SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Do You Use Charger Plates?

chicagoans
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I love to set a pretty table and I really like the look of charger plates. But they don't seem practical. When we've tried to eat with plates on the chargers, the plates spin and move. After reading that chargers are supposed to be removed before eating (oops), I stopped using them because it seems like an extra step to remove them and place them elsewhere, and as the hostess I'm usually doing about 10,000 other things right before we sit down.

Since I'm hosting 22 on Thanksgiving, I want my tables to be efficient as well as pretty. Any advice on using chargers? Should I continue to skip them? (FWIW I set up the food as a buffet on my kitchen island and we carry our plates to the tables.)

TIA for any advice, and Happy Thanksgiving!

(Just realized this might be better under Kitchens. Should I x-post?)

Comments (38)

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Standard disclaimer: I am not a design whiz.

I think they look great, but if they don't stay on the table or do anything besides look good, I think they're unnecessary. And if I may be so bold, for the tighter budgets, a little frivolous.

chicagoans thanked Bunny
  • User
    8 years ago

Actually chargers aren't necessarily removed before eating. Often they are kept during the meal and removed before dessert. Personally I do not care for them as I'm a less-is-more when it comes to table decor.

chicagoans thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Red lacquer charger plates

Q

Comments (7)
    Fantastic buy Snolady - they can be used for so many holidays incl any of the patriotic ones. If... no WHEN... I finally get some I have decided they would be red - my second choice would be gold. I don't have a formal dining room but I am trying to get some ideas on where I could set up a small round table for 2 to decorate with pretty table settings. Either that or dicipline myself to keep the dining area neater. I tend to junk my table up with craft projects...ggrrrrrr...... Lynne
    ...See More

New Charger/Plates & BDay Table

Q

Comments (10)
    OA, I only had part of a sheet so I cut out the BD. It might be interesting to see what it would cost to use a laminating machine to make some. Thanks Karen, you do like purple. It was one of our school colors and I really like it in most shades. SIL is a hunter so I used the geese in the cp. Jeanne, I only have the satin mod podge but I think I could buy the hard one and it would be washable. I will look for this next time I go to town. I had traded a gal years ago for a couple plates and I don't think I ever used them. They were western. Haven't seen them so not sure where they ended up. NanaK, DSIL is so laid back that he wouldn't care if the table was pink. Glad you enjoyed the cp and nr and bears.The one bear is all about oil changes so thought it would go for a man thing. Thanks everyone for the comments and I may try covering a whole chg. today depending on what goes on. Punk
    ...See More

How do you use chargers?

Q

Comments (41)
    Resurrecting this one! My first ever set of charger plates are on order in time for Christmas Day ... and now I’ve realised that I don’t actually know what to do with my crockery, when. I’ve seen all the photos with the crockery (dinner and salad plate) on top of the charger, with the napkin on top or to the side... but what are the actual mechanics of getting the salad onto the salad plate and the Turkey dinner onto the dinner plate?? Do I clear the crockery when people sit down and give them a fresh, pre-plated salad? Or not have the salad plate out to start with. (The salad will not lend itself to self serve...). Then the starter is done, I clear the salad plates... and I’ve got cold dinner plates left on the charger. Do I just clear them and pop them in the oven or warming drawer while we carve the Turkey? I was planning on plating up the Turkey then letting guests add the trimmings, so the also need to be able to hold their own plates without gloves... help!
    ...See More

"Charger" plates

Q

Comments (29)
    I think it's more they're just very casual and aren't used to chargers, layered pretty set tables, or any centerpieces. Some of the people I don't think care either way, but a few I think feel it's too fancy/formal. I'll still bust them out if the mood strikes for the one side of the family. I think I may try doing it at least once a week just for us, just because. I don't have a ton of extra storage space so it's probably best I don't get too carried away with dinnerware. :) That said, I believe someone here suggested this site some time ago and I've been eyeballing this server spoon since. I think it's so dang pretty. And I JUST realized it's now unavailable...ack! Wonder if they'll bring it back. oak leaf serving spoon
    ...See More
  • tinam61
    8 years ago

Like you, I love to set a pretty table. I have quite a collection of vintage plates, plus some fiesta ware, some newer plates, etc. I use chargers quite often. Mine are not "plates" so to speak. I have rattan, burlap covered, metallic, even some cheaper colored chargers. We leave the plates on the chargers. I use them simply for looks, and they can be used in place of a place mat. I really do not care for place mats or tablecloths, preferring to use a center cloth or runner. I don't have a problem with the plates moving around on the chargers, but many of mine do have a texture, so that may help.

chicagoans thanked tinam61
  • porkandham
    8 years ago

I use them often. I like using chargers because they add another layer of of interest. (I don't use tablecloths or placemats.) I leave them on the table during dinner and remove them along with the dinner plates before serving dessert. I've never had a problem with the plates spinning or moving.

chicagoans thanked porkandham
  • aputernut
    8 years ago

I have used them, I have a set in silver as well as gold, my dinner wear is edged in gold and my flatware I have both silver & gold, but no longer use any of it, no more big dinner parties for us, just 2 old folks who now go out to dinner theaters or to restaurants for some fine dining, let others do the work, I'm retired from all of that. also have stem ware in gold and platinum edged. the more sparkle over the holidays the better (I always thought)

chicagoans thanked aputernut
  • Bluebell66
    8 years ago

I think a table is pretty set with chargers, but I don't use them myself. They just aren't necessary in my world. Besides, I don't want to store them, clean them or move them.

chicagoans thanked Bluebell66
  • Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

Even though I know that chargers should be removed after the soup or salad course, I leave them for the main course because I like the way they look. I have never had a problem with dinner plates spinning or shifting on the charger plates. I am not sure why they would.

chicagoans thanked Fun2BHere
  • bossyvossy
    8 years ago

Ditto as porkandham plus extra chore of hand washing them. I don't mind.

chicagoans thanked bossyvossy
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    8 years ago

While I do not have chargers, I am familiar with the rules of removing them after the soup or salad course but only because I read about it. If I had them, no one in my set would be even remotely aware of what the "proper" etiquette of them is so they could be left on the table for as long as desired. Granted, none in my set really eat in courses and some would not have an inkling of what the chargers are unless perhaps I were using the cheap plastic ones that are available at this time of year.

chicagoans thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

I'm afraid if I used one, there would be some rube in the mix (an in-law, bien sur) who had no idea what it was and buttered their bread on it or took it up to a buffet. These people do not seem to understand their purpose at my events sometimes!

chicagoans thanked MtnRdRedux
  • chicagoans
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, MtnRd, they confuse my in-laws. :)

As for the plates spinning, my chargers have a smooth lacquered finished, and when cutting meat sometimes the plates slide a bit. I'll skip them and be satisfied with delicious food and fun family. And wine.

• User
    8 years ago

...lots of wine.

chicagoans thanked User
  • nhbaskets
    8 years ago

I just started setting my table for Thanksgiving (I'm turning into my DM--setting the table days in advance) and are thrilled that I'm able to use my one set of charges as we don't have our normal gang of 25 coming this year. I love the look of layering with the charger. Didn't learn until reading here recently (might have been on Conversations) that the charger should be removed before using the dinner plate. Mine stay throughout the meal. Don't think anyone other than my DS, perhaps, would know any different. I say, do what makes you happy.

chicagoans thanked nhbaskets
  • Kippy
    8 years ago

I have not used them, but I had a nice pad for my old table (was the ex mil's and I ended up not keeping it).

My "new" table does not have a pad and I am afraid of hot things damaging the surface even with a table cloth. And it is long enough I don't have a set of place mats for each seat to layer over the mat. Since we currently have no dishwasher either that is not a big issue.

chicagoans thanked Kippy
  • User
    8 years ago

For those of you who set your tables in advance, doesn't everything get dusty? I've only set my table a day in advance. My environment isn't particularly dusty (I'm one of those with open shelves in the kitchen) but I'd worry that all kinds of particles would find their way to a neatly set table if set in advance (dog hair being one).

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

One more reason to dine by candlelight, Lisa.

I don't set days in advance. That's a little too organized for me.

chicagoans thanked MtnRdRedux
  • violetwest
    8 years ago

No. I barely use plates and have never, ever set a formal table in my adult life. Had too much of that as a kid.

chicagoans thanked violetwest
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

I use chargers for soup and salad courses but never for the main course. I would never set my table a day in advance, as we use the dining table every day.

chicagoans thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • User
    8 years ago

I have some wicker chargers that I use more like placemats. If I set a table with a tablecloth, I don't use them. I understand the principal but it's just one more thing to deal with when you have company.

chicagoans thanked User
  • arcy_gw
    8 years ago

I use red chargers to create a Christmas look. My china is very plain ivory with gold trim. I love the pop of red! We keep ours on the table and we have never had a spinning issue. I was very excited when I found them.

chicagoans thanked arcy_gw
  • Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I don't use chargers. I don't have chargers. I don't think I need another reason to buy dishes. (LOL) I'm already getting into hoarder territory with my dishes....

But, if they make you happy, why not? :)

chicagoans thanked Lavender Lass
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

I do have several sets and do use them but I don't think it looks bad or unfinished not to use them. It's all about the ultimate finished table look, not the rules.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

I don't have them and have never understood the point of them. But then I'm so crass I don't even iron my tablecloth or napkins. My life doesn't have an ironing board or iron.

I just don't like a cluttered table and by the time the cutlery, dishes, table center, table cloth, napkins, glasses etc are on the table that's enough for me.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

Lisa! I thought the same thing. I know some blogs I read, their tables have been set since last week! I will set ours on Wednesday. Oh and my gang is not hung up on rules (probably doesn't even know there is a charger rule), so I leave the chargers out, remove before dessert (only because it is served later LOL).

• romy718
    8 years ago

I use gold chargers on my Christmas tables. The dinner plates are on top. Guests pick up a dinner plate (in so, deciding where they will sit) & serve themselves from our large island, buffet style. I don't remove the chargers.

chicagoans thanked romy718
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

I sometimes use chargers, sometimes not. I like the way they look but it depends on how many I'm seating and my mood on whether or not I use them. None of us know the charger rules around here, I guess. I keep them on the table throughout dinner and dessert.

I'm not doing T-Day at my home this year. If I was, the table would already be set. I typically put everything out with the wine glasses turned upside down and then gently drape a clean top sheet over the table. Easy for two people to carefully lift up and then turn the wine glasses right-side up and everything is clean and ready for dinner service.

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

I use chargers on holidays only at the DR table, and placemats on the kitchen table. I mainly use them because i'm concerned about sratching the wood, and do use runners also, but like the 'finished' w/chargers. I've never removed them since that would defeat the purpose, at least in my case. I think it's whatever you want. I guess my plates must be heavier, or maybe it's having the runners cause the plates don't move. Placemats would work also.

• User
    8 years ago

Patty-cakes, I invited neighbors once for a buffet style meal and the father helped his daughter fill her plate and then proceeded to remove the placemat so she wouldn't spill anything on it before he sat her down at my very expensive (to me) DR table. Some people really just don't know... his intentions were good, though.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I am assuming a "charger plate" is something that goes under the plate you are eating off of? (My first thought was that this was something one could charge up devices on, while dining -- I'm serious...)

I have probably sat at this type of place setting maybe twice in my life. They are beautiful, judging by the photo above (and my limited memory) but I don't plan to purchase any for myself.

For Thanksgiving, if everyone is dressed to the nines, go for it. Otherwise, it would probably be easiest to skip!

And for those who mentioned... NO, I would never set the table a day in advance, but then again, I DO have cats!

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Does anyone remember judithva with the beautiful table settings as well as tablecsapes/vignettes? I would almost drool looking at her posts! She started a blog several years ago, but hasn't posted anything on it for quite awhile~i'm posting the link anyway, and hope she doesn't mind.

If you happen to remember her, and know how she is, would you mind sharing w/me? I sent her an email about 3 yrs ago, and she did respond. I believe she found out she had breast cancer, went thru treatment, and it later returned. She also talks about the remodeling of her home, but I don't know if it was ever finished. By the grace of God, I hope all is well with her. Here's the link to her beautiful blog.....

http://www.judith-sweetdesigns.blogspot.com

You might also find some of her creations on the Holiday Forum.

• chicagoans
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Artemis: yes the charger plates are decorative. I'm smiling at the the thought of something to plug in all our devices. :-). Not at my table! I'm envious of all those whose tables are already set. I took tomorrow off work to do my shopping cooking etc. And right now I'm waiting for a Rx to be filled.... I was just diagnosed with a sinus infection. I think I won't worry about chargers this year!

• tinam61
    8 years ago

I do remember Judith, Pattycakes and yes, she had beautiful tables (and rooms!). I didn't know that she had breast cancer and do not know what has happened to her. I hope all is well. . .

• Bonnie
    8 years ago

I have 2 sets and use them frequently. The other day I saw some paper chargers at Home Goods and had to really think about that one! I skip them for buffet style dining, using them only for plated serving. Why be hassled?

• nutsaboutplants
    8 years ago

Patty cakes, I do remember judithva and her creative and beautiful vignettes. She had the most artistic sense of composition, color and layering in her little vignettes. I have missed seeing her creations. I used to wonder if she is using a different name now, as many posters are, but I'm sure she hasn't posted in a while, because I think I'd recognize her style even if she were using a different name. Then there was les917 (or some such number) who had almost a wizardry with furniture placement. (Have wonder if she goes by tibbrix now but don't know for sure.)

• nhb22
    8 years ago

I use them all! I actual have used two chargers (one wicker and one lacquered) the last few years.

Funny stories:

1. I set my table for Fall back in mid September because we were going to out of the country for a few weeks. Note: I did not set the places you will see in the following photo from last year, just the center. Anyway, my husband and I have been home a few weeks. He/we have to walk through our dining room every single trip to and from the bedroom. Well, the other night, my husband walked through when I had the chandelier on. He said "oh, the table looks nice. You must have worked hard all day decorating it."

Really? It's like when he never notices a new hair style. haha

1. A few Christmases ago, I'd set the table with the lacquered chargers, only. H
      ad them placed on the table mats, but had the dinner plates stacked in the kitchen next to the buffet. I told my SIL's father to go through the line, first. I was busy tidying the kitchen a bit. When everyone had filled their plates and it was my turn, I noticed an extra plate in the kitchen. The father had grabbed his charger off the table and used it as a plate! hehehehe We still laugh about that with him every year. It helps that we were good friends before our children married.

My table from last year and basically what it looks like now, sans the place settings.

• judithva
    8 years ago

Yes, I do use charger plates, it does depend upon the occasion though. I definitely use them for all the holidays and special dinners (birthdays, anniversaries, special company dinner etc). And sometimes just for myself :)

I really enjoy setting a pretty table, so using chargers is not a hassle to me, I've always considered it a special added detail to the tables look. I set the table to please me, and the people that come to dine. I would say it pleases most of the people who have enjoyed dining with me, although I do remember one year when I went all out at Christmas with some future relatives and used a crystal knife rest as part of the setting. The future mother-in-law of my DD did not see the need for the knife rest, which if OK with me, "different strokes for different folks".

As for not having spinning plates as Chicagans asked about….I will use the shelf liners/rubber padding that you can get at most big box stores and grocery stores. I cut a circle out of about 6 inches or so to go in-between the charger and the plate, no more movement of the 2 plates when you use your knife to cut your food. Simple, inexpensive and it doesn't show under the plates. You can also put this circle of liner in-between the charger and the tabletop too. I usually use a table cloth or placemats to that usually keeps the charger from moving around too. The only time I don't use the rubber liner is when I use my silver chargers, the rubber is not good to touch real silver, so I will just use a white paper doily to separate the two items to protect from scratches to the silver charger.

Patty cakes, tinam, and nutsaboutplants, thank you so much for your kind words, I am amazed you remember me, that really touches my heart. I am doing well with my health so far, I try to live each day with appreciation that I got another chance at life.

chicagoans thanked judithva
  • Kathlyn Sullivan
    6 years ago

I use charger plates when I use a tablecloth. They actually help to keep the tablecloth cleaner. I know they are only suposed to be decorative but...