SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbjust

Kohler BubbleMassage vs. Bain Ultra

jbjust
16 years ago

In reviewing this forum, It seems like there is a consensus that the Bain Ultra air bath is one of (if not the) best air baths out there. I've read several complaints, however, about Bain's air bubbles quickly lowering the temperature of the bath.

We really like the looks of the Kohler Memoirs BubbleMassage tub. Is this clearly an inferior tub to the Bain Ultra and, if so, why? Also, does anybody have any experience with the Kohler tub and whether the air bubbles sap the heat out of the water as quickly as the Bain tub?

Comments (53)

• jbjust
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It will be installed next week and I'll let you know what our water temp experience has been. misha- have you gone to the BainUltra web site to look at all the different models? The elegancia comes as wide as 42" We went with the 36" and thought it was plenty wide.

• jbjust
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now that I look, the Amma model of BainUltra comes as wide as 48"

Here is a link that might be useful: Amma

• Related Discussions

Bain Ultra or Hydrosystems

Q

Comments (20)
    Deb, That looks like a perfect fit! Am just seeing this pic today, think I read your reply via email, and the pics don't show that way. Are you sure the tub is only 60" long? My catalogue says the Azur55 is 66" long. I think I have changed my mind for the last time, and have settled on the Thalassa55. It is a little bit narrower, ie 33" vs 36" than the Oval Plus model I was considering, and actually gives me another inch of bathing depth, though tubs are the same height. (It's also $1000 cheaper, and I got my plumbing supply place to bring their original quote by another $800, so I'm much more comfortable with the purchase.) I definitely will get the Geysair. Though listed at $399, was able to get it down to $303. I would love to know how much wiggle room there actually is. I really don't like having to ask for lower prices. I just want others to know that even here in Canada, we can negotiate the Bain list price down.
    ...See More

BainUltra Elegancia Air Jet Tub vs. Kohler Memoirs Whirlpool

Q

Comments (3)
    thanks kingatlas and oruboris! oruboris, that's just too funny about yoga and your whirlpool ^o^ for me the final deciding factor is the position of the whirlpool jets that is pushing me towards the Kohler. i wish the jets are right behind my back, but these are close enough to reach (no extreme yoga required): Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Memoirs Whirlpool
    ...See More

Kohler Cast Iron Tubs? Acrylic Tub? Americast?

Q

Comments (13)
    My acrylic Bain Ultra air tub was set in a bed of mud with a piece of think plastic between the mud and tub. This was done for the ease of removing the tub if ever the need arises. It's as solid feeling on the bottom as my husband's Kohler cast iron tub. As for cleaning, that's a different story. You're not supposed to use anything abrasive on acrylic. Believe it or not, Scrubbing Bubbles is considered abrasive :( That's been my go to tub cleaner for years. To clean my acrylic tub RIGHT, I use Gel Gloss. It's a pain (literally!). You spray it on, let it sit, buff it and let it dry and then wipe the residue. When I'm in a pinch for time or physically limited, I will use Scrubbing Bubbles. There are very few non abrasive cleaners out there. One Bain Ultra suggested was Lemon scent Lysol. NOTHING works better than Scrubbing Bubbles!
    ...See More

air massage tub vs. whirlpool?

Q

Comments (9)
    Three years ago we renovated our master bath and took out a Jacuzzi whirlpool and put in a Kohler Archer Air bubble. I liked the whirlpool effect on sore muscles, but always felt like it was almost too much, even on the lowest speed. I hated the black gunk that forms in the lines and the cleaning procedure to get rid of it. The cleanout only lasted for a few uses and then time to clean the lines again. I knew I would never put in another whirlpool. We now have the Air bubbles and it is quite different. When you put your leg, arm, hand ,etc. right up to the jet, it almost feels cold. I usually end up adding more hot water if I am staying in the tub very long. If a heater is an option, that would be helpful if it wasn't too costly. The bubbles don't really compare to the whirlpool. They are much softer and more gentle on your body. It is pleasant, but not a full body workout. The tub has a cycle that dries the line after use and there is no special cleaning. If I were doing it again today, I would just put in a nice soaker tub because I do not use the bubbles that often. My bottom line recommendation would be air bubbles over whirlpool jets.
    ...See More
  • caligirl_cottage
    16 years ago

I personally don't get the air tubs. They do get cold quickly and don't have the spa-like massage effect of a jetted tub. I find them less relaxing than a regular soaking tub, but that's just my two cents!

• jbjust
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love these people who do nothing but thread-crap. Cali-Girl -- nobody asked you if you liked air tubs. The question was whether air tub A or B was better.

• caligirl_cottage
    16 years ago

Ah, and here I was thinking you were concerned about heat being sucked out of the tub with the air bubble system(s).

Note to self- don't thread-crap (new catchy term BTW) on jbjust. Just let the stupid thing die on the vine until the original poster bumps the lame thing up again and again.

• signing_es
    15 years ago

So, jbjust, what's your take on your new tub? I'm thinking of buying the elegancia 6636 too and will use it as a shower/tub combo. What do you think of the noise and the depth? Is it too deep to climb in and out of everyday? How are the bubbles? Can they be made vigorous enough? Thanks.

• jennbo
    15 years ago

I think this is a fair question. I've read several posts from people who love their Bain Ultra (I searched this forum for bain ultra and found several comment strings).

I am currently making a selection and have also wondered about which tub to choose. I'm looking at the features for Bain Ultra (Amma or Origami), Oceania (Grace), and Jacuzzi (Allusion). I plan to select a tub that has heated air and a heated back rest. I'm sure budge will come into play, but I'll make sacrifices elsewhere for those two feature priorities.

Jenn

• brendamc
    15 years ago

Having stuck my hand in both operating Kohler & Bain Ultra Air Baths, the Kohlers have a very light, almost champagne bubble feel. The Bain Ultra approach more of a traditional jacuzzi-like feel - much more force in their bubbles. We bought the Bain Ultra, but have to wait until October when our house in finished to REALLY experience it.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I would love to hear from anyone who has had the Bain Ultra for awhile. I have the Kohler Bubblemassage in my current home and do enjoy it. For the home we're remodeing I'd like one that's a little more "comfy" luxurious. Maybe heated backrest/armrests. I also want a drop in model so I can tile around the tub. I know this is an old post (found when googling) but would appreciate input.

• lucianf
    14 years ago

You get what you pay for with the Bain Ultra. Definitely far superior to anything else out there in every way. Do you really want to have problems as a result of buying some cheap Kohler or Jacuzzi piece of crap? Do you know how much plumbers charge these days? Their rates are comparable on an hourly basis to Neurosurgeons. Well not really, but they're expensive. Also look at the thickness of the acrylic on the cheap tubs. They cut corners everywhere. As far as water jets, you'll be bathing with varied strains of bacteria in warm water. Yeah, they will live in the wet dark pipes under your tub that you can never sufficiently clean. Enjoy!

• thepond2007
    14 years ago

We bought the Bain Ultra Origami Air tub from craigs list. Hoping that it works for us, it has never been used. We took a chance. It hasn't been installed yet, getting closer, maybe two months.

But,

We think it's a "right handed" tub and we have a "left handed" bathroom!

So, instead of my "Heated" back to the wall while in the tub, it will be to the open room and can't lean head back on the wall. Don't know if that is even possible if it went the other way, but that was what I was thinking. The tub has a wall on two sides only. Where the drain hole is and motor, it looks like it needs to go that way. DH doesn't like the idea of having his back facing the bathroom, to enjoy the heated back rest. You can sit the other way but that back is not heated.

• jenn104
    13 years ago

I love my BainUltra Amma. I too, looked at many of the "other" air bath manufacturers and was not impressed. I did a lot of research. This is a big decision and wanted to make the right choice. BainUltra "INVENTED" the air bath, never manufactured whirlpools (really nasty) and stands behind their product 100%. My final decision was based on quality (excellent) and affordability. 20 year warranty on a bath is unheard of! I called customer service because I was unsure about the control pad (first time I used it) and they walked me through the whole process of how to use it and they were so pleasant to deal with. I love my bath and would have no other. I've told all my friends about it and I should get a referral fee for the 3 baths "I" sold! If you want to enjoy the best experience, heated backrest and headrest and full body massage, you HAVE TO HAVE A BAINULTRA!! Hope this helps.

• tapsdp
    13 years ago

A late post⦠When you buy from an authorized dealer, trained salespeople should and will spend time explaining how the Bain Ultra tub, and also the Kohler, work. I am a diehard Bain Ultra fan; have recently gone thru the Kohler Bubble Massage tub and am satisfied that the product is the best after Bain Ultra. Here's the thing on bath water cool-down: air tubs have a heating element in the turbine. Think of it like your auto's heater - when you get in on a cold morning, start the engine and turn on the heat, what do you get? Cold air! So, turn your air tub on 2-5 minutes on 70% or greater BEFORE you fill it, to give the element time to warm up. You can feel the backrest get warm. Then when you fill the bath you'll be much happier! Good luck!

• kingfishbluejay_gmail_com
    13 years ago

There is no question the Bain is superior to anything made by Kohler. Bain Ultra invented the "air jet" system, why would you buy anything else? The rest of the makers are just copying the Bain. I have had a Bain tub since 2004, with the lights. Our family uses it as a health maintainance device. If any one is starting to feel a chill or not well, it is in the bath for them(including three stubborn teenagers) for a therapy session. A 30 minute session(15 min. with just hot water and then 15 min. with a relaxant) at half speed (30 out of 60 on the dial) and off to a warm bed for a great nights sleep and you wake up renewed and the ill feeling is gone. Our bodies need a good rest when we are feeling run down, the Bain makes that happen with their system. The chromatherapy lights are a godsend too. The violet color lights boost your immune system. Your immune system has been compromised which is why you got sick in the first place. Keep a small stream of hot water filling the bath the whole time you are in the bath tub and the water will always stay hot. Here is to your health! When we are healthy, we are happier!

• just_julie
    13 years ago

You don't have to use the jets. I know it defeats the purpose of having them but sometimes, I just pause the bubble part and use the lights and heated backrest. soooooo relaxing!

To add to what Jay Eiring posted, we have quite a few essential oil mixes from Whole Foods that we add to our baths for 'health maintenance'. Favorites are 'breathe easy' and 'aches and pains'. Stick a stuffy nosed kid in there for a while and it really helps!

• sgshrchef
    13 years ago

Exactly what can you use with the Bain Airbath-oils, bubbles, etc? WHat about the post bath drying and cleaning when you use something?

• catherineri
    13 years ago

go to bainultra.com & read about features and usage. You can use bath oils, bubbles since air is being blown into the water - the water is not circulating into jets. Any small amount of water that enters into the system is blown out automatically 15 minutes after you stop the air bath.

• parkplaza
    13 years ago

I have a Bain, and feel it is a high quality air tub. It has an air heater to help with the heat issue. The customer service is great and when you call them they actually know their product very well and can answer technical questions. I have the lights, they do not help your immune system, that is a false claim if Bain is making that statement. So do not get lights thinking they will provide a medical benefit. However, I did get the lights knowing it was gimmicky. However, they are visually neat. They are just super cool, that is it. I would recommend the lights being they are an upgrade.

• just_julie
    13 years ago

The lights are not there for decoration, their purpose is chromotherapy. Lots of info out there about it.

http://www.thebodyhealer.com/healingsystems/energyhealing/chromatherapy/

As for product, anything goes! I've used dead sea mud and salts, seaweed powder, oatmeal, essential oils, bath bombs. A few have left grittiness that I didn't want to wash down the drain so I vacuumed them out with a soft brush attachment.

They recommend adding essential oils to a carrier before adding it to the tub... don't add drops directly to the water.

• mom23girls
    12 years ago

Saw this: Also take a look at Acryline. Acryline is the original air bath company. Bain Ultra was started by former employees of Acryline. Bain has tried to copy some of the patented technology of Acryline, but they've not been allowed to continue. I've seen the structure of both, and Acryline is much better.

• dhogan1036_aol_com
    12 years ago

Just purchased a Bain Ultra Amma 6636. Only Kohler I sat in was a Kallista 50x32 and felt like I was in a coffin. Back slope was great but wow, too narrow. I have a friend that has the freestanding Bain Ultra Amma 72x36, and they love it! Mine won't be delivered for install for about two weeks so I'm hoping I will enjoy it. I purchased the drop-in model.

• rtwill
    12 years ago

I have had nothing but problems with my Bain Ultra jet tub. My tub would turn on randomly throughout the night, so I would be in bed and hear air rushing from the tub in the middle of the night. Within a year of installation the lights on the keypad stopped functioning. Called their customer service department and they will not honor their warranty. Apparently their electronics and keypads are poorly constructed. The Bain employee I spoke to suggested I replace the tub altogether. Definitely go for the Kohler over the Bain Ultra tub.

• Sharon Williams
    8 years ago

I have a Bain Ultra. The water cooling quickly has not been an issue for me. It heats the water as it cycles through to keep it warm. That is why I went with an air bath.

• janb
    8 years ago

Would love to hear from Bain Ultra owners:

How is the overall massage effect of your tubs?? The only reason we are still considering a few brands of high end whirlpools is because we really wanted those stacked back jets--and more of a back massage effect.. but with every person we talk to--we lean closer to Bain Ultra. (Mostly due to the warranty and lack of cleaning and plumbing issues. Any feedback from those who already have Bain Ultra tubs??

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Some of the BU tubs have inline heaters and some don't. My Thalassa does not. I don't understand the logic behind it. For the most part, it's not a problem and I can add hot water if I need to. It does have a heated backrest tho. How hot it gets (and it gets HOT) depends on the force of the jets. My tub is 8 years old. Some things could have changed. The jets are enough for me but might not be for you. They're hard enough to push me around the tub :) It does what I want it to do. I love my tub and use the jets nearly every night.

• rtwill
    8 years ago

I would go for an air tub - but stay far away from Bain Ultra. They do not honor their warranty when things go wrong and the company is based in Canada so there is nothing you can do if you live in the United States.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

OP, apparently rtwill has had an isolated negative experience with Bain Ultra. I never have and I don't know of anyone else that has but rtwill has decided to take it upon himself to warn the world of this evil company. I've not had much need to call them and it's been mostly for advice but they've always been very kind and helpful, even sending out some sample packs of their bath additives. I love my tub and in just mere moments will be taking my partially frozen self to the bathroom for what I refer to as a "lobster boil"...that's air jetted water hot enough to boil a lobster :)

• janb
    8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Still considering options-

• rtwill
    8 years ago

I have been using Kohler on all my tubs since my negative experience with Bain Ultra. Phenomenal support team in Wisconsin that takes care of their customers if you have any issues with their products.

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/browse/bathroom-bathing/_/N-255vZ1z141jrZ1z141pwZ1z13obw

• emharn5
    8 years ago

I am starting a complete remodel of the Master Bath next week and have narrowed my choice of air tubs to Bain Ultra Naos freestanding(72X40 size) vs the Acryline

Mediterranean freestanding 72X46… both big $$$$$ so wanting to be sure.

both Canadian made tubs and the Acryline has both seat backs heated.

takes 4-5 weeks for the Acryline and just 2 weeks for the Bain. Concerned about install since both have remote location install for the air turbine (10 feet away in an adjacent closet). Demo starts March 1 so not sure how they will install pump after tile with radiant heat is down. Anyone know how involved locating and installing the air pump is? The time delay may mean I choose Bain by default…$1000 more

• rtwill
    8 years ago

Stay away from Bain -- not worth the money with a poor product and terrible service. I would wait longer for Acryline or look at Kohler air jet tubs.

• Vicki Cancialosi
    8 years ago

I've had a Bain tub for 10+ years. Love it more than any other tub out there. The water does get cold after a while, but I am building again and the new Bain Ultra tubs have a heating system in them to keep the water warm. Best money invested!

• silken1
    8 years ago

You might want to look at Neptune air jet tubs also.. We just installed ours and the reno isn't complete. So other than turning it on to test it, I haven't used it. They have a fairly good reputation (also made in Canada). When we looked in showrooms, we were told they have more air jets than some brands. We got active air which in our style of tub is 41'jets,. Some are up the back. Also back heat. The pump has an inline heater and can be installed remotely.. There are other options such as chroma therapy, whirlpool, ionized cleaning of the water lines, and different ways to combine it all.

• emharn5
    8 years ago

Both get very good reviews but jaw dropping what these high end air tubs cost

will look at the Neptune and compare options...thanks to all for responses

• silken1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I noticed your question about remote air pump. Our Neptune tub came with an extra piece of flexible air hose for that. We were going to mount the pump remotely just in a cabinet next to the tub but decided to leave it in place and we made an access opening in our bedroom wall which is on the other side of the tub back. It didn't seem like a big deal tho. Just mount the pump to something and have a hole to feed the tubing. Electrical supply would likely be near the pump\-ours is going to be on the wall opening but could maybe be hard wired. The pump and back heat did have plug ends tho. Not sure if there is a distance limit for mounting the pump.
    I e\-mailed Neptune twice with questions and got prompt, complete answers from them.

• emharn5
    8 years ago

Great info thanks.. The noise level is pretty hi so remote pump install is a must with the distance limit of 12-15 feet depending on manufacture we choose.. We have a large 15 X 10 Master Bath with no closet.. the closet is off the bedroom entry hall which is where we are going to remotely install. Straight line is 10 feet but I'm pretty sure we can hard wire the tub and get the air hose within the remote distance limit. worse case we can build a corner bookcase and install it there......lol install may cost as much as the tub.. appreciate everyone's responses. thank you

• silken1
    8 years ago

Have you gone to showrooms and seen the air jet tubs in action? Our initial plan to move our pump to a cabinet was partly for ease of access, but also to try and insulate for sound deadening behind the cabinet and on one side. But when we filled the tub and turned on the air jets, the motor itself could barely be heard running. The sound of the air bubbles masks a lot of what little sound it does make.

The air tubs are a lot quieter than whirlpool tubs with water jets. Just so you know, moving to reduce noise level may not be necessary.

• emharn5
    8 years ago

We went to showroom last week and they actually offer to let people soak in several popular tubs. We declined that but did get to fill tubs and run the various air and injector air systems in the Acryline Ultimate Combo system. One is definitely more vigorous on the body and much louder.. The showroom owner explained the blower was installed right next to the tub and strongly recommended moving it away from the tub. We currently have a two person jacuzzi tub which is pretty loud and after ready the comments here and talking with bath folks in showrooms we should be able to find a reasonable solution. i think the Bain Naos is a great tub and also like the Acryline Medeterrean tub since it has a second heated back, more air jets and doesn't pinch in as much at the bottom of the tub. Both have 20 year warranty and seem to have good rep "overall".. leaning toward the Acryline despite the added wait time since more is included with the tub vs the numerous add ons for the Bain

• heathshop43
    7 years ago

Showroom rep who handles BainUltra AND Kohler told me noise of tub [in my case the BAIN AMMA] - is 90% from the sound of the churning water. She does not recommend remote location of the blower. According to the rep, the sound of the blower alone is close to that of a small cooling fan. If you are not able to find a tub in action, uTube has a few videos with good sound and it is clear that noise from a BainUltra tub, though less than a whirlpool, is definitely loud. The BainUltra sponsored videos, at their website and also on uTube, convey visions of zenlike peace with an hypnotic voiceover narrative; please note that these marketing tools have NO sound of the tub in action, which is most likely deliberate. That said, I have no doubt that I will adjust to the sounds and enjoy my tub for all its other worn-out-body friendly qualities!

• kday72
    7 years ago

Wow, what a great thread! So grateful to all of the contributors. One thing I'm not clear on is if the people who say the water cooling down isn't a problem - do they have the "Geysair" that heats the air or not? I'm looking at the BainUltra Meridian and the Geysair is an option but I'm not sure if it's needed. Any thoughts or clarifications? Thanks!

• normana40087
    7 years ago

the Kohlers I noticed have 120+ air jets in their tubs whereas the Bain systems are only in the 50s. Seems like a vast difference. Are the jets themselves bigger in the Bain tubs?

• rtwill
    7 years ago

Kohler tubs are far superior to Bain -- I've installed 100+ air tubs now and people seem much happier with Kohler.

• andykdx
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Have a bainultra at the lake house since 2005. No problems at all. Redoing my master bath at home and going with another bainultra. Older jacuzzi with minor problems of aging. Like the air jet better and less parts, jet nozzles to fail.

• rtwill
    7 years ago

You're basically paying more money for the huge commissions that sales reps get for Bain Ultra tubs in their fancy showrooms. Save some money and get a better product for less money with the Kohler.

• andykdx
    7 years ago

I like their faucets!

• PRO
    Details
    7 years ago

BainUltra has Geysair which infuses steam in the bubbles. It comes standard on all of the Thermomasseur models. This technology will keeps the water warm continuously while the bubbles are on! It has only been available since 2013 and had been an option until this year 2017. Also, the motor should be timed to come on 15 minutes after the tub drains to blow the water out of the lines,

• dacosta_maryann
    6 years ago

Just realizing I had my BainUltra bath installed 15 years ago. I love it and it still looks brand new. No mechanical issues ever. I also Dill the tub with super hot water and bathe for 20 minutes. It usually is fine- if I need to increase the temp I just add hot water.

• PRO
    Krugg Reflections
    6 years ago

The fact is laws of physics cannot be changed, and when you blow hot air into water it will cool it down no matter what brand of tub it is. Now Bain Ultra was the original air tub, their service is top notch, their parts and materials are top notch, and their design has only the bather in mind. Kohler is not a bad alternative, but all things being equal Bain Ultra all the way. Hope this helps.

• A H
    2 years ago

does anyone have a freestanding clawfoot style bain ultra tub? if so, what do you have it on (i know it has to be screwed into the floor).

i’m in the process of buying an older, though minimally used, one.