Tipping the hair stylist
20 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (71)
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Hair Stylists and how to get the style I want
Comments (7)Slicing has been around for a long time. I tell the stylist not to "cut in" with scissors. It just leaves a lot of uneven ends that stick out. I still don't know how to communicate best to get a good cut, but in addition to no cutting in, I say "very limited layering. A couple of long layers that are almost the the same length is ok". And I say I want as geometric a cut as possible - "a structured cut". My hair can provide it's own randomness, thank you very much. Those mess-making techniques are for hair that is fine, or straight. Or for coarse or curly hair in the hands of a real shaping expert, and those experts are very few and far between. They exist, but you have to hunt, and wait a long time for an appointment, and pay big $$$$. I ask for a structured bob, emphasizing that I want to achieve an overall shape and definite line or edge. The behavior of my hair then softens this edge, but it looks cared for and even....See MoreQuestion regarding magazine stylists' tips and photos.
Comments (16)interesting topic...i work in several capacities in tv and print production. depending on the budget, i am sometimes styling things. here's my two cents worth: as for tips, there are so many different approaches, depending on what the point of the picture is, but i will do my best to lay out the things we address no matter what. 1)the first thing i think about is color. how can i bring this color all the way through the shot? fresh flowers in colors that pick up your accent colors. books and magazines in your accent colors. 2)lighting-- accent lighting, uplights, dimmers, warm bulbs. the makeover rooms you see on tv are always lit really dramatically, with professional lights. after the crew take the lights down, the room has lost some of its pop. you can recreate this to a degree with careful attention to lighting. 3) dramatic plant (usually palm or bamboo) with uplight for shadows. 4) as someone mentioned here, layers...everything is layered in color and texture. 5) mood. props are chosen to create the overall mood of the room.in our own homes, we live in these rooms so moods/purpose of the room shifts with the needs of the family. 6) large props (such as floral arrangement, bigger is better for drama) or groups of collections cleanly placed, with no surrounding clutter. 7) reflective/glowing surfaces, but no stark white things in foreground. mirrors to reflect light from opposite window or chandelier. 8) in photo shoots and sometimes in tv, we have the luxury of selecting the shot. we have full editorial decision over what angle the viewer will see it from and where we will crop the image, so we can pick the foreground and background carefully. good shot composition has a focal point and leads the eye somewhere definite. color that leads the eye from left to right around the room, landing spots for the eye and an invitation to enter and explore (focal point, obscuring full view but leaving enough to draw eye forward). 9) photoshop a great background out of the windows. take out anything that doesn't work. change rain to sunshine in bg. etc. What is really interesting to me is that i also spent some time as a designer for custom homes (home designs, not interior design) and the same principles were employed in that line of work. Sarah Susankah's books talk a lot about the ideas of light and focal points, but with a practical bent. i find it so amazing that i can see exactly what to do for others or on set, but in my own home, it takes me years to make up my mind about a darn wall color. perhaps that goes to purpose-- at work i know what the point of the shot is, but at home, the point of the room is always changing and i need it to be so much more than perfect at one moment. i also think i get used to seeing things at home and overlook all of the tings that would horrify me if i saw them on set. maybe that is why seeing pictures of our rooms can be so helpful. furniture placement is always the killer for me. it's so much easier on a set, when you have been preparing for one shot for two weeks and you can clear everything that doesn't work out of the room. and you have a talented crew who can make anything you dream up happen!...See Moretipping granite installers?
Comments (25)I am pretty irritated - the two installers who just left my house practically asked for a tip. I wasn't planning to tip them but after some awkward hanging out in the kitchen waiting for a tip and then asking if I had change for a $20 because they needed to split up a tip from yesterday ("some people must not realize that there are two of us!") I began to panic because I never carry cash and thought I didn't have any. I remembered that I did have some money and gave them each a $20. I could see how they operated - one left while the other did his song and dance. When I gave the second one his $20 he later put it on the counter for the other to see so he did not have to do his routine (too late). $3,700 for a countertop and now an extra $40 for doing the job for which they receive a paycheck anyway. Am I old fashioned that thinking tipping is for waitstaff, pizza delivery guys, and others who make less than minimum wage? Sure I would tip for going above and beyond, but this was a pretty standard job. They did a nice job, but my perception is ruined based on their attitude. All the way to work I was thinking about putting a tip cup on my desk. That and kicking myself for not having cash when the refrigerator man (who really went above and beyond) navigated my big fridge through every room in my house. UGHH! Okay, done venting....See MoreTipping advise….
Comments (37)A cut with high and low lights costs me $105 every 6-7 weeks. I always tip my hairdresser 20% because she does a fantastic job with my hair and has become a dear friend over the years. For Christmas, I just give her a larger than usual tip. Usually $50. We've had monthly pest control service with the same woman (a great small family business) for the past 22 years and I gift her with a bonus check equivalent to one month's fee. I was told by our local postmistress that we are not allowed to tip our mail carriers. I've never tipped our trash pickup guys, as I never see them. They come very early and leaving anything out for them could get stolen . . . or eaten by our local coyotes. We've never tipped our newspaper carriers, as they drop off the paper in the wee morning hours, and until this new one, have been really undependable. I think DH wants to tip this new guy, as his service is very good . . . especially compared to all those in the past! In the past when I had a housekeeper, I would tip very well during the holiday. Someone here mentioned gifts for their doctor. My DH is a family practice doc and never, ever expects a gift for Christmas from his patients. But, a few patients do drop off food gifts for the staff, a bottle of DH's favorite Scotch, or a gift card to Starbucks, etc., which are so thoughtful and he does get a big kick out of them. One Greek lady used to drop off her homemade Baklava. She's since passed, but we all loved that gift! Another drops off a dozen of her homemade tamales, which are delicious and so appreciated. But, for the most part, patients just send Christmas cards, which our staff hangs up. I was just there today helping them decorate for the holidays when their first Christmas card was delivered. I'll tell you what does touch my husband the most: a personal note or letter telling him how much he is loved and/or appreciated. He saves every one of those. They mean the world to him, as do his patients. And, yes, he's told all the time that they love him. He's that kind of doctor....See More- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 20 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNA Stylist’s Secrets for Giving Your Kitchen the Wow Factor
There’s more to getting a fabulous kitchen than designing and installing it. It's the little details that elevate its look
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESTop 10 Interior Stylist Secrets Revealed
Give your home's interiors magazine-ready polish with these tips to finesse the finishing design touches
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESInterview: Lessons of a Home Photo Stylist
Annette Joseph shares her tips for styling beautiful home photography and finding the soul of a room
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES9 Stylist Tricks for a Decorator Look
You don’t need to be rolling in cash to pull in compliments for polished, eye-pleasing rooms
Full Story
HOW TO PHOTOGRAPH YOUR HOUSE15 Props That Are Tops With Stylists
These go-to items pop up in well-appointed homes all over Houzz — and they've got surprising practicality on their side
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES5 Decorating Tips for Getting Scale Right
Know how to work art, sectionals, coffee tables, lamps and headboards for a positively perfect interior
Full Story
SMALL SPACES10 Tips for Chic Little Bathrooms
Get more visual appeal and storage in less space, following the lead of these stylish compact bathrooms
Full Story
Design Tips From the Countess of California Cool
Betsy Burnham on When to Go Bold, Best Paint Colors, Mixing Patterns and More
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES9 Tips for Making Your Shelf Display Look Great
Learn the tricks stylists use when arranging objects on a shelf
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Hibiscus Syriacus ‘Sugar Tip’
As pretty as a party dress, ‘Sugar Tip’ has layers of pink that catch the eyes of butterflies
Full StorySponsored
kathya