SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southofsa

To the spatially gifted on this site-help!

southofsa
10 years ago

My boyfriend has the patience of Job, but I've shown him so many possible bathroom layouts his eyes start to glaze over when I say "Honey, what do you think of this one?"

Background: 1965 ranch style home, 1950 sf, just south of San Antonio, TX built on a concrete slab. Hopefully our forever home. No codes in this area and no inspectors so we do a lot of homework to try to make sure the work done on our house is done right. So far we've redone the kitchen and the major living areas - walls, electric, some plumbing. We do what we can do and hire the trades we don't do- mostly electrical and plumbing.

Two bathrooms - small one off the MBR about 5x7, larger public one about 5x8. He used the smaller one and I used the other. We were planning the redo of my bathroom when we found the mold in his bathroom. After a little demo we're pretty sure there's not a shower pan left under his shower. We're not sure how much the foundation is affected.

We have the layout for my bathroom figured out so it will be usable for both of us if need be. We've interviewed a couple GC's and I'm starting to pick out fixtures/tiles/etc. The big question is what to do with his bathroom.

Option 1: tear it all out, fix what needs to be fixed and turn that area into closet/storage space. Down the road turn a smaller adjacent bedroom into a MBR bathroom. Expensive, bigger than I need, very involved considering it's a concrete slab and lose a bedroom.

Option 2 (what I'm leaning towards): tear out his bathroom and closet next to it and turn it into a 5'x11.5' bathroom. Awkward sized space and here's the kicker - I have to have a bathtub big enough to soak in.

The picture below is of my latest layout. The inspiration for the bathtub/shower area is here: https://www.houzz.com/photos/pickering-contemporary-bathroom-san-francisco-phvw-vp~103319-contemporary-bathroom-san-francisco

Can anyone guess how big that space is? I've looked all over the net and haven't exactly found recommended specs. I know the narrowest a shower should be is 30" which may seem larger when it's next to the bathtub. Is it enough? Keep in mind his current shower is 24" x 42" so we're used to living in smaller spaces. I think the Kohler Archer tub should work - haven't actually gotten into one yet but I have my fingers crossed that it works for me. I also have big concerns finding someone that can do the work correctly since from what I understand it's very involved to waterproof correctly when the tub is in the shower. But I'd also have concerns making a new bathroom out of the small bedroom on a concrete slab.

If you've made it this far I thank you. If you have any thoughts, concerns, advice, experience about any of the above I really, really thank you.
Lisa

Comments (26)