SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corgimum

Anyone have double sinks in 60' vanity?

corgimum
14 years ago

I'm debating whether to install 2 sinks when I remodel our upstairs hall bathroom. Currently there is one sink and plenty of counter space on each side. Two sinks would be more for resale than necessity. We are not planning a move but if I'm going to get a new vanity and counter top should I think about doing this? My concern is that it will be too crowded.

FYI- It's a 4 bedroom house with a master bath and the hall bath upstairs where all of the bedrooms are located.

Comments (36)

• corgimum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

60 inch vanity

• judithn
    14 years ago

I have double sinks in a 72" vanity. There is not a lot of room between the sinks, they are both about 16" wide. I think 60" might be cramped. Have you gone to a cabinet supplier or plumbing store and asked them about this? I think you'd be able to see the standard spacing and decide for yourself in person. There are all kinds of sinks and maybe if you put in smaller ones you'll be able to still get some counter top space. Or, there are wall hung sinks and really narrow vanities that might work.

• Related Discussions

Does anyone have this double bowl sink?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for the info laxsupermom. Do you have any problem with water splashing out of the small side? This one is 7 wide by 5 inches deep. We're undermounting in 3 cm granite, so we'll gain another inch below the countertop surface, but I'm wondering if trying to rinse small prep items in such a tiny bowl is more trouble then it's worth. Besides having the two drains so the garbage disposal is always available, is there a reason you prefer this style to a large single bowl?
    ...See More

Anyone have a large double SS sink with low divide?

Q

Comments (1)
    What about this? http://www.elkayusa.com/cps/rde/xchg/elkay/hs.xsl/elkay-res-96765.aspx
    ...See More

How can I convert a double sink vanity into a single sink vanity?

Q

Comments (4)
    It shouldn't be a big deal, but you would have to first remove the old vanity and then open up the wall and do some re-plumbing. You would cap off one drain and one set of hot and cold pipes in the wall. Then you would need to route the other drain and set of hot and cold pipes laterally within the stud space so they would be in the center; this might require notching out one stud, depending on where things are located. Which set of pipes you would choose to cap off might depend on where things were in the wall in relation to the studs: it's possible that one side might be easier to re-route to the center than the other, or one side might be a shorter run to the drain. It's hard to say before you open the wall, but that's the general idea. Once you re-did the plumbing and repaired the sheet rock, you would be ready to install the new vanity. Oh, and if you don't have shutoff valves under the sinks, use this as an opportunity to install a set on the pair of supply lines you will be using. Hope that helps. Feel free to re-post if any of this is vague, or once the wall is open.
    ...See More

Double sink or single sink in 60in vanity

Q

Comments (7)
    My DS just did this in her girls' bathroom. She offset the sink to one side further from the toilet (so it's not centered). This allowed more drawers and a large countertop area for all their beauty stuff. She changed the tub/shower combo to a shower, and put towels hooks instead of rods. She filled the whole width of the vanity with one large mirror.
    ...See More
  • andreadeg
    14 years ago

I think 60 inches is doable if you use small sinks which should be fine if the sink is just used for washing hands, brushing teeth, etc. You can do a search on the web for 60 inch vanities with 2 sinks and see what they look like. Unless you really need 2 sinks though I would go with one sink. What is the likelihood of 2 people needing to use 2 sinks at the same time? 2 people brushing their teeth at the same time could happen I suppose if it's a large family...

• User
    14 years ago

60 inches is cramped and it's a draw as to how much added value you're really offering when it's a hallway bath. Now if it were the master, that's a different story but in a hall bath, I'd just go with personal preference.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I have a 60 inch vanity with one sink now - and I'll have one sink after I remodel. Counter space is just much more useful to me than another sink. I'm not sure I'm representative of the masses though - as I don't have a master bathroom and I'm still satisfied with just one sink in my only main floor bathroom (that serves two adults and guests).

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

some 60" vanities off google images:

{{!gwi}}

• corgimum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stacy- your vanity and bathroom look very nice. I also like the ones in the google images. From the photos they don't look too tight. Mine will have walls on both sides so that might make it feel a little tighter. Not as much elbow room.

I agree that 2 adults wouldn't be in the hall bathroom at once. Our house might be considered a starter home for some which would lead me to think about 2 young children using it for teeth brushing, face washing, etc...

• kinshasa
    14 years ago

We have double sinks in a 60" vanity. The sinks are Kohler Kelston and shallow, not too large.

• kinshasa
    14 years ago

Here's another photo.

• msavold
    14 years ago

kinshasa:
    If you don't mind my asking, where'd you get that counter top? Gorgeous!

• kinshasa
    14 years ago

It's Vetrazzo recycled glass. I've got more info and lots of pictures of my finished bathroom in a September thread.

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

I think it is easily doable if you go with a small sink or if you are willing to sacrifice counter space.

Kohler makes several just-big-enough undermount sinks. My parents used them in their beach reno and they work great - their master is small but they wanted two sinks. This allowed it, with plenty of counterspace. All they do there is wash their face and brush their teeth, and you don't need a very big sink for that :)

• stingerrray
    14 years ago

I have a sixty inch vanity with a double sink and it is a nightmare. I have absolutely no room to put anything on the counter. Your situation may be different than mine due to the fact that there is no other counter space in my bathroom. If you have counter space you may be OK. But in my case it is very non functional. Hope this helps.

Robert

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I'll just agree with Robert - again. I think you do really need to consider what all you might want to have sitting on the counter. I'm not talking about storing it there. I'm talking about having it on the counter while you're using it. If two people are actually in there using two sinks at the same time what else will they be using? Make-up bag, make-up, shaving supplies, dop kit, hair care products, hair dryer and/or other small appliances, etc.

• lesliem56
    14 years ago

I have 3 kids: 21 yr. old son, 19 yr. old daughter, 13 yr. old son. If we didn't have 2 sinks, we'd never get everyone to school on time! They want privacy when using the shower/toilet, otherwise, my oldest son is wearing his old gym shorts while shaving, gelling his hair, etc. while my daughter fixes her hair & applies make-up in her ratty robe. My youngest washes his face & brushes his teeth. We added a 2nd medicine cabinet, a wall mounted hairdryer & extra shelves/drawers under the vanities for storage, plus a full length mirror on the back of the door. Each kid has a wicker basket for their everyday stuff which is stashed on a shelf above the toilet. It works for us!

• judydel
    14 years ago

We've had a 60" counter for 21 years with one sink. I don't really understand the big need for two. The only conflict we've had is if DH is shaving and I want to brush my teeth. We've come to expect so much, but is this really necessary? I am also considering putting in two sinks with our remodel only because that's what is expected these days. But I'm also concerned it really isn't enough space for two.

Once on HGTV I saw a vanity with a narrow trough sink that ran the length of the vanity but had room behind it for two people's "stuff". It had two faucets. I think I'm going to look in to that, even though it's a bit modern for my taste.

• billp1
    14 years ago

Does anyone know aprox cost if I convert my two sink vanity to a single sink. My question is about the plumbing and converting it to feed one faucet instead of two and the same with the drains. Two to one.

• mondragon
    14 years ago

I have two sinks in a 62" vanity. We intentionally chose small sinks to have more counter space.

• nbptmomto3
    14 years ago

I'm planning on the same for my master bath reno. However, I have a make-up desk as well so the sink vanity space would really be just for my DH and nothing stored on top at all. My kids (I have 3) share the hallway bath which also is 60" two sink. Plenty of room, although not wall to wall. Toilet is beyond one end. I agree with another poster, the kids NEED two sinks. There is a big closet in the kids' bathroom to store their junk so again, nothing on the counter.

• PRO
    Melody Meek
    14 years ago

I'm planning on at least preparing to have two sinks in a 60" vanity - putting in the rough plumbing now, getting two sinks and faucets, installing one on one side for now, popping in the second before we sell.

However, I'm struggling with lighting. There's a wall directly to the left of the future vanity. I'd like to have a mirror medicine cabinet with a sliding door - the future sink would probably have a fixed mirror.

I know sconces are best, but there's not much room...if we have 18" mirrors, there's only 6" on the outside, and that causes problems with a sliding mirror. I've looked at pendants, but haven't found any that would give enough light to be useful. Am I stuck with light from above the mirrors? Is there any way to make light from above better?

What do you all think?

• mondragon
    14 years ago

Horizontal lights above the mirrors does the trick with my double sinks, but I might not be very picky. Why doesn't that work for you?

• mimi78
    14 years ago

We are working on our master bathroom, and planning a 60 inch vanity with double sinks. We went to a bath store and it seemed like this was a pretty standard size, so IÂm surprised about peopleÂs comments that it seems small. Either way itÂs all we can fit with double sinks so thatÂs what we are ordering.

I am in a similar situation on trying to figure out lighting though. We are going with 2 medicine cabinets above the sink, so trying to decide between overhead lighting or sconces. We will have 2 high hat lights in the ceiling, so IÂm leaning toward the sconces. I currently have sconces in another bathroom and had overhead in our previous home, and I havenÂt really noticed a difference.

Another side questionÂin a 60 inch vanity, is it better to have 3 drawers in the middle or 3 on each side? I like the idea of more drawers, but the vanities with 3 drawers on each side and 2 doors in the middle look awkward to me. Kind of like 2 small vanities together instead of one piece. Thoughts anyone?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

With our 60" vanity we used sconces in ~7" on either side of a mirror that isn't as wide as the vanity. We mocked it up life-size, stood where the sinks would be, and looked to see if the mirror would be wide enough. I was worried it would look and feel strange to have it narrower than the vanity. It doesn't.

Our sconces seem fine where they are, although I admit that the lighting on my face when standing on one side or the other isn't quite as even or flattering as at our previous, one-sink, narrower vanity with the sconces closer together. (Good think I only wear makeup 2 or 3 times a year!)

We opted for two banks of drawers, and I am happy we did. They look and function very well.

• jeffrow
    14 years ago

66" vanity, 2 x 24" plus 15" drawer pack and 3" filler. Not quite done, diy.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jockewing
    14 years ago

Mondragon, WHAT is that gorgeous green countertop material?

• mondragon
    14 years ago

Jockewing - it's got a number of names - fashion, green fashion, tropical fashion, fashion gauguin. Some of them look more like a marinace with lots of stones, others like ours have the strong horizontal movement with inclusions. All of them have the same green tone, though.

We're not cooking on it but we're not careful with it, and we have the same stone as seats in the shower. It cleans up to look the way it did when it was installed.

• tanem
    14 years ago

kinshasa

I have the same sinks and am using Vetrazzo in floating blue. It's not yet installed do you like it? thanks

• cupofkindness
    14 years ago

I'm putting two sinks into a 56" vanity for my girls' bathroom (4 girls share it). I'm installing Kohler Caxton, but can't decide whether to install the small or medium size. I noticed in the Kitchen-Bath store that on the medium Caxton, the granite over-hang was more than I would have expected for an undermount sink, especially at the upper drain hole edge. In effect is to give you a little more counter space. Plus, you couldn't see where the sink met the granite. That "line" was covered by the overhang. The bath shop gave me a pair of templates for each sized sink, I will figure out which works best. We are replacing these really ugly, whipped avacado looking cultured marble shell shaped sinks, which each measure 19" across. The Caxtons measure about 16.5 and 15 inches from side to side. Any change is a good one and will result in more counter space regardless of which sink size I choose.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

If that hall bath is servicing 3 bedrooms, I could see a definite need for two sinks. I think a person looking for a 4 bedroom house will also appreciate the double sinks. I'd be careful about going too small with the sinks tho. Less sink (especially width wise equals more dripage off your arms onto the counter. Even if you aren't moving and it's just two of you, you're not going to *need* the extra counter space. And when you have overnight guests, you've got the benefit of the added sink :)
    Monica

• Cobblestones7
    9 years ago

This is 4 years laterâ¦. but I am dealing with this now! Deciding between a 15" or 17" undermount Caxton on a 60" vanity with walls on either side. Does anyone have any words of wisdom all these years later? Thanks!

• User
    9 years ago

Code requires that the center of the bowl be 15" from the wall, so choose your vanity layout and sink with that in mind. Smaller should be easier to do.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I like having double sinks in our master more than I care about counter space. Who wants all the shiz out all over the counter all the time? Not me, and if we had space I am positive stuff would be out on the counter all the time. Our vanity is from Ikea and isn't even 60" long, more like 48". I do not like the design of the drawer fronts in the vanity, they collect water. But the size is totally fine, we currently have FOUR people sharing the bathroom since the other is being remodeled. The double sinks are awesome, and everyone has to clean up after themselves because there is no counter space.

Countertop storage is totally overrated...I much prefer drawers/cabinet storage.

• sas95
    9 years ago

Here is our 60" vanity with 17" Caxton sinks. Still plenty of room for us.

{{gwi:2132897}}

• duvetcover
    9 years ago

We have 60-61 inch vanity with two 15 inch sinks- works fine. I was concerned sinks would be too small but they aren't and there is enough counter space - the couple of inches makes a difference. Draw it out on paper and see what you think.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I also have 2 sinks in a 60" vanity. The sinks are Kohler archer. The left side of the vanity is against the wall, and center of the left sink is slightly less than 13" from the wall (why would this be a code issue - there's no safety issue involved?). It's not a problem, and I'd much rather have two sinks and less counter space than one sink and more counter space.