SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

Chargers

Sandi_W
17 years ago

I thought it would be nice to have a post about chargers. What kind we should use for different looks and where to buy them. And what else that can be used as a charger.

I only have the gold plastic ones so far, but would love to add more.

Judith, It looks like the chargers you used on your tablesetting with the little pumpkin bowls might be serving platters. Tell us more please.

Sandi

Comments (68)

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, Your chargers sound so pretty. Time for more pics?? I wouldn't have thought to look at Joann's for chargers so thanks for that tip.

Judith, That dining room is drop dead gorgeous. Gold, pink, green and yellow and a rich, dark wood. Absolutely perfect for me! Is there any chance you have a close-up of the tablesettings?

• marylmi
    17 years ago

Sandi, Yes, sometime soon I will take some pictures, now that I 'sort of' have my camera figured out! lol! I just love that dining room table too Judith!

• Related Discussions

Do You Use Charger Plates?

Q

Comments (38)
    Yes, I do use charger plates, it does depend upon the occasion though. I definitely use them for all the holidays and special dinners (birthdays, anniversaries, special company dinner etc). And sometimes just for myself :) I really enjoy setting a pretty table, so using chargers is not a hassle to me, I've always considered it a special added detail to the tables look. I set the table to please me, and the people that come to dine. I would say it pleases most of the people who have enjoyed dining with me, although I do remember one year when I went all out at Christmas with some future relatives and used a crystal knife rest as part of the setting. The future mother-in-law of my DD did not see the need for the knife rest, which if OK with me, "different strokes for different folks". As for not having spinning plates as Chicagans asked about….I will use the shelf liners/rubber padding that you can get at most big box stores and grocery stores. I cut a circle out of about 6 inches or so to go in-between the charger and the plate, no more movement of the 2 plates when you use your knife to cut your food. Simple, inexpensive and it doesn't show under the plates. You can also put this circle of liner in-between the charger and the tabletop too. I usually use a table cloth or placemats to that usually keeps the charger from moving around too. The only time I don't use the rubber liner is when I use my silver chargers, the rubber is not good to touch real silver, so I will just use a white paper doily to separate the two items to protect from scratches to the silver charger. Patty cakes, tinam, and nutsaboutplants, thank you so much for your kind words, I am amazed you remember me, that really touches my heart. I am doing well with my health so far, I try to live each day with appreciation that I got another chance at life.
    ...See More

"Charger" plates

Q

Comments (29)
    I think it's more they're just very casual and aren't used to chargers, layered pretty set tables, or any centerpieces. Some of the people I don't think care either way, but a few I think feel it's too fancy/formal. I'll still bust them out if the mood strikes for the one side of the family. I think I may try doing it at least once a week just for us, just because. I don't have a ton of extra storage space so it's probably best I don't get too carried away with dinnerware. :) That said, I believe someone here suggested this site some time ago and I've been eyeballing this server spoon since. I think it's so dang pretty. And I JUST realized it's now unavailable...ack! Wonder if they'll bring it back. oak leaf serving spoon
    ...See More

Charger for PHEV

Q

Comments (42)
    Resurrecting this thread because my situation is changed, but similar questions apply. I'm selling the "main house" and moving full time to my vacation house. Last year I installed a 120 volt GFCI receptacle nearer my preferred parking area (snow kept sliding off my roof onto the original space!); this is on a dedicated 20A circuit. I'm now thinking about putting in a carport, which will be separated from the house by about 20 feet, so I will run underground cable from the house to the carport. I'll probably put in a sub panel and enough capacity to have two EVs. What should I run to have two at least level 2 chargers, as well as 110 volts for other purposes? Should I wire for a Tesla Supercharger? What would I need?. Regarding usage, my PHEV, when fully charged overnight, displays between 12 miles and 40 miles available on battery, depending on many things, including temperature and, perhaps, recent usage.
    ...See More

Current required for electric car chargers - level 2 and above

Q

Comments (7)
    So, Ron, for future-proofing, what size wire would you use - especially if you might want chargers for two cars? 160 Amps requires awfully heavy wire? I'm having a carport built which will be about 25 feet away from the house and I guess the wires must be buried 18", coming out through the foundation of my house right next to my breaker boxes (the power from the POCO comes into the back of the boxes at about that depth - two 200A lines).
    ...See More
  • luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Wow, look at all I've been missing on here all day! I had the GD from 10:30 until 8:00 today--so couldn't come chat on here. We had lots of fun--she is my little sweetie.

Well, I can tell I have to go out shopping this week again. Gotta checkout Dollar Tree for green stemware, Michael's for mirrors, and BL and Party City to see about chargers. LOL

OMG, Judith that pic is so drop dead beautiful. Love those oval mirrors--I might not have even noticed that detail if you had not pointed it out to us. You are certainly making me be more observant. Love the clusters of green grapes on the large candles too. I have to share this pic with my DIL, she was just saying that she loves the grapes but was not sure how to decorate with them. Now I can hardly wait to see your all crystal and all frosted tablesettings--you have so much to show us--that's a good thing for us--means this forum will stay busy for quite some time. Yippee!

Mary, sounds like you have found some nice chargers too. Would love to see your pics when you can share them too. Have you been dressing up your table all along, or are you new at it like some of us?

Kathleen, thanks for the website--I will go take a look. Yes, we do have to find a good price so that when the shipping is added on it is still reasonable.

Sandi, I have thought about cutting out some wood shapes to use as chargers. They would not be "dimensional", but could do some shapes like a shamrock or heart and paint them. Might even be able to add some beads or cord to add dimension. Some with painted roses on them would be nice under clear glass plates--might have to experiment with that idea. Thanks for suggesting it.

Luvs

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Judith, I just knew *yours* had to be silver with such a beautifully set table~you're not one to 'skimp'. I have a couple of round silver trays that I use on tables as part of the vignette, but now that I see you using them for chargers, i'll have to keep my eyes open for a few more! Flea markets are famous for old sterling!

That DR is TDF!! The green would also be beautiful with blue/white or black/white dishes~*either* with yellow accents.

IMO, when using the mirrored placemats, no charger is necessary~sometimes less, is more.

Mary, your chargers sound like they can be used for a lot of different colors/styles of dishes. That's ideal!

Judith, are we going to see what you bought on your shopping expedition? You know we're all just waiting, and not very patiently, I might add! LOL ;o)

patty_cakes

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, I was thinking again last night about wooden chargers. You could angle the outer edges. I can't think of the word I'm looking for. If you have a router it would work perfectly. Or you could put a piece of molding around a flat piece of wood, kind of like a picture frame. They would certainly be different. Any woodworking I do is outside so I'm thinking after spring gets here I might try a square one with the molding and do it in gold or silver leaf or rub n buff. Your painted ones would be so pretty. You do beautiful roses.

• dreamgoddess
    17 years ago

Did we all go shopping this weekend??? I came home with lots of goodies too.

I found the gold and silver chargers (these are the plastic ones) at Hobby Lobby this past weekend for $1.87 each. They were in really good condition without scratches. I bought the silver ones, but want to go back and get some of the gold ones also.

If you find chargers and they are scratched, don't pass them up! Wal Mart has a spray paint (I can't remember the brand name) called 18K gold. It is a beautiful, rich gold color and you can spray paint the chargers. This will eliminate any scratches they have. WM also has a silver paint that will work.

Luvs, you mentioned Judith's stacking plates...I found them at Hobby Lobby this weekend. There were three sizes, and each was sold separately. I bought all three and it was about $24 I think. They were Anchor Hocking plates.

Judth, that DR is to die for!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dreamgoddess, That's a good price on the chargers. We don't have a Hobby Lobby here. I sure wish we did. And congrats on your stacking plates. You will have so much fun with them.

• dreamgoddess
    17 years ago

Sandi, it seems like I saw them in just about every store I went in this past weekend. Big Lots had them for $1.99.

Do you have a Fred's store near you? It's sort of like between Wal Mart and a dollar store. They had tons of them in red, gold and silver.

• judithva
    17 years ago

I'm glad so many of you like that inspiration pic I just posted, I have always loved that room, that magazine clipping is quite a few years old. I've looked for years for those (or something like those yellow china dishes, no luck yet...) That room is so over the top, but it sings to me. I doubt I could ever do that wall color though because my DR is totally open to the LR, and I don't want the "apple green" every where. In the article this room was seperated from the rest of the rooms so they could go bold.

sandi w, Unfortunately, I don't have a close up of the dishes, the article did not provide one.

patty, you are right, you don't always need a charger, in this case the mirrored placematts give plenty of Wow.

Man, I wish I had a Hobby Lobby, I'm so jealous!!!!

Pattycakes, I got so much stuff, it even made me nervous... my DD just eyeballed me and said "I thought you weren't buying any more dishes after Christmas" I just gave her a "shifty" grin.... But really, I must slow down, I must, OK three more times........ I don't have any pics yet, but I bought a bunch of the yellow cabbage style plates, they will look great with white dishes and mixed in with the green cabbage plates. Also got the only 4 white cabbage bowls they had, I love the white, they are hard to find around here. I've been so busy I haven't even had time to play. But at least I've pretty much decided what I'll do about Valentines day (I'll have my DD and her "squeeze" over on the weekend, cause lets face it who actually wants to spend V-Day with their mom ? LOL

Luvs, I hope you make some wood chargers, with your painting talent you can have something totally unique!!!

• judithva
    17 years ago

luvs,
    another thought on your comment about details. One way I am assured of seeing all the details (of a room I love, I don't do this will all pictures) Is that I have a "Inspiration Room Inventory Sheet". If I find a look I adore, then I sit down with the picture and fill out that inventory sheet completly, A to Z, Ceiling to floor.

You would be amazed at the details at one time that I might normally miss if it wasn't for my inventory sheet.

It has also taught me to "see" things better than what I used to, sort of like being a "detective". All the "clues" are there, you just have to learn to "see" them.

Then I ask myself certain questions about it. I learned alot about what I really liked, don't like, or could use to make something work. My biggest limitations just seem to be money and my tiny house. LOLOLO

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Judith, You are really REALLY into looking at the complete details of a room~wow, an inventory sheet. Are you an accountant by chance? You are so detailed~Virgo? LOL When I sit and look thru my books/magazines, I just sit and stare at a picture, trying to take it all in thru my 'third eye', and hopefully, memorize it. With so many pictures, that's a hard thing to do, so your idea is a sure thing. I haven't quite mastered the art of being able to cut pictures out of my magazines yet~I can barely *think* it, yet DO it !LOL

You're house may be small, but you live life large with your drop dead, knock out, vignetes and table settings! Besides, I find a small home to have a coziness that you just can't get in a larger home~just my 2 cents. Mine is almost 1700 sq ft, but not one of those open floor plans, so I find the feel to be small and cozy.

Luvs you must be quite handy with a saw as well as a paint brush!LOL Sounds like making chargers could be the way to go. And how difficult could that be? First I have to get past my fear of electical equipment with blades. LOL

Sandi, you TOO? I have tools, and DO have a jigsaw, but am afraid of it. LOL I think it's the noise that comes with the sawing. LOL Will be watching to see that you and Luvs do.

Dreamgoddess, you went shopping TOO? Gee, I feel left out. Can we see what ya bought? I don't have a HL, but when I visit my best friend in IL, we always have to make several trips there. CA is really missing the boat by not having stores here! I'm still looking for a stacking plate, but may 'make do' with glass plates, glasses, and earth quake putty.LOL

So Judith, pics yet? I feel i'm living vicariously thru you and YOUR shopping trips.LOL ;o)

patty_cakes

• judithva
    17 years ago

Patty cakes, Oh, so you want pics huh, huh??? OK.... Just so happens I went home for lunch today, and took some quick "inventory shots"
    I'll post them in the Table Setting post.

patty, I only do an inventory for the pics that I really LOVE! Because it is a bit of work and takes time (depending on how much is in the picture).
    A lot of people may not need to do an inventory and have the natural talent for decorating, but I really don't, I have to study.....
    Over the years I have gotten a lot better at "looking", but just to make sure I don't miss a thing, I'll do an "inventory", and yes, I guess I am anal.... I am in a job that does require .....details......

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dreamgoddess, We don't have a Fred's around here, but I'm familiar with them as they have them in MS. Before Christmas I saw some emerald green plastic chargers somewhere, but can NOT remember where. I would love to have those for St Paddy's Day.

patty_cakes, My grandfather had a complete woodworking shop in his huge garage and made beautiful furniture and taught me the basics and helped me make small things. I have a few of the saws needed to make simple things, but not enough. I could manage to do some square chargers with rims though. Walmart has some very pretty clear glass plates with swirled lines in them. I think they were $1 or $1.50. The salad plates to match were 57 cents each. I bought one plate and 2 salad plates and a sundae cup for $1. I went to the dollar store and bought 1 clear glass candlestick for $1 and 2 clear glass votive cups for $1 each and hot glued it together. For under $8 I have some stacking plates that I love. Maybe later I can afford to buy a real set. I've just spent too much money lately.

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Did a little thrift store foraging today, and found a few things. I never use silver on my table, but couldn't pass up 4 sterling silver chargers for $4! They were in with some plastic and other shiny metal ones, but I know they're sterling because of the discoloration and they're heavy. Also found a more detailed round sterling tray to add to the two I already have~it was 2.50. Everything needs polishing, but I always enjoy putting new life into something old. I also got 6 ice cream glasses, just in case I decide to make my own stacking plates like Sandi did~$1 each.

Sandi, you go girl!! Any woman who can handle a saw is okay in my book! LOL ;o)

patty_cakes

• judithva
    17 years ago

patty cakes, wow that is great, good finds, we need to see them LOL. Homemade stacking plates are just as charming as the others, hey, as long as they can hold stuff they will be great.. I'm going to have to follow you shopping.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

I have seen wooden chargers at Joanne Fabric in the past. I haven't looked for them lately though. They were unfinished which was nice. I was always going to paint some an off white to use with my brown/white Thanksgiving dishes but so far haven't done that! I even looked for some over sized white plates but never found any.

I have been dressing up the table for quite some time, although my table is not as elaborate as shown in the pictures here! This forum is really inspirational!!

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Mary, this site is addictive, but a lot of fun. Pick and choose what you like!
    Patty, those sound like great finds, can't wait to see them!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patty_cakes, It sounds like you made some good finds today. I can't believe the silver chargers were so inexpensive. We want pics please.

Mary, I've got to get back to Joann's. Thanks for the tip on the wooden chargers.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi Ladies, I didn't get a chance to sign on here until now. Had errands to take care of and worked on cutting more of my roses back.

Judith, I actually like your inventory idea--especially to train one's eyes to really notice each detail. In many of the beautiful photos, it all blends together so well, that it is easy to appreciate the beauty, but not realize each item that makes it so special overall.

I stopped by the library on my way home today. Had sort of hoped they might have the Christy Carter or Mary Carol Garrity books--no such luck. I did check out a couple of decorating books that had a few tablescapes in them. Would love a book just on tables. They also had House Beautiful magazine--I've never subscribed to that one, do you think it might have good ideas for decorating tables?

Sandi, I think the unpainted chargers like Bebe showed in one of her posts would be easiest. Just cutting out a circle or square would be easy enough to do--but how pretty would it turn out? Maybe with nice wood trim on the edges. Maybe scalloped edges might be pretty and just decorate with paint. Maybe I'll get around to cutting something out and playing with it a bit. Even flat, it would be similar to the look of a flat mirror I guess.

Pattycakes, good for you on those sterling silver chargers--what a timely find! ;o) I think I mentioned on one of my posts that the little antique and collectibles store where I used to work always used Maas on their metals--it really worked well.

I'm in So. Calif. too--no Hobby Lobby--sure wish there were some. Don't have a Fred's either--Just Dollar Tree and lots of 99 cent stores. Thank goodness, there are two Walmarts, two Targets, two Ross, two Marshal's, two Michaels, and two Joanne's close by. Also, one Homegoods.

Pattycakes, I'm in Rancho Cucamonga--between Pasadena and San Bernardino--where are you located?

Luvs

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sandi, I almost forgot--at Homegoods, they had two kinds of gold chargers and one kind of silver ones. All were plastic, priced at $3.99 each. I noticed that allot of them were broken too. Luvs

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Luvs, I didn't know you were in So CA~i'm in San Diego. Have you even 'experienced' the Rosebowl? I cannot tell you how huge that place is. It's almost impossible to see everything in one day, but that's all you get, one Sunday a month. There's a lot of new sruff, but I like to hit the back rows where the used stuff is~not as cheap as the TS, but a much better selection. If you're looking for something in particuliar the chances of finding it are almost 100%.

There's a great place in Arcadia that has an estate sales once a month. I've gone a few times and got some great pieces. It's owned by two women who have been doing if for over twenty years and they 'buy up' estates from people/families as far as New York. I've seen a lot of beautiful pieces and the prices do not seem over inflated. They do not give dealers any preferance either~it's based on a numbers system, so you have to be there at 5am to get a number to be the first in the door, but it's worth it.

Do you ever get down to SD? We have a flea market every weekend that isn't too bad~I always manage to find a few things. LOL It's a lot of used stuff, but that's my whole reason for going in the first place. If I want new, i'll go to the mall. LOL As far as those discout stores, we're certainly not lacking. ;o)

patty_cakes

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Judith, one job that would require a lot of "details" would be a surgeon. Can't get more detailed than that!! LOL

patty_cakes

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Luvs, where can I buy this product? Is it like a cleanser or a liquid? TIA

patty_cakes

• dreamgoddess
    17 years ago

Judith, would you mind if I "borrowed" your photo of the dining room? If you don't care, I'd like to post it in Home Dec and see if someone can help me with the green wall color. Last week, I had asked for help with my kitchen and it was suggested that I paint the walls green. I have alot of pink and yellow in my kitchen and at first I wasn't sure green was such a great idea for the walls. But then I saw this photo and it's absolutely beautiful!

It's really funny, but I had this mental image of what my husband would say if I told him I wanted to paint the kitchen green. It wasn't a pretty sight. But, I showed this photo to him last night, and he actually said it was beautiful. Talk about shocked! I'm ready to run to the paint store right this minute before he changes his mind! LOL

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Dreamgoddess, i'm in love with that DR too. Did you follow the thread(home dec. forum) on Apple Green or various colors that look like it? I'm thinking that's what the color of the DR is also. I've never been a big green fan, but painted my laundry room a similiar color, and absolutely love it! The floor is a black/white check, and i've put up black floating shelves, and have used a lot of black/white accessories. Laundry is a treat these days. LOL

You need to run, not walk, and get that paint before DH has a change of mind! LOL

patty_cakes

• dreamgoddess
    17 years ago

No, I didn't see that thread! I'm going right now and see if I can find it.

• dreamgoddess
    17 years ago

I found the thread and see that Judith had already posted the photo in it. I posted a reply asking if anyone could tell me the name of a paint color close to this color green. Maybe someone can help!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Pattycakes, the Maas comes in a tube. I've never checked online for it. I would imagine any antiques store that sells furniture would also sell that product. Just a tiny dab on a cloth, rub it on, wipe it off, that's it. I've also used jewelry paste, which takes the tarnish off pretty well too--just requires a little more "elbow grease". Wonder if a Janitorial supply place might carry it? Might try calling one and asking. Good luck. Luvs

• judithva
    17 years ago

dreamgodess, I posted on your thread..., feel free to "save" the pic, thats why I post them so that people can get inspiration.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

luvstocraft & patty_cakes

That is the cleaner I have! I haven't tryed it yet..I have had it for 'a while' now! I'm pretty sure I got it at Walmart. I was going to order it from a magazine but then seen it. Check your local Walmart and hopefully they carry it.

Mary

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Just when you thought you had everything, I found something else... CHARGER SKIRTS!!! I was looking on www.Smartbargains.com, and on clearance they have skirts for your chargers!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathleen_li, I just checked the charger skirts out. With my family they would have to be dry-cleaned after every use!

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

I agree, Sandi, they look hard to keep clean!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Pattycakes, I didn't get to answer you--I usually only get to San Diego once or twice a year, or if we have relatives visit who want to go to the zoo or Seaworld. Love that area. We were stationed at Miramar Air base when we first moved to California. I worked at a bank in Escondido, Poway, and Mira Mesa--kept getting promoted and sent to different offices.

I love the Rose Bowl, but don't go very often--not crazy about traffic and crowds! I know, I know, I'm living in the wrong place for not liking traffic and crowds! LOL

Your flea market sounds great, so many of them are all new stuff and mostly jewelry, socks, and perfumes now--I much prefer the kind with the used merchandise, more like a big yard sale. We have talked about taking the motorhome to an RV park on Mission Bay--if we do, I'll contact you to find out where that flea market is held. Thanks for the info.

Luvs

• jaybird
    17 years ago

If you have Hobby Lobby, they had some nice looking plastic chargers there last night for less than 2$. I bought a couple for "backgrounds" for top of cabinet displays.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jaybird, Thanks for the tip on the chargers at Hobby Lobby, but we don't have one near here. I like your idea of using them for backgrounds in the china displays. That's a good idea.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Jaybird, I would love to see your top of cabinet displays. My hutch in the dining room has a curved top and all I can do is sit something on each side of it. I recently bought some silk greenery to put across the top--but don't know what else would look good on it. Do you have any pics to share? Boy, I sure wish Hobby Lobby would open a store out here--they seem to carry so many neat things, and when I visited the one in Mo., I thought their prices were really good too. Luvs

• jaybird
    17 years ago

Luvs, I REALLY need to get a camera....soon I hope!!
    On our hutch top which is curved, I put a drift of small leafed ivy tight up to the left side of the curve with a limb or two running left and a few leaves dangling over the front. A transferware platter stands on a taller holder behind the center/top of the curve(thereby being a little behind the ivy as well), and tight to the right side of the curve and slightly in front of the right end of the platter, I have a squatty body lamp with a low watt bulb, a light colored shade and a small beaded fringe. That's it, and I think it looks nice enough!
    I also hang tassles on the door knobs!

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Luvs, thank you for the info on the Maas.I've usually used Bon Ami cleanser cause it doesn't scratch, and remember Mom using it. I guess I thought if it was good enough for Mom,it's good enough for me. Would still like to try it as it might shine up easier. Would love to meet you if you come to SD! I went into the RV park you mentioned with a friend several summers ago,so am familiar with it~just say 'when'. The flea market is at the sports arena every Sat/Sun, rain or shine!

Sandi, Homegoods had a lot of chargers on sale. Lots of colors too. You could always vary the colors if there wasn't enough of one color. I don't have a Hobby Lobby either. Seems like they're mostly in the midwest/western states for some reason. Good sales too!

Jaybird, the top of your hutch sounds very pretty! What color is your transferware? Don't you love those mini-lamps as accent lamps? I've used them in several places,and they make a nice nightlight rather than the standard plug-in. Did you say tassels?? Of course i've gone over the top with those, too!LOL

patty_cakes

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jaybird, Your china cabinet sounds so pretty with your decorating. And I love tassels hanging on door knobs. It just adds that little extra touch.

Patty_cakes, I didn't see very many chargers at Home Goods last time I went. In fact, I bet they didn't have 8 of any color there. I'll have to go back and check again. Thanks for the tip.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, I like what you and jaybird have both done on top of your china hutches. Depending on how tall your center curve is I think you could put some type of tallish statue or tall vase in the center behind the curve. Or even a plate on an easel on stacked books. My curve is so high I can't use the plate idea, but I like the statue or vase. It doesn't matter if you can't see the bottom IMO

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Jaybird your hutch top sounds like you have it decorated very nice.

My curve is not just the front on mine--the whole top is curved! Not sure why it was made that way unless it was just to give more height to the top shelf inside. I have one of my trays with painted roses on an easel on one side, and one of those large glass hurricane candle cover things on the other side. Can't put anything in the middle.

You know what Sandi, you just gave me an idea to try--what if I stacked some books or even pieces of 2x4 on each side and then put a board on top to make a shelf? Have to go see if the front piece is high enough on each end to allow that. I'll let you all know.

I love my amoire in the bedroom because it has a nice big flat top. I have a good sized cherub, some boxes, a vase with ferns hanging over one edge and then a pretty crochet scarf draped over the other front and end with a rose swag on top. Wish I could do something like that with the dining room one.

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, You have a good idea of making a shelf on top of your china hutch and please do let us know if it works. I love the sound of your decorating on your armoire. It sounds very pretty. My guest room armoire has a flat top and I have a big pink frosted glass vase set back in the center with 2 footed white frosted vases with pink rims, one on each side, and definitely need something soft looking up there, but I can't use flowers because I already have too many in there. A scarf and a couple of stacking pretty hat boxes would be perfect so you've given me a wonderful idea. This means more shopping! LOL

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

I wish I had a hutch in the diningroom...I have two small buffets in my diningroom...one has glass doors ...I have a corner hutch in my livingroom that holds mostly Hummels...and the side hutches in my entertainment center have mostly glassware...I can decorate the tops of the hutches in the livingroom ...but because I limited myself when I decorated that room I am stuck with one style in there...it's kinda southwestern meets old world gone rustic...LOL...hard to explain...I'll post pictures when I get the chance...each room in my house is decorated in a little bit of a different style...because I tire of certain looks quickly and I found out having something different in each room works best for me...:)
    Oh I have an armoir in the bedroom but that one has a curve on top as well and since my ceilings are pretty low I am not sure if I could decorate up there...You ladies have any pictures on how you decorate the top of certain pieces of furniture???

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tamgypsy, We would love to see pics when you get a chance to post them. Your decorating sounds very interesting. I don't have any pics to share yet. I will have to get busy with redoing and taking some pics. I don't think I have enough "stuff" on anything.

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Luvs, it will work!! I have a French antique armoire with an arched 'crown' that I use in my LR for the tv. Since I collect antique/old books, I use them as lifts. I find it's as much about the old book as it is about the item that setting on it. I do this all over the house, including my kitchen hutch~there's always a hint of the book showing. You can use newer books also, but I would remove the dust cover,just cause it looks pretier. LOL

Sandi, did you look in the sale aisle? The store I went to had two big stacks, in a lot of different colors, mostly dark from what I remember. There may have been some metallics, but I didn't look thru them. Maybe dark red?

Tam, I can so totally relate! I think of my LR as English old world, my sitting room/kitchen more shabby chic, and my MBR as Victorian. I guess you could call my decorating style schitzophrenic(sp?), LOL but it works for me. I don't have a hutch in my DR either, but have concocted a buffet out of two plaster colums and a piece of glass~it works great for holding food during dinners. Another 'some day' item.

Would love to see pics of everyones hutch, armoire, cabinets! I will try to remember to get batteries for the camera......and vitamin C! LOL

patty_cakes

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

NOTICE from the off topic police. How did we get from chargers to armoires?? Unless you display your chargers there!!LOL
    So does that mean I can talk about my wicker on this thread???

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patty_cakes, I messed the sale aisle. I'll have to go back and look again. I saw a picture just recently (may have been on here) of a buffet in a dining room done with 2 columns and a glass across them. I love the look. And buy those batteries please!

This message is to the off-topic police...We love wicker here also. So please tell us about your wicker. LOL

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Nahhh, I will wait till spring and then I will complain to you about having to drag it out wash and spray paint it. Not to mention the new cushions I need to make. I bought the foam and the fabric, but haven't done them yet!!

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Kathleen, we're just an erratic bunch!LOL If it pops into your mind, just start typing away. LOL And yes, I would love to hear about your wicker. I spray painted mine....................

Police??? Not until I see the appropriate badge!

As for the how, jaybird said she used them as a backdrop above a cabinet, and one thing led to another, which is a great idea. I've used platters, but anything that's big is good, right? THAT'S another subject, but let's not go there! ;o)

patty_cakes

Sponsored
More Discussions