SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brickton

Shower Floor Possibility Question (design & feasibility)

brickton
13 years ago

Short version: Can you cut 12 x 12s into 6 x 12s and use a few of them in a shower floor design, or will the size make the proper sloping impossible?

Long version:

My wife and I are planning on doing AO Catarina White tile in our shower in the new house. Unfortunately we don't love the thought of a full floor of the 1x1 mosaic and that line only comes in 1x1 mosaic, 12x12 and 18x18. I was hoping that I could cut some of the 12 x 12 into 6 x 12s and mix them in with the mosaic into something of the following designs.

I looked at a few samples and the edges of the tile look square enough that you shouldn't notice the cut edge versus factory finish edge too much I think. But I'm concerned that with the slope this would end up being gappy and uneven. I haven't run this by my tile guy yet. He's good and I've seen some really intricate wall and floor stuff he's done, but I haven't seen any tile floors that were anything other than 4x4s.

Some of the designs I was hoping to do were like these. The ones on the left are my preference. The ones on the right might be more do-able (I think?) The white blocks on top would be a bench (made from 18x18s mixed with a 6x12 center) in the same tile. The walls would be 12x12 diamond pattern.

I can't seem to find any examples of shower floors like this (which is likely not a good sign for feasibility). Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Only by the upper echelon of pros? A terrible idea fraught with peril?

Thanks all.

Comments (7)