SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kclv

How long can I realistically expect apliances to last?

kclv
15 years ago

When I got married in 1980, I expected my appliances to last a long time, and they did. My fridge became a "garage fridge" in 1993, and was still running in 1999, when we left it behind during a move. I used my stove until 1991, then passed it on to my SIL when I moved. She used it until 2002, when she moved, and left it in her house. I did have to replace a couple of elements, but no big deal. My dryer was still working in 2000 when I replaced it with a larger one. My original washer only lasted 12 years, but it was from a Canadian company (Inglis), and we couldn't get parts for it in the US.

Since 1991, we moved 4 times, and the houses came with new appliances. We only stayed in those houses for around 3 years each, so it was probably too soon for problems. We have been in our current home for 6 1/2 years, with no move on the horizon. I have already had issues with my fridge, oven, dishwasher, dryer, and range hood. The hood was replaced, the others were repaired.

Maybe I have been lucky in the past, but I am starting to wonder how much life is left in the appliances I have. Currently they are all working, but I just had the dryer fixed 3 weeks ago.

What would you consider to be a realistic expectation of the life of an appliance these days? 10 years? Less? More?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths