SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grill_n_ga

Tips on using smoker tray on large MM YO660

grill_n_ga
21 years ago

Question for those owners of the Sams Club large MM YO660 grill. How to use the smoker tray?

Before the YO660, I used a cast iron wood smoker box on my old 2 burner grill. You put the box right down on the grate above your burner, (no controlling the heat). It would smoke in 10 minutes. Smoke volume would be huge as the chips would burn. They would eventually catch fire and turn to cinders. I am sure this is NOT the way to "properly" use smoke (it smoked so much my clothes smelled like I was grilled too!)

With the YO660, I soaked mesquite chips for about an hour. Then filled the tray full (perhaps too full?). The Grill was heated to about 500. I lit the smoker tray and waited 10 more minutes (like I've done on my old grill. I seared the salmon and tuna on both sides (WOW, what a GREAT job...those heavy solid SS grates are first class!). I then turned the middle burner off and cooked the fish indirect at about 425. We also did baked potatoes and Vidalia onions (we live in Georgia). During the grilling process (20 to 30 minutes) there was no smoke. The chips did dry out and were hot, but not burning. The smoker tray burner appeared to be working properly and the smoker tray was quite hot. After 45 minutes there was still NO visible smoke. You could detect a faint mesquite smell, but not what I've been used to. The fish was cooked wonderfully...but I could not detect much mesquite flavoring.

Obviously I am not used to the professional grill method of smoking food.

How is the smoker tray working for you? Is the quantity and chip size the key? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)

Sponsored