SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Is poor capture depth better than nothing?

11 years ago

Hi all,

I've been working on my modest 1928 kitchen restoration since around 2007 or so. Just typing that date makes me feel faint. i've been almost done for years now, with one exception: I've never found a hood that meets my needs.

My needs?

1. Low price. I'm a regular person of modest means. In my world, hoods are pricey when they hit 1000.00. there is no way I will ever find a hood for my set up on that price range, so TheHusband has agreed to 1800ish max.

2. Vintage styling. My space is mostly 1928 original. My stove is a hulking 1950's O'Keefe and Merritt. The hood MUST look right. For years and years I pleaded with Modern Aire to make me a hood I could afford, but alas, they couldn't.

3. Difficult capture area. My big, deep OKM stove is configured to really need a 27" deep hood. That isn't available to satisfy 1 and 2.

So after years of hood-inducd melancholy, I stumbled upon the hood shown in my photo. It is by Imperial, and I can get it in white for about 1800.00 with around 700cfms. A dream come true at last? I actually teared up a bit. Scallops? Scallops?? I never dared to even dream of scallops!

Since a standard type hood, it would be 24"deep. Which barely reaches the edge of my front burner. When a 12" pan is on that burner, 24" will cover maybe 2/3 of the pan.

But this is my last hope. So 24" it must be!
I went online to order.

Oh no! It is only 22" deep!!!!! That doesn't even cover the empty burner.

*sobs*

Should I even bother? Is it a waste of 1800$? is it better than my current alternative, which is nothing? I barely cook anymore on my beloved stove because the wall and shelving by the stove need constant cleaning. I don't stir fry, but if I am cooking, there is usually butter/oil and a fry pan involved.

(I can't bump the hood out, because there are no cabinets on the wall.)

(Stove is 39 wide, and hood would be 42")

many thanks for your advice.

Francy

Comments (17)