SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonshadow_gw

Tip Salon Owner?

moonshadow
14 years ago

I know this has come up before (think it has anyway).

We have a new salon nearby, quite pricey. Equal to Chicago prices but it saves me a lot in travel time and some $ in gas/tolls/parking or valet. The owner is supposed to be good (exceptionally so). He does cuts, his wife is the colorist.

I'm heading over there later. What I spend in travel going downtown will cover tips for the local salon. (I always do at least 15%, most often 20%.)

I got curious about tipping owners, googled it and seems it a hot topic.

I hate to ask them, that just seems too awkward. Some owners seem to act like only their employees should be tipped, and others will take tips, and based on this rather heated debate no one seems to agree!! But most lean toward "no" for the owner. (That link's author just happens to mention iVillage as a source for how times have changed and owners should be tipped, but that just made someone snicker that 'iVillage is not Miss Manners'). Geez, they're debating everything from owner's higher prices should include tips, to all the profit from product and % from employees goes to owner, so no tip should be expected.

Then there's the Mrs. If it's "no" for owner, what about his wife? It's called 'his' salon in local press but names them both as co-owners/partners.

So, I'm curious, WWYD?

Comments (17)