SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnh896_gw

What is a 'normal' moisture level for a shower?

jnh896
13 years ago

We are having a moisture problem in our guest bathroom. Our house is only six months old and still under warranty, but the "people at the corporate office" of the builder are not convinced that there is a problem. We already had our inspector come back and take pictures and write a report, but I am wondering who else we could/should call in for an outside expert opinion?

The bath in question is a walk-in shower with a tile pan and bench. It has probably only been used 30 times total in the six months we have lived here. The shower hasn't even been turned on since the first of November. In October, when we had guests, they noticed a crack in the grout where the pan meets the wall and the crack goes up the wall of the bench. It is not just a hairline crack - it is large enough for water to get in. There is also discoloration on other (noncracked) grout lines.

The builder's warranty representative came out and measured the moisture levels with a moisture meter. The reading was sky high in the pan and up two tiles high on the wall. He called in their environmental company who ran a dehumidifier and air mover for two weeks. Although it purged a great deal of water, the moisture level in the pan did not change. The plumber does not think there is a leak after visual inspection from the basement and no sign of water leakage/damage anywhere else in the house.

I do not expect a bathroom to be completely "dry"; however, I think the moisture levels should be consistent throughout the shower. Especially in a shower that hasn't even been turned on in two months and had a dehumidifier pulling water out for two weeks. What could be causing a shower pan to hold so much water and not dry out?

The bottom line is that I think the tiles should be pulled off to inspect what's underneath. An added problem is that the tile has been discontinued, so we can't just patch - it will have to be completely redone. The tile company is resisting since it will be on their dime - they just want to regrout the cracks. What can we do to get this resolved?

Thanks for your feedback.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio