with chicken fat edges, I decided I do like them after all. 5. I like this addiction. Talking about how good I've been NOT buying more expensive cultivars just makes me want them more. I'll stick with my present buying habits (lots of daylilies, but still haven't spent more than $75 for one). 6. Beautiful photos are terrific. But if someone loves daylilies enough to snap a terrible picture of one, and then posts it, I'm happy to look. I understand the need to share. 7. Couldn't agree more. 8. Ditto. 9. I'm in Michigan. What's rebloom? Just my opinions!
    ...See More

Biggest Pet Peeves

Q

Comments (43)
    Kingturtle I believe you mean Bradford Pears which, suck as a tree, are overused by developers and builders, love to snap in the slightest wind, and have flowers which smell like dead fish. That Pear? 'Cause Bartletts are tastey. Bumblebeez, you quit talkin' bad about my metal and plastic edging. Just for your enjoyment I have pictured just how well these products work. Plastic edging> See how well this has contained my weed problem? Metal Edging> While this one won't stop weeds either it sure helps to hold this patio in place and will eventually become unseen after the sedum takes over. Both? For an extra thrill, here is a piece of plastic intersecting a piece of metal.
    ...See More

September Conversation Thread: Your Pet Peeve

Q

Comments (42)
    I keep a lot of notes. I started out just putting everything into one big document but it made it so big and disorganized that I finally just started keeping separate ones. Just named them simply, "Gourds", "Garlic", "Tomatoes", "Peppers", etc so I can find them quickly. I never print them out cause then I lose them! Or they get wet and the ink runs. I have found that some things grow better in containers, some grow better at ground level and some grow better in raised beds. And all that probably depends on the type of soil a person has. Mine is black gumbo clay. Beth, I'm proud of you for having the resolve to get off government assistance. I deplore the way the program is run. I would so love to see them add classes for the people on their programs. Many of them don't even know how to cook so they're spending those food stamps on expensive convenience foods instead of, say, buying a whole chicken. I get three good meals out of one whole chicken. When I'm done with it, there's nothing left but some soft bones and a little limp skin, which I bury out in the garden and then put something on top of it so the dog can't dig it up. But anyway, education is the key, to my mind, and you are wise to be trying to learn to garden. Even if a person can only grow something in a pot, they gain knowledge from the experience. There was a man selling corn out of his truck in a parking lot near here over the weekend. He was getting $7 a dozen for his ears of corn and they weren't real big. And he had a few black diamond watermelon but he wouldn't sell them because he said the ones he had sold had come back because they weren't ripe yet. He was selling them for $10 each. He'll probably be back next weekend with ripe ones, if all this rain doesn't split and ruin them all. Think of all the corn you could grow for $7, and all the watermelon you could grow for $10. Even if the rain did split the melons, if you got out there right away, brught them in and processed them, you'd still get good value. You can save seed from grocery store vegetables. Sometimes they'll be hybrids so they won't grow exactly like what you bought, but they'll grow something. I've gotten some wonderful cantaloupe by having the seed in the compost bin germinate. And I planted grocery store Arkansas tomatoes this year. They made beautiful round tomatoes but the flavor wasn't nearly as good as George's Baker Family Heirlooms. Sometimes I check out the marked down produce just for the seed that I might get. Last year I grew spaghetti squash from the seed of a grocery store purchase.
    ...See More
  • melissa_thefarm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The original sin that makes lousy gardens--or better, nongardens--isn't lack of time, or lack of money, or lack of skill, and certainly not lack of taste. It's lack of interest. Money doesn't have much to do with it, as poor people who live in a culture with a gardening tradition demonstrate. They have plants; they have gardens. I can understand a beginner who doesn't know any gardeners and doesn't have any money to go out to the garden center and buy plants being buffaloed for a while, but otherwise, people who want plants get them sooner or later. They get passalong plants, they grow cuttings and seeds. They may not be growing rarities, and it doesn't matter: they can have wonderful gardens, in the ground or in pots, just the same. I spend plenty on my garden, to be sure, but I have irises collected from the side of the road, sage descended from the first batch I grew from seed, dozens of roses I grew from cuttings, other roses, shrubs, succulents given to me or propagated from friends' plants, and artemisia (I think) and a species sage dug up from our land. God, I sound self-righteous. Sorry. But I do strongly believe in gardens that aren't totally dependent on money and the skills of the nursery industry, grateful though I am for them.

Melissa

• medusa_
    17 years ago

My pet peeve are neighbors who give gardening advice and go on and on about their yard but actually never do anything--they hire landscapers to do everything!!

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

I live in a cookie cutter subdivision. I dont know if the builder did this or an uneducated home owner but MANY of the folks in my subdivision have plantings that bad news. Typically, planted RIGHT in front of the picture window or RIGHT against the foundation of the house you can see the following:

Southern Magnolia TREE (grows to 90 ft)
    Chinese loropetalum (grows 6 to 15 feet)
    Privet (10-12 feet)
    and/or various Cedar TREES

I think they see the one gallon version and think...."oh yeah...that will go in that 18" space between the sidewalk and foundation just fine!!"

I want to take a shovel or at a minimum hedge trimmers to help them out. Its crazy!!!!!

:o)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    17 years ago

* Foundation planting of all evergreens

* Said evergreens forced into looking like giant green meatballs or other unnatural shapes and/or severely pruned

* Foundation planting with no evergreens - c'mon up here we need *something* to look at in the winter months, and a couple of nicely naturally shaped evergreens can really perk up the place (unless, of course, they are trained to look like meatballs, in which case I'd rather not be forced to look at them), especially if artfully combined with great winter interest deciduous shrubs/trees.

* White pots. I *loathe* white plastic pots. If one wants to go the plastic route, green blends in so much better and allows to the plant in the pot to be the focus of attention.

* Too much "stuff"/clutter. I like ornamentation, but sometimes folks go overboard and it just looks messy, especially with the "cutesy" stuff, like someone above mentioned.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Those swept yards are traditional in many rural areas.

It discourages invasive grass & weeds & critters, defines paths, & adds some order to those lush plantings.

& you don't need a mower & a sprinkler system to keep them up!

• emilyg
    17 years ago

Tree topping.
    A front yard that is just grass.
    Too many chemicals on anything.

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    17 years ago

...How about dolls...I drove by a garden a few years ago that was decorated with dolls...baby dolls...lots of them...they had been there for some time by the shape of them...it was about the most creepy thing I had ever seen...And the most horrifying thing is that I just know that inside that house was someone who was ever so very proud of his/her inventiveness...I think I actually screamed...

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    17 years ago

Sue - yikes that *is* creepy!!

• mariannese
    17 years ago

I wonder what some of you'd say about my front yard? It has no less than 11 meatballs in it, one large in yew, the smaller ones in various sizes in boxwood. And at the back is my capercaillie and my husband's turkey, both in yew and other simpler topiary figures. They are not noticeable in summer when they are almost hidden by the lush growth around but they come into their own in winter, powdered with snow.

"or they think it's funny in some overeducated ironical way" This may apply to my husband who is a professor and likes garden gnomes, but in his case it is also a reaction against his childhood garden. He grew up in his grandmother's perfectly beautiful and stylish walled garden, invisible from the street. She was a garden teacher trained in Berlin in 1910 but practised her skills only in her own garden, with the help of a gardener, of course. My husband was a very lonely child, after he had let some "undesirable" children in through the back door, all children were banned. So now it is important to have an amusing garden and for both children and grown-ups to have fun in it. Our trees are both for fruit and for climbing, with ladders for the little ones, lots of soft fruit for eating from the bush and not kept for jam only, secret gardens and secret paths.

Marianne in Sweden

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Marianne, I love the backstory of your gnomes! Tell your husband that's the way to do it.

I may get me a flock of plastic flamingos to rebel against my too-rich-whitebread-peer roots, the best-friend's mom who laughed at me at 7 for pronouncing potpourri wrong reading it for the first time ;]

I do tend to let cedars grow where they want to, if they seem to really WANT to :)

My friend/neighbor is my peeve with her 'you are killing this' or 'I do that [instead]'. But I do enjoy seeing her so proud of her gardens [secretly noting that she kills much more than I do]. I loved it last autukmn when she accused me again and I got to say "Ugh, not dying... FALL." Oh, my ;]

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    17 years ago

Marianne...Gardening to attract or welcome childern is delightfull...I love the little things that you can put on trees that make it look like tree faces (don't know what the trees think of them though)...and a bit of something or other poking here and there leads me to look further...to see what can be discovered...But let me tell you...20 or thirty filthy dolls in various states of disrepair and undress is something that quinton Tarintino should look deeper into...or maybe a setting for the next Chain saw massacre...
    Meredith...I love your rebel flamingos...Some things you just can't say in words...but a flamingo will say it quite nicely ;)

• carla17
    17 years ago

Shrubbery shaped into balls.
    Plastic flowers
    No foundation plants
    Planters that look like a person's head
    Something too cute, needs taste

Carla

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Sue, bwahaha!:

"Some things you just can't say in words...but a flamingo will say it quite nicely"

I think I'll sew that on a pillow for Mrs Scary Snoot ;]

• miamibarb
    17 years ago

Some of my pet peeves aren't just aesthetic:

Lollipopping trees--makes them more susceptible to being blown down in windstorms. It's an illegal practice in Miami for that reason.

Planting invasive (or problem) exotics--Ficus trees are not supposed to be planted as trees, but can still be purchased as a patio pot plant. We had one neighbor line his driveway with a series of them. (Ignorance) Around the same time another neighbor lost a huge ficus after a couple of rainy weeks had loosened the soil. This full-grown, top-heavy, weakly-rooted monster just slowly toppled over *after* one storm. Wasn't the wind, just wet soil. The second neighbor wisely replanted with a tree that is recommended. (I feel a bit sorry for the new owners of the ficus driveway. Eventually they will have an expensive problem.)

White rock as mulch looks bad--especially when it has weeds growing in it. However it's nothing compared with cementing over the whole front yard. Not only is this plant-free landscaping, but this practice is turning flood-free streets into flood-prone ones. My city is actively discouraging people from cementing over there front lawns, but some areas have not been as proactive.

• rjlinva
    17 years ago

I have NEVER seen the white marble/gravel look good. But, some people think it is just what the yard needs...

Lately people are putting up these faux wishing wells and/or baskets made out of landscaping timbers....not in my yard!

Robert

Oh, something that looks really good in a yard is a dead beaver floating on the pond....guess who just shot another one BEFORE it devestated the roses...

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

People who don't garden and then come to my garden and point to some weeds that I missed! Or my husband pointing to some tall vegetation beside the driveway and saying I ought to mow that -- but that's blue lobelia and bidens and gerardia, with some tall grass mixed in... He's not a neat freak in the yard exactly, but unfortunately neatness and a mowed lawn is so engrained in the culture. I have to fight it too. I just want a mowed place large enough so that the bugs don't drive me crazy.

Late freezes

Deer

• pagan
    17 years ago

LOL at the dead beaver in the bond!! Put his head on a spike as a warning to the rest! We have a woman in town who dresses her flock of flamingos according to the season/month/holiday. I think they are great! Another house has nothing BUT fake flowers - all over the place! No grass, no trees or shrubs, just masses of plastic flowers! Gotta give her a vote for being different! I think 'different' (witness my cottage garden in a subdivsion of golf-course yards) takes more courage and is much more fun then 'same'

"Nothing is more unnerving to the truly conventional then the unrepentent misfit"!!

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    17 years ago

Ok...howbout the plywood cut outs shaped and painted like kids peeing on trees...

And yes on the invasive...but could be simple ignorance...My last house had a rather large field of 'german rubarb...or japanese bamboo' I really do not know its proper name and you couldent kill it with a nuclear weapon...My neighbor (the previous owner) told us his late father planted it...when he left my husband said "I am going to find that man... dig him up and smack him upside the head"....

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

LOL sue!!!!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    17 years ago

"Nothing is more unnerving to the truly conventional then the unrepentent misfit"!!

Love it, Pagan. Gotta find some appropriate place to put that for certain people to see!

Peeve: Mail carriers who tromp through the flower bed between my driveway and my neighbor's driveway.
    Mail carrier (looking right at Double Knock Out and a dozen Stella d'Oros): "How was I supposed to know those were flowers?"
    Duh!

Kate

• melissa_thefarm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm with EmilyG about the tree topping and her other complaints. Tree topping is an awful mutilation: just imagine an atlas cedar with its crown cut off. The forum is no place for the language this practice prompts.

I'm generally unfriendly to the imitation and the fake, but I do have a weakness for topiary and pruned hedges. (Marianne, you have a friend.) The plant has to be the right one: I'd never prune a forsythia into an egg shape as I see done, for example. And my country garden's informality isn't right for strict geometrical pruning. But I've had the idea for a section of evergreen garden with a lot of pruned plants in it in the back of my head for a good while now. Perhaps I'll work it out some day.

Melissa

• ehann
    17 years ago

Before I moved to Florida, my mother used to complain about how tacky they were. She couldn't understand how people could have them in their front yards.

Well, when I moved here I told mom that after she died, I was going to plant a flock of big Pink Flamingos on her grave instead of flowers.

This caused a good laugh, and mom cheerfully agreed I could.

When Mom and Dad came to visit the first time, she brought me a gift: 2 Pink Flamingos! They are proudly stuck in the ground between Tamora and Perfect Moment. I giggle every time I see them. :)

• dmcevenue
    17 years ago

the worst thing I've seen in our area...just north of town on a country road, some real "funny" person has planted up an old blue toilet and put it out at the end of the driveway....YUCK !!

• robin_d
    17 years ago

My neighbor across the street has a cheesy-looking life-size deer on his front lawn (I think it's an archery target) lined up in a row with a bunch of rusty metal scraps of who-knows-what. Any of the metal bits alone would look kinda cool tucked into a flower bed, but they are lined up like soldiers in the middle of a sea of lawn, with the plastic deer in the middle. Wow.

Oh well - I know for a fact that at least one of my neighbors (kitty-corner from me) thinks my garden is completely over-the-top because every bit is rose garden, including the parking strips. They are more into discipline - lawn and little shrubs, and everything just so, which certainly isn't me. To each their own, right? :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:244588}}

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Robin your garden is beautiful. Your neighbor needs to open his or her mind. :)

• melissa_thefarm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Robin,
    That's a very inspiring garden, and your house looks lovely. Congratulations!

Melissa

• bayrose
    17 years ago

My bigest pet peeve is every time a get a new plant some one in my house has to groan and say not another one. I am getting a lot of that now beacause I just riped out the lawn in the front to put in a rose garden. I only needed to order 3 cubic yards of mulch and that is about 4 in. deep in my yard. sigh

The other thing I see alot of is all those yards that look the same. Go to San Bruno and it is like one long strip of grass and they all are very neat and tidy, not a blade out of place.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    17 years ago

A neighbor of mine put a tacky fountain of a squirrel shooting water from its mouth right smack in the front yard. Every time I pass it I wonder what possessed them to put it there.

• mikentx
    17 years ago

All green yards. Nothing but a couple of trees, grass and a green moustache around the base of the house.

So many spinners, feeders, windchimes, etc. hanging in one tree that it looks like Christmas.

Patios and decks taking up 90% of the lot.

Uninspired landscaping. Here in my area, that would mean a row of red tip photinia, cherry sage and a redbud tree out front.

All potted plants and no flower beds.

Topped trees.

Butchered Crepe Myrtles.

Plastic flowers wrapped around your mailbox.

Straight narrow beds that trace the property line.

Weed blocking fabric. As far as I can tell, it does not stop weeds from coming up in my neighbor's beds and just keeps shedding little tattered pieces that end up in MY yard.

Someone who drenches their entire property with malathion whenever they spot an ant or a sowbug.

Someone who goes nuts every spring planting flowers and then lets everything die as soon as summer kicks in.

• gilroythorns
    17 years ago

I actually think, on a country road, a blue toilet planted with flowers would be kinda cool :)

• luanne
    17 years ago

Well, peevishness is a state of mind devoutly to be avoided and yet (talk about the call of the wild--got nothing on the call to complain...hmmmm).
    A cemented over yard breaks my heart.A yard full of invasives looking for a new home(I can see their hitchhiking signs--"need ride to Luanne's house will work for ride", like a Morning Glory ever did one measley chore!)Too much of that red rock, the crenellated brick edging,Shasta daisies,big masses of generic plants, gallardia, juniper etc. (I note that I complain just fine once I get started...)
    Well and then there are the people who get threatened if you have a passion about anything. The pastor who came to tell me when I was planting my garden "You spend a too much money on your garden!" with a proud little nod at having correctly expressed the problem.I looked him straight in the eye and said (passionately of course)"It's what I love." He had the grace to turn red and say "Oh." Why wouldn't that be the answer he was expecting? I quietly left a handful of cigarette butts on his inverted garbage can lid(tossed into my beds by his son.) And that could well be another pet--why do people think those things are acceptable to toss on the ground? Do you know that in the small towns of France they smoke but the butts go in public ashtrays! Waiting for that idea to catch on here.... I gotta stop this pdq.
    la

• jackied164 z6 MA
    17 years ago

I am afraid to even respond to this because it seems like eventually all of the things I dislike (or think I dislike) in gardens end up in my garden.

For example I have a garden Gnome. It was given to me as a joke by a brother in-law. Well he now has a name (Walter) and is part of my garden. He even overwinters in the shed for protection. I came around when I found that moving him around into garden beds seemed to protect them from my nemesis the groundhog.

So here are my pet peeves. The orange/red mulch...why do people want their yards to look like gas stations? Red salvia - it is always planted in very bad areas and most often in the single line. This plant, I think, suffers the worst abuse by non-thinking people who believe that anything should grow when put in a small hole in the dirt in their yard. I guess that is my biggest pet peeve, people that seem to not realize that you have to think about the soil inorder to really garden.

• bayrose
    17 years ago

I don't know if it is still there but in a small town on the way to Sacramneto, I think it is Lock, there was a woman who did her yard in all diffrent kinds of toilets and used them for planters. I always smile when I think of her creativity. I thought it was great.

• erasmus_gw
    17 years ago

Luanne, that's funny about your talk with the pastor.

In a town near me..Carla's town in fact, there is a yard with a toilet planter in the front yard and a few other knicknacks. They have a sign that says, "Donate Yard Decorations Here". I like it. I do believe the flowers in the toilet are plastic.

One of the neatest yard objects I've seen was a big old iron bed planted full of flowers.
    Speaking of flamingos, darn if I don't have a yellow heron in my rose bed! Same difference! Long neck, long legs. It's not plastic, but still.
    I don't like azaleas and forsythia pruned into balls either but do like boxwood and hollies round sometimes. Most gnomes I've seen look good. I even have a concrete statue of a wizard with an owl on his shoulder and a frog with his head on his hand.
    Pot calling kettle black,
    Linda

• awomanwhois
    17 years ago

Nobody mentioned spaghetti cement edging? Maybe it is just in this part of the country. Every new development comes with your standard landscaping, including the ever popular spaghetti cement edging and red mulch, in the classic kidney shape blob on the front yard.

Olga, loved your garden by the way.

• rjlinva
    17 years ago

I think it might be fun to start a photo thread of some of these "nightmares".....Perhaps I'll take my camera out with me today as I drive around...I'll probably include pictures from my own yard to scare some of you...

Robert

• buford
    17 years ago

My mom sent me a statue of a cat looking through binoculars. I put it right out front looking towards my cherry tree which has a bird feeder in it. Some people drive by quick and stop, thinking it's a real cat.

RE plastic flowers. The first two houses when you enter our subdivision were models and had beautiful, if kinda boring landscaping (at least they had SOME). Of course they were sold to people who knew nothing about gardening and could care less (one barely mows his lawn, or lawn of weeds). All winter the first house had these cheesy pink plastic flowers in the front. One day while driving by, my husband (gardening challenged) said 'those are nice, we should get those, they bloom all winter!'. He didn't believe me when I said they were plastic. 'Who would put plastic flowers in their yard?'.

• winterrobin
    17 years ago

Melissa, I have friends who live in a seashore town near me, and they love to grow plants for the birds, bees, and butterflies. Unfortunately for them, their landscaping ideas did not suit their neighbors, nor the town governing body, and they were actually cited for an "overgrown" property!!!

I guess the neighbors won't be happy until my friends go "dinky", mow everything to the ground, replace all vegetation with bright white stones and plant a pathetic few red and yellow celosia. Sad, no?

OK...my main pet peeve....flowers grown inside an old tire that's been painted white. Egad!

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Great moments in movies involving Gnomes:

The Full Monty-you have to see it for yourself. Doesn't bear explaining.

Wallace and Grommit, Curse of the Were Rabbit (gnome hides a security camera behind its eyes to catch rabbits)

I really need to learn to post pics because there is a guy by my friend's place who has plastic flowers all over the yard, and flowers or who knows what growing in those white 3 gallon ice cream buckets, wooden cutouts all over.
    It is truly a shrine to bad taste. No wonder the For Sale sign has been up for so long.

• pagan
    16 years ago

"A shrine to bad taste..." sounds like something I want to have painted on a sign!

• jim_w_ny
    16 years ago

Some very funny comments, I laughed a lot!

Well in the defense of mulch, I use grass clippings over newspaper. i think it looks good and is far superior and easier than trying to keep the beds weed free.

Well the most obnoxious front yard in our area is a small pond surrounded by these big odd shaped rocks, and scattered all over the "lawn".

Oh yes, I forgot my neighbors front yard in which he has put all sorts of rusted old farm machinery. The final touch is a plastic deer pulling a hay rake. Now he lets the grass grow until it is knee high then he finally mows it using this immense tractor that makes an enormous noise, something for use on a farm for cutting hay, I think. And weed wacks around the old farm stuff for hours. He loves noise making machinery. And we are at odds over our vastly different politics which doesn't help when he revs up his stuff. Oh yes did I mention his chain saw for cutting fire wood. Of which he has a huge pile on his lawn.

As you can tell I live in a once predominately farming area.
    t

• rainlily_sis
    16 years ago

I think I love everybody's garden, whether it be full of yard ornaments or classicly groomed or cottage style or just a few daylilies here and there -

but the one thing that drives me crazy is when something tips over, like the birdbath or the garden gnome or the pink flamingo, and no one EVER STANDS IT UP AGAIN! It becomes the focal point of the garden for me every time I drive by and causes the hair on the back of my neck to rise up and my teeth to grit. I'm always tempted to pull over and sprint in there and stand it back up but there are a lot of hunters in our area and I'm positive that their spouses can also load those rifles. So I suffer in silence.

(tee hee!)

• mainerose
    16 years ago

joet1485---Some of us love the informal look of old roses and tend to be judicious when it comes to pruning and shaping. Some of us (alas I am one!) probably keep purchasing more plants than we really have time to tend. I hope you would not deny us that pleasure just because our plants tend to look a bit unkempt. Some of us actually prefer that look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outer rose hedge

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

"A shrine to bad taste..." We use those plastic poinsettia flowers in the winter for our flower box. It is just something for texture.

You have given me an idea. I will check out the plastic farm at the hobby store and see what I can find to irritate everyone with.

Actually there is a lot of work having a gnome farm. One has to keep all of those suckers painted and stuff. Some are even cute. I can admire them in others yards. If I get my BB gun fixed they will make great targets also. Super!

I am very lazy and Mr. Mulch is our friend. I am also cheap and I got one busted bag of bright RED mulch out of the 12 or so I got to cover the leaf-grass almost mulch in my newer bed. It is hard to spot in the jungle.

Green is nice in some ways. It covers a lot of sins.

Foghorn

• altorama Ray
    16 years ago

Sometimes I think someone's garden is 'not right' but I am
    almost afraid to think it, because I always wonder if my
    garden really looks ok. It is in the front yard. I
    didn't like a neighbor who said "What are you trying to do,
    make a botanical garden?" (whatever that means).

I don't like tipped over wheel barrels with flowers
    growing out of them...and flowers growing out of chairs. Just
    seems everyone is doing it now.

• sherryocala
    16 years ago

Olga, that's the best looking mulch I've ever seen! How do you get it to look so gorgeous? In my dreams my front yard is mulched exactly like yours. :)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Above all, poor maintenance.

Even the most ordinary plants, beautifully cultivated and sensitively placed and pruned, creates a wonderful garden.

Even the most splendid design and exotic plantings, if unwatered, unweeded, unloved, is a waste.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    16 years ago

One thing that makes me feel bad to see is small spruce or other large type evergreens planted in their infancy smack dab up against the building. Our neighbor has 2 blue spruce that were planted about 2' apart and are now 4' tall and totally one sided because they were planted against the siding and each other. Poor things - they could have been nice trees given the proper siting. Now they'll be cut down someday because they're "too big" - or worse yet, someone will limb them up above the eaves of the house into some kind of awkward umbrella!

Other than plant misuse/abuse, I find other people's gardens fun to look at. I don't always agree with people's taste, but what they think up is of interest to me none the less. Most of the time I can find something or other to admire. And it's the very spirit of gardening that I admire most. :-)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer