SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summer_nh

Tipping Owners of Salons?

Summer_NH
21 years ago

I have read countless times in Dear Abby over the years that you do not tip the owner of the salon if the owner is the one who cuts your hair. For a short time, I went to someone who had own their own in-house salon and did not tip her because she owned the business. When I went back to my regular hairdresser, I told her who I went to temporarily (my hairdresser had surgery so I went to someone else for awhile). I told my regular hairdresser that I didn't much care for the temp hairdresser and somehow in conversation the tip question came up. She told me maybe that's why I didn't get good service. I told her that you aren't supposed to tip owners. But she said it couldn't hurt.

I thought that was a strange remark, and a greedy one at that. Don't owners know they aren't supposed to get tipped? I am currently going to a different hairdresser and have been going to her for a few months now. She also owns her own business. She has an actual salon though, not in her home, but she is the only worker there as it's a small place. So would I not tip her too? Thing is, I wasn't thinking and have been tipping her all along, so don't know how I would stop it now. And don't you think it was rude of her to take my tips all along since she's the owner?

{{gwi:1391046}}

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Full-Service General Contractor Servicing Mecklenburg County, VA