SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

SIMAC Il Gelataio 800 ''The Ice Cream Boy''

John Liu
14 years ago

I have a new toy.

A SIMAC Il Gelataio 800 "The Ice Cream Boy" ice cream maker that a friend bought in a garage sale for $10 and, because she already has an ice cream maker, gave to us.

This thing is, I'd guess, 20-odd years old, which is like 50 in appliance years. A bit aged around the edges, thicker and clunkier than the young'uns, but it works. Kind of like me. We're bonding. It's you and me against the world, Ice Cream Boy.

I'e never had the patience for homemade ice cream before, all the salt and freezing overnight and cranking, jeez I'd rather break down a dozen chickens and lick my hands clean thank you.

But the Ice Cream Boy is not like that. It has a self-contained freezing unit, with a compressor and Freon and all that. You pour the to-be-ice-cream in the stainless steel tub, push the CHILL and CHURN switches, and set the timer. Then walk away. Or put in ear plugs. It's noisy.

I've used it twice so far. The first time, I had banana gelato in 15 minutes flat. The second time, which is tonight, I am trying to make harder ice cream, so churned for 15 minutes and then transferred the soft ice cream into the freezer.

I'm loving my vintage ice cream maker! What's next - I'm thinking Amaretto gelato with toasted almonds, lychee gelato with sliced lychees, blueberry . . . it's like a the door to a whole new world of culinary creation has been opened. I'm striding through it. And I'm not coming back. Because I'm going to get so fat, I won't fit.

Comments (14)