SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olivepear

Challenge: anyone w/ induction exp who'd go back to gas?

olivepear
17 years ago

A shout out to all induction users, former GAS cooktop users:

We are all set to go on our kitchen reno with a miele gas cooktop, and because of space constraints (gotta love those nyc apartments), we are relegated to a 24" cooktop with max 10K BTUs. However, gas is gas, right? The best.

However I've recently been reading here about induction, and now I'm wondering whether a 24" induction top would be better, to get that higher heat. Having read a gazillion posts, I'm now convinced induction is a better bet vs. electric. But what about gas. My hubby thinks I'm crazy (gas is the best, remember?) and I need to hear from the former gas lovers out there, to serve him back some real "poll" responses from those of you who had the option for gas who chose induction... and whether you are happy or have regrets.

And thank you guys in advance!

Comments (117)

• Fori
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A little late, Eleeny, but my 20+ year old induction cooktop is unscratched (except for the metal trim). Maybe it's because there's less sliding required to cook with it.

Induction has all sorts of cool tricks. Control of pasta boil-overs is amazing. And don't get me started on candymaking (sure, you have to find an old iron pot for it, but then you are set). Cook on paper towels! Impress your friends!

Gas, not so many tricks, but overall more fun. :)

Paul, are your electric Gagganau burners induction? Induction/gas should be a very nice combo.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Fori,

Will you please explain the fun factor?

Thanks!

• Related Discussions

I'm so confused! Gas or induction??

Q

Comments (16)
    lilyfreak, i was in exactly your position one year ago starting research on changing over to gas. after i spoke with my contractor, i was dissuaded by the invasiveness of the conversion, at least at my home (the kitchen has a flat roof over it). then, supposedly, the city would require me to run some kind of test to see if my lines could hold the extra gas pressure (for got what the test is called). the architect said that most older homes fail the test, ets, etc... and i just didn't want this renovation to "go there!" after many months of research i settled on a miele induction. i mean, i looked at them all. i was not set on a miele, or an induction, at that time. i was looking for a 30" with at least one oversized burner, and WITHOUT touch controls (hard to find nowadays). it all came together best in this model miele below. for the styling i wanted, the miele had the largest burner, and i had to compromise on touch controls (but so much simpler than the wolf and viking, if memory serves correctly. the thermador had nice styling, but i don't think it had a 30" with a big enough burner.) remember, if you have an induction, you have the flexibilty to use a small pan on a large burner, without the wasted energy and heat of a regualr electric burner. Miele KM5753 Induction 30in. Glass Cooktop w/ Touch Control MIELE 26575350USA 1 $2,249.00 $2,249.00 plus, i got the miele masterchef single oven for underneath. unfortunately, i'm waiting on countertops still, so haven't yet tested either out, sorry.
    ...See More

Newbie here, looking at modular cooktops for gas & induction

Q

Comments (20)
    Wow, thanks everyone for your experiences. I'd still love to see more setups, particularly to see how the different models look together. I'm much closer to narrowing down my choices.....It looks like the 36" bluestar cooktop (slide in, 6 burners) with the 12" Diva module to the right of it (so it can be an extension of my prep area if needed). For that 48", I'll probably have to slide the prep-sink over one space, giving me over 45" of prep space (as opposed to the 33 if I go with the current sink position and 45" proposed cooktop layout). I was really drooling over the Gaggenau 36" cooktop (so unbelievably sexy!) but I'm concerned about all the electronic wizardry they are using to control the gas....I prefer my ability to control (and the reliability inherent in a more simple design). Now I just need a hood. I was looking at the Broan IEX222 (51") but it's extremely expensive and not nearly as sleek as the Futuro 48". And it's reputed to be powerful and quiet...
    ...See More

ultimate layout challenge - odd island in gorgeous kitchen

Q

Comments (89)
    WhostheBosch, I agree it IS a flat out gorgeous kitchen. The whole the purpose of the thread is to explore any and all solutions that would be the least destructive to all that beauty. That 20 inch aisle is really quite wacko though, and the range island is woefully out of scale and has no work room. After seven years, it is time to think of how to fix it. Loves2, An island (with reasonable aisles) can't fit without taking out the Advantium AND bumping into the breakfast room (which means moving the porch door). The alternative is Buehl's much earlier drawing of a range penninsula where the skinny penninsula is now. Buehl, appreciate your keen thoughts on deploying each inch. 42 would be better at the sink for sure. A few of you have noted that point. Well taken. Valins, the counter treatment is dicey. (Great memory on SIL Barrelhaus' kitchen BTW! She remains thrilled, and while breaking all kinds of clearance 'rules' the kitchen still works great for her and her family. A Gardenweb triumph! And what IS with my family and weird kitchen design challenges anyway...?) I could see a different counter treatment for a work island, but that still leaves seaming in the range area. Sure would be nice to somehow recycle the skinny island's 19.75 x 54 granite to left and right of the range... First thing first though. Sis needs to determine her limits - dollar and energy wise. This has been a very helpful and fruitful discussion. I know my brain got well exercised. Whatever direction she chooses, I feel pretty sure all the options have surfaced here. Just as I hoped. Thanks!!
    ...See More

Anyone w/ induction exp who'd go back to gas?

Q

Comments (42)
    >>>"I'm sure gas is more economical to operate as we had to run a dedicated 3 phase 240 from the breaker ...Two comments in response: one on the relative "economy" of gas and induction and the other on the "3 phase 240 line from the breaker." On operating cost economy, the difference in cost of for running a gas cooktop versus running an induction cooktop is usually trivial. For starters, the energy cost for running a stove (or cooktop and ovens) is a tiny part of a household energy budget -- 2.8% is the figure (1.8% being the oven) I've seen tossed around by the Department of Energy and others. For an idea of how trivial the difference will be, go to Michael Bluejay's website and use his "Mr. Electricity" calculator. http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cooking.html Somewhere down the page, he says to figure induction efficiencies by reducing the electric stove cost by 40%. The calculator asks for input of your local rates and how much you use the oven and each burner and how many days per week. When I ran the numbers for my kitchen, figuring in all the cooking I do, I found the cost differential for an induction range was about 70 cents more per month for induction over natural gas cooking appliances. Obviously, YMMV. Somebody in an area with high marginal electric rates --- say, $0.40/kWh --- would see more substantial savings with a gas appliance. Three-phase 240 from the breaker -- are you talking three conductor cable from the breaker or an actual three phase 240v line? From what I recall of the importing-induction threads here (gosh, was it a decade ago, already?), I thought the DeDietrich induction cooktops ran on single phase power. To me, three-phase 240v would be a commercial setup. (Cooktek and Garland make several of big induction appliances including rangetops with six 3500w burners. A "mere" $8k for that rangetop!) Upgrading a residential electrical service to a commercial 240v (or 400v) three-phase service would require a new transformer, a new service line to the house, and a whole-new breaker panel. If you had to go for a commercial hook-up, then that would have been very expensive, indeed! This post was edited by JWVideo on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 18:45
    ...See More
  • chipshot
    16 years ago

Speaking of fun, has anyone seen the mobile induction cooking unit below?

• plllog
    16 years ago

Oh, man, Chipshot!!! They don't say how big the cooking area is, or what power, but man! Now not only am I lusting for Pyrolave counters (worried that it would be gilding the pig) but if only I could get the induction installed beneath it. Wouldn't that be cool? Just set the pot on the counter and have it heat up????

• chipshot
    16 years ago

Very cool. But how would you know where the induction was?

I'm in the process of getting a quote for a Pyrolave counter (no induction, sorry) and am curious to see how much more it will be than CaesarStone.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Well, on the Nomad-Cook and on other induction tops there's a marking. And the Pyrolave enamel can be done in any pattern :) I can think of all kinds of interesting artistic patterns which could clearly mark the pot rings without looking like rings :)

• lawrence_the_lion
    16 years ago

Hello to everyone. I consider myself a gourmet chef, although I have never cooked professionally. Once I finish my degree at the Oregon Institute of Technology, I am planning on pursuing my Master Chef Certification (currently, there are only two certified Master Chefs in all of Oregon).

Personally, I love to cook and eat, but love sharing my passion more. I cook for friends, relatives, and on occasion I cook at local events (never for money, usually just for friends having parties, etc.) Nothing makes a crowd (or relatives) go "WOW" as much as flambe. Lighting it with the gas flame is absolutely irreplaceable for me - the magic of a sudden flambe dish goes away considerably if I had to light it.

That being said, I am a student of change -- I love future technology.

There is one huge, huge, HUGE problem with induction that will absolutely permanently deter me from it until the issue is solved -- stray electromagnetism.

I purchased a counter-top Avanti induction cooker to test the technology. Like I said, I am about the future: I use multiple computer interfaces in the kitchen, and in fact, every room of my house.

Here's the reality of the situation: Many other posting members have said that induction will replace other forms of cooktops in 10 to 15 years. HOWEVER, in that time, we will have no more paper -- electronic books, newspapers, even semi-automated kitchens. Your recipes will be kept on a tablet PC, and your juicer will greet you by name in the morning. All induction stoves that I am currently aware of cause severe electromagnetic "static" -- in other words, having them within 20 feet of a computer is deadly (just like putting a strong magnet next to a hard drive).

I am aware of this, and therefore have never tried my Avanti with the kitchen electronics on.

I love the idea of induction -- and I've read some articles on universally-compatible induction. When this happens, the cookware issue will cease.

The Avanti, *even with cast iron*, is completely and totally uneven. I have checked all the obvious things -- the cast iron pan I use is within the weight and size constrictions of the Avanti. If I boil water, I can literally see a RING of water boiling, with the dead center and outsides of the pan just barely simmering.

This has caused many rings of black upon my fish and steak, not to mention the uneven wear of the seasoning -- it removed a perfect ring from the pan -- and thats super-aggravating.

I also think that the danger of scratching any glass top cook surface is a con. My current gas burners get beat up all the time, and the damage is barely noticeable, if at all. The first time I used my cast iron on the Avanti (the glass is black), huge scratches appeared -- in fact, they prevented me from returning it to the store where I bought it.

On the whole, I am going to stick with my gas for now, after gaining experience with both induction and gas.

I am looking forward to moving to induction, when it is improved.

Here are the problems that need to be solved before I move to induction:

1. Electromagnetic interference with other electronics and computers in the kitchen
    2. Glasstops need to be resilient - super easy to do with a special coating, but its expensive to produce right now
    3. An inconspicuous way to light flambes(perhaps a special small burner that heats up to the temperature of combustion?)

This is simply my personal opinion, and I am not trying to be all-knowing. If someone knows a solution that I have missed, or if I'm just being a general idiot, please let me know!

I think the issue is how your going to use it. Myself, a chef who puts a lot of weight into presentation, and uses lots of computers in the kitchen, will stay with gas. For you, these things may not be issues -- in which case I would say go with the induction.

One thing is for certain -- I like technology, and induction is about as tech as you can get. I will certainly keep my eye on the induction market, and am looking forward to the responses to this post.

Anyway, my other question for those on this forum, is how is infrared compared to gas and induction? Personally, I have only used it once -- on a Viking grill. I loved it -- it seared my steaks like I've never seen -- but I'm curious about its application as a main cooking surface.

Thank you!

P.S. -- I am looking into the Pyrolave built-in induction counters. I think if I can get those, I will rip all the electronics out of my kitchen in an instant. That would be so cool, just put the pan on the counter and it would heat. You wouldn't need markings, its your kitchen! You'd know where they were hidden.

Lawrence The Lion

• lightlystarched
    16 years ago

Okay, I got out my tape measure - My pc is 15 feet from my induction cooktop with no walls in between. Both work fine at the same time. I've had no problems running the microwave or any other electronics either.

My GE 30" unit heats amazingly evenly. I made crepes yesterday and they were the best I've ever made. I was using a brand new all-clad 8" omelet pan and I figured, new pan + new cooktop = the first few crepes would be tossers. Nope! Even the very first one was evenly golden and paper thin.

I've been using my cooktop for about 7 weeks and there's not a single scratch on in. A microfiber cloth gets it mirror shiny and beautiful.

• cj47
    16 years ago

I bought a refurb Viking induction burner to try out the technology and I've had a very, very different experience than Lawrence. First, it sits about 10 feet from my computer and has not, to date, bothered it in the least. I'm sorry, but I have to question whether that stray electromagnetic interference that you're talking about is a valid worry. The only problem I've had so far is that my Polder Digital Thermometer didn't work, but there we are talking about less than an inch between the electronic device and the induction cooktop, not feet. I can get over that with an old fashioned thermometer that hangs on the side of the pot. :-)
    I have been completely amazed by the fast and even heating that this thing achieves with the pans I'm using on it, which are cheap Ronco-ware. My good pans are all anodized aluminum, which is the downside of this technology, but I'll soothe any angst I have about parting with them with some new All Clad when the remodel is done! The heat control is stunning, it's absolutely instant. And the heat distribution is totally even in throughout the burner area. There is not a hint of a 'ring' in the heat pattern. Seriously, Lawrence, I have to wonder if the Avanti is either defective or just not all that good of a product. (Sorry) It doesn't sound like you're getting a true indication of what this technology can do. I am not going to go with a full sized Viking cooktop--way too expensive for me, but I really do feel that this little refurb has given me a true snapshot of what it would be like to cook with induction, and I'm liking it. It wasn't cheap, but I didn't want to spend $2K+ on something and find out that I didn't like cooking on it, so $300 was, in my opinion, a very fair price to find out.

And that's my $.02...

c.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

I wouldn't go back in this house there is only electric. I have used gas and was disappointed in my not insisting on gas when I bought this house. That being said, I've since switched to induction and absolutley love it. I have the hybrid and wish I had forked out the extra cash to do all induction. If I can sell this one, I might do it because I hardly ever use the regular electric eyes. If I could though, I would have both. I do feel safer with induction though. Many times I've worried about a sleeve catching fire with gas. But, I would want the option of using gas with some recipes. I do have the problem with sliding pans too - oh, boy, that's not safe!!

• cotehele
    16 years ago

Lawrence, if it were April 1st, I would be enjoying a good joke. Unfortunately, you are sincere. I think you have not had the opportunity to use a properly functioning induction unit. My experience has been polar opposite from yours. A Mr. Induction 1,800 KW single unit has been my primary cooktop (ha!) for about one year. On the whole I love it. However, I do have several frustrations that are not the fault of the unit. It does not have enough power, and the heat surface is too small. I cannot wait to get a built-in cooktop. In short order I purchased four cast iron dutch oven-style pots in varying sizes, two cast iron skillets, and in December a non-stick skillet. In addition to the increase in arm strength from lifting and moving the cast iron, cooking is a joy. The digital heat control has numbers as well as temperature settings. Heat change is instant.

I slide and flip the pans & skillets all the time. The enamel is chipped on the bottom of several of the pans. The glass top is pristine, no scratches, chips, and sparkling clean, which is a real achievement for me!

While cooking in the 13 x 13 kitchen, I use a laptop with wireless Internet, an iPod, Blackberry phone, and a microwave. All at once, occasionally. There is no interference from the induction hob. cj47, my Polder Digital Thermometer works, too. Maybe yours needs a new battery.

• lindawink
    16 years ago

My thermapen electronic thermometer works fine, as well. I also have a computer close to our induction unit. No problems at all! Our Kenmore unit heats evenly across the bottom of the pots and pans--no ring. No scratches from cast iron. I'd take that Avanti unit back to the store, scratches and all, and insist on a refund.

• cj47
    16 years ago

Well, I'm finding this interesting--that Polder is brand new, it's the one with a probe attached to the unit. I put it in the pot while I was warming milk for yogurt and it went all weird on me. Maybe it was a fluke--and maybe it was the Viking, but definately I'll give it a shot on whatever cooktop I end up with at the finish of the remodel. (Currently, Miele is a front runner--I want those timers on each burner...) Thanks for the feedback on the digi thermometers! Cj

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

I've been using my De Dietrich 308X induction cooktop for about 18 months now and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I stayed with my sister up in Washington state last week, she has a DCS gas cooktop. I was using her most powerful center burner -- I know it had a lot of BTUs and the jet-like flames looked quite intimidating -- and I kept thinking something wasn't working. It took so much longer than I am accustomed to get the pan hot. Every time I moved the pan around while stirring the contents, I would almost singe my arm on the plume of hot air rising from the cooktop.

I was looking forward to using gas for a few days to remind myself of what I've been missing, but after using it I remembered that I wasn't missing anything! Induction is truly the best technology, in my opinion, as it gives all the power and control of gas without any of the disadvantages (carbon dioxide, wasted heat, etc.).

Some day when I build my custom home, you can bet it will have an induction cooktop.

• amirm
    16 years ago

On scratching, we went to an appliance store that had a number of induction units. They also had a commercial pan sitting around. We put the pan on the various units and gently slide it around. In all cases, it caused scratches of various sort. Often it damaged the non-stick pattern on top of the surface. Note that the level of roughness here was less than what we subject our gas grates to.

We are still getting induction to augment our gas unit. The above is one reason we chose to not go with Induction only. Maybe there are other units that work better in this regard. But we just didn't want to baby our pans as we put them down, slid them back and forth, etc.

Maybe before you buy, you can bring some of your heavier pans and do the above test.

Another thing to note is how slippery the surface was. We were surprised at the level of difference here. Some units were far better than others. This is important as you don't want the pan to dance around when you stir.

• tomato
    15 years ago

I believe CookTek, at least, offers induction wok units with a circular concave cooking area.

• irish_lass
    15 years ago

Finally looking for my induction unit and thought others might be interested to know that Gaggenau (now part of the Bosch empire) sells a wok for their single zone WOK VARIO induction unit. The accessory is listed for that model "only" so you need to look into why...what might be different about the induction unit itself, if you would like to use it on another brand cooktop. I like gas as well as induction so have decided to go for the 36 inch Blue Star RNB, with grill, and supplement with a Diva "domino"--all under the same vent hood. Am looking for QUIET and durability so would appreciate advice on brand of hood. Does anyone use a model with a booster unit at roof level (designed for added power and quiet). I will need a 48" wide model. Does anyone own a Broan? Thanks, Sunshine

• irish_lass
    15 years ago

Decided to solve the mystery myself. The single zone unit affords more power that can't be "robbed" by another zone, hence, "wok" BTUs...a pretty unit with a pretty price for only one zone. Healthy eating! Sunshine

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Gaggenau-Vario-VI-411-610

• skwid
    15 years ago

Question for those of you who have gone Induction (and have the ability to use gas), what type of oven do you use? Electric or Gas? I am assuming that an induction cooktop can't bake bread or biscuits for you so you will need an oven of some type.

• bruce_allen123
    15 years ago

After cooking with gas all my life, and having a hellish experience using a Viking "professional" range, I can say in all honesty that I much prefer cooking with electric. Despite what the naysayers will tell you, electric cooking has come a LONG way from the coils and uneven/uncontrollable heat of days gone by...

I've got a smoothtop range with radiant elements, and a Salton 1500 watt portable induction unit. BOTH appliances outperform every gas range I've ever used. I couldn't believe it myself, but the boil time for water and other cooking tasks was absolutely astounding to me. I also got fed up with cleaning my walls and ceilings all the time. The persistent yellow greasy film that stuck to everything made me want to pull my hair out. Also, the smell that some gas ranges produce can be irritating, especially to those who have allergies or sensitive lungs. Believe it or not, there are people out there who are allergic to natural gas appliances, just like you can be allergic to real Christmas trees.

In summary, my advice and opinion? Go with induction. Easy, clean, sleek, and VERY responsive. The technology has proven itself in Europe and Japan, and they are finally starting to catch on over here too.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

• bruce_allen123
    15 years ago

skwid,

As far as ovens go, one performs just as good as the other, although they say electric ovens have a more even, consistent heat. Also, keep in mind that the old dial thermostats are HORRIBLY inaccurate. Make sure you go with a digital thermostat, found on most ranges today.

• ya_think
    15 years ago

I'm surprised at amrim's experience with scratching. As I posted in another thread the other day, I've had a ceramic cooktop for years that while somewhat discolored, you'd have to practically put your nose on the surface to see any light scratches. Are these different materials?

Amirm - what brand was that you scratched up? (I wonder how much money someone's going to save because of you! LOL)

• kitchenporn
    15 years ago

When I did a kitchen remodel 3 years ago, the only option for induction was CookTek. I opted for gas (DCS 48" because of the 18,000 BTUs). During the 3 month remodel, I needed to be able to cook. Sooooooo, I took advantage of CookTek's offer of a free demo (60 days, I think?) of a freestanding plug-in induction burner. I loved it. It was better than anything I have cooked on before. Water boiled quickly, it didn't matter what diameter pan I used, and I didn't have to worry about kids and burners. I became an induction fan from then on. Friends laughed at me that I had just spent tons of money on a new remodel and knew I had made the wrong choice about rangetop/cooktop before it was even installed. I was happy enough with the DCS I installed, but was pretty sure that had my induction choices in 2005 been better, I would not have chosen gas. The house I just moved into unfortunately has a perfectly adequate new kitchen with a new 30" Dacor (which is pretty good. I like the burners better than DCS) so I can't justify a kitchen remodel with a new induction cooktop. Sigh.

• redforever
    15 years ago

The one person's warning about electro magnetic field straying is a bunch of hogwash. There is no other word for the fear mongering he did.

My father in law has a pace maker, no problem with it, and no problem with any other appliance or electronic gadget in my kitchen.

• dacook
    15 years ago

Whoever said that no commercial kitchen would ever use induction was way off the mark. I just returned from a Caribbean cruise, during which I attended a gourmet cooking demonstration and toured the ship's galley. I was surprised to learn that the entire cruise line used induction cook tops and that there was no open flame in any of their shipboard kitchens. I was so impressed with induction cooking that I just ordered a Viking portable counter top unit (refurbished) so that I will be able to try it out myself.

Ironically, I recently completed a kitchen makeover, including all new appliances. Part of the impetus for this project was to replace my electric stove with a dual-fuel model because I had missed the immediate control of gas burners. My recent "discovery" of induction cooking might just change my cooking habits. At the least I will have a handy and safe portable cooking unit, and I may find myself becoming a convert.

As for the pacemaker issue, the user manuals I have read all say that the unit "should" be safe but that persons with pacemakers should keep at least one foot away from the induction unit.

• 59 Dodge
    15 years ago

The one person's warning about electro magnetic field straying is a bunch of hogwash. There is no other word for the fear mongering he did.
    yes it is too bad He did not do a little bit of research before He posted that. A study was done on the effect an induction stove might have on a pacemaker. The conclusion was none, unless the pace maker was made before 1995 and that pacemaker was so sensitive to magnetic interference that you darned not even keep a compass in your shirt pocket(LOL)
    Yesterday, I had my laptop just on the right side of the sink, The Electrolux Icon Induction cooktop is on the other side of the sink. The laptop is linked wirelessly to my main computer upstairs. I was using the laptop to read a recipe from a web-site about tamale pie that was actually on my computer upstairs(laptop is not actually on-line) and everything worked great and I had 2 burners going on the cooktop, no interference to the laptop or the connection it was making to the cmptr upstairs.
    Not all the induction units are the same--even on the lowest settings, mine is completely silent no clicks etc and I do not see any "Cycling" in the pan on low or high settings.One thing I really like is how evenly it heats the pan--some of this probably has to do with the pan itself as it is not solid Stainless but layers of SS, Copper and aluminum. I still enjoy cooking outdoors with my DCS, but due to the uneveness of the heat (Usually the edges are cooler), I have to keep stirring the outside in, or what is on the edge of the pan never gets cooked alto it is a cheap aluminum pan or pot I usually Use.

Saw the comment that us old folks are reluctant to try the "Latest Things" I'm 66. Not so with me. How many of you link your cmptrs as I do, are you able to sit in your easy chair,with your laptop choosing,and playing from the computer upstairs,any of the 100,000 songs in it, and have it come thru any stereo in your house, patio or even my car?
    Sorry about the Digression, but like Kitchens, ppl in general, etc etc "All Us Old Folks", aren't the same!!!

Gary

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I need to do some research regarding induction cooktops and pacemakers. My mother has a new pacemaker and was told by her doctor to avoid induction stoves. She was very disappointed not to be able to cook in my new kitchen. =(

Erika

• sonepi
    15 years ago

This is from a medical abstract article from a couple of years ago regarding pacemakers and induction cooking. A portion of the article is below. Things may have changed since then, but...

Do induction cooktops interfere with cardiac pacemakers?
    In induction cooktops, coils produce time-varying magnetic fields that induce eddy currents in the ferromagnetic bottom of a pot or pan, thereby heating it, while the cooktop itself remains cool. Interference with pacemaker sensing could conceivably be produced by voltages induced directly by induction or indirectly by leakage currents.

CONCLUSION:
    Patients are at risk if the implant is unipolar and left-sided, if they stand as close as possible to the induction cooktop, and if the pot is not concentric with the induction coil. Unipolar pacing systems can sense interference generated by leakage currents if the patient touches the pot for a long period of time. The most likely response to interference is switching to an asynchronous interference mode. Patients with unipolar pacemakers are at risk only if they are not pacemaker-dependent.

From NIH (National Institutes of Health) PubMed: 2006 May;8

P.S. I would suggest speaking with your cardiologist about the use of and contact range if you have a pacemaker.

• johnzane
    15 years ago

Why not have both gas and induction?

I suggest you try cooking on a relatively inexpensive induction hot plate, as I did. I am now a complete fan, especially considering the restaurant-quality unit I bought delivers precise heat control. The best part is, after you're done cooking (I have a 24" Capital gas range too), use the hot plate to keep food warm, safely, and at a real energy savings.

• wintertime
    15 years ago

I find it interesting that one of the things that people like is the 'ease of cleaning'.

My current kitchen has a glass smooth top electric stove top.
    I have never hated an appliance more in my life. This unit is NOT induction, but I am assuming that the glass surfaces (not cooking performance) are similar?
    Notwithstanding the horrid cooking performance of the thing, the cleanup is a nightmare. Any small drop of sauce that dribbles down the pan is instantly seared onto the surface. Nothing short of steel wool and a paint scraper will remove the baked on item. Additionally, it's downright dangerous to use if you put a wet pot on it. Rather than evaporating the water like a gas top would, this thing shoots out boiling water from underneath the pan at you, the cook. I am wondering if people have experienced similar things with their induction tops?

• pulaski
    14 years ago

Might not be a problem in NYC, but induction cooktops don't work without electricty while the gas variety will. Despite buried lines, lost power again last winter and am now about to swap our old electric cooktop for one hooked up to our more reliable natural gas line.

PS: adding a 50 amp load for cooking probably isn't in the cards for most portable emergency generators.

• ebse
    14 years ago

What dlspellman said.

I love love love love love my induction cooktop. I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is a dream to use, extremely responsive, and easy to clean. I also love the way it looks, it is very streamlined and unobtrusive.

• pulaski
    14 years ago

dlspellman

Think you meant to reply to someone else. My point was that all electric cooking appliances tend to require electricity -- and I think I'm pretty safe with that. This thread is about gas vs induction. I'm going to a natural gas cooktop for the simple reason we frequently lose our electric power when it snows more than 4' or so -- which is most every winter in our part of the Rockies.

• dlspellman
    14 years ago

Pulaski -
    My apologies...you are correct, I was replying to Wintertime, the post just above yours...

And you are of course correct, induction might not be the right answer in an area that loses it's power frequently.

Again - so sorry...

• plllog
    14 years ago

Toss up question: Which comes on first (is safe to turn on) after a major earthquake, electricity or gas? I got gas and induction, both. (Though it might be a good time for the barbecue or campstove...)

• erikanh
    14 years ago

"This thread is about gas vs induction."

Actually the original poster was asking people who have induction now if they'd go back to gas.

We had gas before, then electric smoothop, now induction. I'd be disappointed to go back to gas, very unhappy to go back to electric smoothtop. I like induction best.

I have a canister-powered teppan yaki pan that I can use in a pinch if the power goes out. We're on a well, so if our power goes out we lose access to water too. After frequent power outages this past winter here in the Northeast, many people I know installed whole house generators. We plan to do the same next year.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

bumping to see if others feel the same.
    ~boxer

• ooakfolk
    12 years ago

Times have changed since this was originally posted and I am interested in any feedback members can provide on products currently available.

I am most concerned about the following:

1. All 30" induction units have only *1* large "burner". I am not a professional but I am an avid home cook and I frequently have 2 or even 3 large pots on the cooktop at one time. How do the induction cooktops manage that?

2. I have many pots and pans that are larger than 11". How does induction manage a 14" saute pan or a 12" 20-qt stock pot? Some of my Le-Creuset pots are HUGE!

3. We currently have a GE ceramic glass cooktop which I hate passionately, especially the fact that any setting less than high will cause the heat to cycle on an off which means the the unit has, effectively, only two settings -- high and off -- which makes it impossible to cook anything on low. Does induction cycling do the same thing?

I am asking because I know that with continuous gas grids the first two would not be any problem and, a low gas flame is consistently low. I'm tempted to go with induction but, knowing how much I loved gas, I'm afraid I will regret it.

Also, I see no induction cooktops with a downdraft -- does that mean induction cooking does not need a vent?

Thank you,
    Barb

• ooakfolk
    12 years ago

Please ignore this post. I am going to start a new thread.

Barb

• oneTXchef
    12 years ago

The perspective of a pro chef, for what it�s worth (long post):

Induction vs. Gas

SPEED:
    Advantage to INDUCTION: It heats up faster and doesn�t waste time on conduction to grates.

RESPONSIVENESS:
    Slight advantage to INDUCTION. For mcst cooking, the two are basically a push. Both can be adjusted with near-instant responsiveness. However, induction burners can be set at lower settings, where gas flames would just die out. For example you can melt chocolate on induction without a bain marie. Also, gas cooking transfers heat to the grates, so there is a definite lag in responsiveness especially when lowering the heat (one reason why cooking "off the burner" is sometimes necessary).

CONTROL:
    Basically a push. With gas, you can see the flame. With induction, you see the number. After learning the levels on induction, there�s no difference in this category.

VERSATILITY:
    Advantage to GAS. Gas can be used for wok cooking, roasting peppers, flamb�ing. The induction equivalent requires a flat-bottomed wok, and a butane torch from the hardware store (not the dinky ones at kitchen stores).

CLEANUP:
    Huge advantage to INDUCTION. Cleanup on induction is a breeze. Since the cooktop itself isn�t hot, there�s no cool-down time before wiping, and no caked on/burnt food & liquids. Or just cook on top of newspaper and throw it out afterwards. Cleanup for pots & pans is easier too - No more scorched exteriors to scrub.

COOKWARE:
    Huge advantage to GAS. Gas being low-tech, you can use pots/pans of any material and size. With induction, you need ferrous pots/pans (cast iron or stainless).

MAINTENANCE:
    Advantage to GAS. Gas stoves are generally low-tech, meaning fewer repairs and lower expected cost per repair. I would expect a quality gas range to outlast a quality induction cooktop. Also glass cooktops are at risk of cracking under abuse� There�s not really anything you can "break" with gas.

PRICE:
    Advantage to GAS (assuming an existing gas line). Mid-range induction cooktops run about 50% more than their gas counterparts.

ENERGY COST:
    Slight advantage to Induction. While induction in 90% efficient vs. 50% for gas (plus ambient cooling), natural gas is so cheap in North America right now that you won�t see a noticeable difference in your bills, if at all. Of course that could change down the road� And with the ambient cooling costs incurred with gas, induction still has a slight advantage in this category.

SAFETY:
    Advantage to Induction. No risks associated with open flames, hot grates, or combustion fumes.

SELECTION:
    Advantage to Gas. There�s just a huge selection of gas cooktops out there, in all sizes and ventilation options. There is no downdraft induction cooktop (not that downdraft is really effective anyway). There is currently no 36" induction range/oven combo (Viking makes a 30").

RESALE VALUE:
    Advantage to Gas. Most people in American are just not informed about induction. They will walk in and assume you have radiant electric, which could be a deal breaker. And even if induction is explained to them, they may still be wary. This forum is a prime example of the mentality out there. Some people are just staunch advocates of gas, and no amount of information can change that view.

OVERVIEW:
    How you weigh these pros and cons will depend on the individual. For me, the clean-up with induction was a major factor, as I'm fed up with scrubbing caked on crud and grease from hot grates every day. Regarding the argument of what pros use... Yes, restaurants use gas. They are cheap, sturdy, easy to repair, and take a lot of abuse (banging & clanging). You can use crap pans, and no staff training is necessary. Most people (including my fellow chefs) have never cooked on induction, and feel no reason to explore it. There is NO TRUE PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGE to gas. Decide what features are important to you and don't listen to all the nutjobs out there!

• litehearted
    10 years ago

I can't answer this question quite yet, but surely will do in 2014. We are planning a complete kitchen remodel, and will definitely be buying an induction cooktop, it just depends which model.

Currently considering the AEG zone-free model HK953400FB 36" wide, but more narrow, around $1,800 Canadian.

A little history:
    I'm closer to 50 than 40, I drive a stick shift 4.2 liter, 340 HP V8 (although I don't see what this has to do with liking gas hobs), DH cooks the majority of the time but I am a competent cook in my own right, however, I am not one to tilt the pan when I'm cooking, AND since I do the majority of the cleanup -- I can say that I detest cleaning gas grates!

When I was young and single, I purchased a ceramic cooktop oven. When I got married, the house we purchased came with a new Jenn-Air gas stove. I preferred the gas cooktop over the electric, but found the electric oven superior to the gas. We sold the house and moved into a condo in 2013. Now we have an electric oven with electric coil cooktop. There is no option for gas in the condo, but DH is excited about getting an induction cooktop. He even talked about it when we were still in the house.

So, we are not pro cooks, but we cook often (as opposed to my friend that just wanted a kitchen that looks pretty because she doesn't really cook), and after we have our induction installed, I would be happy to weigh in as to whether I would ever want to go back to gas given the option. Even though this thread is old, more and more people are now considering induction for their homes and I'm sure that this post will be read by some current consumers in the market.

oneTXchef -- I would like to say thanks for your post, you really summed it up nicely...and frankly, yes, it is appealing to have an easier cleanup after cooking and enjoying a fine meal !!

Fortunately, hybrid induction gas combi cooktops and hybrid induction gas ranges are available, for those who truly value and insist on having both. ;)

• cdve
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I know this is an old threat but maybe somebody can still use it. I just installed a Wolf two burner induction cook top and a Wolf two burner gas cook top.
    Background story for this is the versatility to be able to still cook when we have a long power outage which seems to happen more and more.

To answer the original question. No, after experiencing the induction (always had ceramic before) I would not go back to gas only. The induction seems a lot more responsive to "fine tuning" than the gas and is a lot easier to clean with they same speed as the gas. We timed it! The only reason I am happy that I also installed gas was when the induction unit became "wonky" and unresponsive. This happened a couple of times (since then I got a new unit which seems to be fine) and I was really happy to be able to finish cooking our meal on the gas :-)

The downside is that the inductions are fairly expensive.

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

We would like to do both and are exploring the option of putting a 36" Bluestar range under a 54" hood and having 4 gas, 2 induction, 1 griddle. Bluestar gas and griddle, ? induction -- maybe Wolf. Stay tuned.

• jerzeegirl
    10 years ago

I love my induction cooktop and would never go back to gas. For brewing beer there is no finer method as you can get exact control of the temperature of the boil with induction.

• islandgarden
    9 years ago

We are facing the same issue. Had every type of range in the past including induction for the past 4 years.

THE SAMSUNG INDUCTION GLASS TOP EXPLODED WITH NO PROVOCATION ABOUT 2 MINUTES AFTER I TURNED OFF A DIFFERENT BURNER. GLASS EVERYWHERE. I WOULD NOT BUY A SAMSUNG. COMPANY HAS BEEN COMPLETELY NON RESPONSIVE AND NOT INVESTIGATED. They offered to "repair" it, It could have seriously injured me had I not just turned away a second before.

So basically investigate the brand and model to ensure that there are not cases of this occurring with the induction stove you buy. Otherwise, I did get used to it and it is equal to gas, just a bit different. Of course gas has its recognized dangers too, but I wanted to make you aware of this potential issue

• islandgarden
    9 years ago

We are facing the same issue. Had every type of range in the past including induction for the past 4 years.

THE SAMSUNG INDUCTION GLASS TOP EXPLODED WITH NO PROVOCATION ABOUT 2 MINUTES AFTER I TURNED OFF A DIFFERENT BURNER. GLASS EVERYWHERE. I WOULD NOT BUY A SAMSUNG. COMPANY HAS BEEN COMPLETELY NON RESPONSIVE AND NOT INVESTIGATED. They offered to "repair" it, It could have seriously injured me had I not just turned away a second before.

So basically investigate the brand and model to ensure that there are not cases of this occurring with the induction stove you buy. Otherwise, I did get used to it and it is equal to gas, just a bit different. Of course gas has its recognized dangers too, but I wanted to make you aware of this potential issue

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

S**t happens. It means you had a defective glass top. I once bought a bottle of club soda at a liquor store and the bottle exploded (pre-plastic) on the counter in the store. Fortunately it was already in a paper bag so no one was hurt. It doesn't mean I stopped drinking club soda, or buying Safeway branded soda. It means one defective bottle exploded.

• shackbuckle
    8 years ago

What an interesting thread! So many cooks (who obviously don't spoil the broth, whether it be cooked on gas or induction). I think I'll retro fit induction over gas if, and it's a big if, the sparkies can get sufficient current to the kitchen. Best post so far? In my opinion kimba00

• Richard Johnson
    2 years ago

I have used all 3 cooking systems. Induction is the most difficult to use, with a digital L through 9 setting control system. You can get used to it though. My first induction unit was a portable that let me actually set the temp. That was very good to cook with, so I went in and got a range with Induction. Cooking with gas was the easiest to learn and use. You turn down the flame, you get immediate results, and the same with induction. Electric burner, not so much, but again you can learn to use it. I am impressed with how fast the pan gets hot with induction, and it is something you really need to be careful with. It is almost instant max heat. So, where you may normally with gas or burner electric wait for the oil to smoke, to put in your veggies/meat you really don't want to wait for that. Put in the oil, turn on the induction heat, then immediately put in whatever it is you are wanting to brown/cook. As I understand it, from a study I just read, induction is not necessarily more efficient. With small pots, electric burners work more efficiently, but with large pots the induction works. The cost to cook puts the induction units in the middle of the range. (No pun intended.)