SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

What bathroom products are 'spa-like' and disability friendly ?

flseadog
14 years ago

Neither my sister or I have ever been to a spa but she has always wanted to go to one. Unfortunately, she has had back surgery recently and it seems she will be unlikely to be able to go to one this year. She and her husband will be visiting with us in Florida for the month of February and I'd like to set up the guest room bath as a spa for them.

This bedroom and bath are on the first floor and designed for handicapped use in case we eventually need it as we would like to age in place. The shower is Calcutta gold marble and a roll-in type. The vanity top is also Calcutta gold and one of the sinks is open underneath. The floor throughout is a honed gray limestone and very not slippery. My sister will be using a walker and I would like to set up the best bathroom environment possible for her.

1. Would rugs on the floor interfere with her ability to get around in the bathroom? I have seen pictures of bathrooms with oriental carpets and it was thinking of taking our runner from the upstairs hall and putting it in front of the vanity but I'm afraid the walker may get caught on it. But if she has bare feet I'd like her to feel cozy.

2. What type of bench should I get to put in the shower? I've seen teak garden benches I like but would this be practical?

3. Are there any special products you could recommend that would good for her dry skin and also kind to the marble shower? Somewhere I remember reading that bar soap shouldn't be used in a marble shower and that body washes are better. This is a new bathroom that has never been used at all so I haven't had a chance to experiment.

Any suggestions you have that would help me treat her to a spa experience would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)