SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bahansen_gw

I wish I would have....

bahansen
14 years ago

talked with a trusted appliance repairman before I purchased any appliances for our new home!

I've had mostly good luck with what we bought - but recently my Blomberg dishwasher, in use for about 14 months now, started making a "noise" like a trumpet (I don't know how else to describe it). Looks like it may need a new pump, which is under warranty (not the labor, however, which is $300). The repairman told me the problem was likely caused by bad dishwasher soap. I've always used Costco's liquid soap for dishwashers. He said it was among the highest-foaming soap on the market and that I was better off using a powdered soap with as few additives as possible, and not much of it.

He said liquid soap goes bad fast - especially when kept in a warm, moist place like under the kitchen sink (which is where I've always kept my dishwasher soap). The anti-foam agents are what go bad, so old soap tends to foam and can cause problems with your dishwasher. Excess bubbles are a dishwasher's worst enemy.

Just thought I'd pass along this advice. I've been happy with our dishwasher so far, but this was an unhappy surprise. I wish I would have talked with him, instead of a salesman, about some things before I purchased anything new so I could care for it properly. Although I researched appliance brands to death, it never occurred to me to research dishwasher soap.

Comments (11)