SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bindersbee

I guess I'm officially a 'Landscape Designer' now!

bindersbee
17 years ago

I graduated with a Landscape Architecture degree back in 1994. I worked in City Planning because it was a stable job, with benefits, that I could count on to pay the bills. I enjoyed that work but it just isn't quite the same level of passion as all things landscape for me.

I've been a Stay-at-Home Mom since my twins were born in 2000 but starting in March, I'll be working part-time for a Landscape Design firm. I am SOOO excited. My plantsmanship is excellent but construction experience is lacking so I'm excited to 'get an education' in how things ACTUALLY go together instead of just construction theory and paper designing.

Any tips for an old 'new' person? I'll mostly do design plans and site consults for now. Do any of the more experienced professionals here have any suggestions that will help in these situations? How do you approach an initial on-site consult? Do you have them fill out a questionaire beforehand or provide any pre-consult 'homework' for them? Does anyone provide a 'maintenance manual' for customers to improve the long term care of the design? Please share with me the 'things I wish I would have known when I started'. Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022