SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgwlisa

plumber issue - is this fair?

kgwlisa
16 years ago

I'm going to try to keep a long story short but our plumber has been a nightmare. He has already done a lot of work for my dad and a bunch of work in my house and in general has been very conscientious, reasonably priced and good at what he does, even if he has a few personality quirks that I personally have never had much of a problem dealing with.

So it was a no-brainer to use him for our bathroom renovation. We trusted him, he does good work, his prices are reasonable, all sounds good. Well it's turned into somewhat of a nightmare getting him to do his job. We gutted our bathroom the day after thanksgiving and we are still sitting with a mostly gutted bathroom due to having to ride his butt constantly to get him over here. Numerous mistakes were made and while he "made good" on all of them without complaint (except that it took so long to get him back every time) it has delayed the project considerably. Things like being off by 2" on the shower drain placement (he has detailed dimensioned drawings to work from) that wasn't noticed until the GC tried to install the shower pan and it didn't fit between the drain and the supply - stuff like that.

A typical week in getting him to show up on a monday starts the previous monday with him saying he'll be there tuesday morning at 9, a phone call from him at 11 saying he'll be there at noon, another phone call saying he'll be there at 3 at the very latest, then another phone call saying he'll be there at 5, finally 7 at the latest with us telling him to just come the next day. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Anyway I am beyond fed up at this point. We called another plumber in to take a look at an issue discovered by our boiler guy (we are also doing a boiler replacement, zoning our whole house and in the process the boiler guy removed our old leaking cast iron radiator and ran a new line for a new combo radiator/towel warmer) and were very impressed by this guy. He comes when he says he will, his prices are also reasonable and he comes highly recommended by the local building inspector (who is a friend of ours).

Anyway this other plumber said everything old plumber did was fine except that for the new sink he used a 1 1/4" drain instead of the 1 1/2" drain required by code. Why, I don't know, but obviously it will have to be changed out. Old plumber is so flaky that it would probably take another week at a minimum to get him out here to fix it and I'm pretty much over the whole riding his butt to get him to do his job thing.

I want to just have new plumber fix it (which will probably involve the gc having to build a new knee wall to run this drain line through since it's tough to enlarge the holes that way) and basically proceed with new plumber. Chances are pretty good, but not 100%, that unless I call old plumber 100x a day we won't ever even hear from him again.

Sorry that's so long but I wanted there to be enough background. So here is my question. We've already paid old plumber 50% of the total job cost before he started the rough in. The toilet waste stayed in the same place but supply had to be moved to accommodate a fully skirted toto (although he did change out the waste line for the toilet, it just stayed in the same place). He moved the drain and supply slightly for the old sink (about 12" - still not where it was supposed to be but according to him "close enough - as long as it is somewhere under the vanity cabinet it's fine" - is that true?), roughed in supply and drain for a new sink (drain has to be redone), moved shower drain about a foot and supply about 3', roughed in a pretty complicated shower with thermostatic valve, two volume control valves, fixed and handheld shower head and moved clawfoot tub drain and supply about 3'.

So the question is, is it fair for me to cut my losses at this point and feel like we are all "even" for the work he's done? Given the price of copper and the length of some of the supply runs (particularly the new sink) and the number of fittings required to do the shower, my sense is that the more expensive part of the job is the rough in work and the installation of fixtures is a piece of cake relative to the rest - ie if I were to break it down, the rough in would be MORE than 50% of the job. I just want to be fair but given the fact that he has taken 6 weeks to do what has amounted to a 3-4 day job as far as I can tell if I add up the bits and pieces of time he's been here, and I justified in calling it even here? I am really not looking to screw anyone out of work they've already done but I'm already having to pay more to have at least one of his mistakes fixed (everything else seems fine, most of it has been inspected already too).

Thanks.

Comments (6)