SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mogwok

Dirty Old Porcelain Bathroom Sink

mogwok
11 years ago

Hello,

I just moved into a shared house with a very old porcelain sink. We pay a cleaning lady 2 x a month, and yet the sink is disgusting (and she even left old bandaids in the shower). I have attached a picture of it.

There is apparently rust (mostly around the drain and holes), crud/dirt build-up (mostly around the faucets), two different colors of mineral deposit (under each spout), and generalized brownish haze (in random areas). Also, the porcelain appears to be worn away around the lips of the sink--there's no sheen and it appears grayish. I mean I'm sure the porcelain veneer is pretty shot at this point.

As I already pay someone to clean this, I do not want to spend $$ on cleaning products. I already went out and bought Ajax and Bleach. I also have lemon juice, white vinegar, sodium hydroxide, and baking powder, and wet/dry sandpaper (all have been recommended for different things).

Apparently bleach sets rust, you need to sand the rust out, but I thought you cant even use abrasive cleaners on porcelain. Some people say use bleach to clean it and make it white, some say even that is damaging to porcelain. Some say bleach is ok but don't soak it, some say let it sit in bleach overnight.

Any help with how to address all my problems, or at least an order at which to tackle them would be much appreciated. I am getting a serious headache over this. Also, I am really sick of looking at that disgusting sink and honestly just want to get some gloves, some bleach, and scrub the crap out of it! But higher education must prevail, and I have resolved to use chemistry and not brute force--or at least to ask for the opinion from someone who has experience :)

Thanks!

Laura

Comments (5)