SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
masol_gw

Need Help with New Shower Decisions

masol
14 years ago

Hi All,

We are gutting our (only) upstairs bathroom (we do have a full bath on the first floor, but the upstairs bath will probably be the one that most family members eventually use for showering ... we have 2 kids and another on the way).

We're removing the upstairs tub and moving into part of an adjacent closet to create a new space for a shower, since our goal is to make this cramped bathroom more spacious and create some room for storage.

Now for my question! I assumed off the bat that we would want a tiled shower, with a glass door. It's an old house, I love the look of tile, and am tired of trying to keep shower curtains clean (and tired of throwing them away!) But now I'm in crisis, after reading many accounts of people who hate their glass doors AND struggle to keep tiles showers clean along grout lines. (The crisis is also because the expense of the tiles shower/glass door is large, and I'm worried about doing it if I don't absolutely love it in the end. My quotes are $1920 for 3/8 glass shower door and $3000 for the shower tiling, all installed).

So, I turn to the experts for opinions and suggestions! Are my tile worries unfounded? Is a glass door worth 2K? I feel like I should consider an insert, but I really don't like the plastic-y ones I've seen in new home construction here. I've had really nice shower inserts in apartments in Europe, white and glossy with a nicer feel and so easy to keep clean. Something like this would be fine, but don't know how (or if) these products translate here (I've seen the website of Douglas James in ENgland, for example, but am not sure what a US equivalent would be).

I know people do love Corian or solid surface for their showers... DO the grout lines get moldy where the pieces come together? What's the price difference vis-a-vis tile?

OK, so sorry for the length of this. The demo begins tomorrow and I need to get this figured out if we want this bathroom to be here before the baby! I'd appreciate hearing any of your experience or advice!

Comments (2)