SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debndulcy

resurfacing basement walls with cement?

debndulcy
14 years ago

My house was built in the late 1940's and has am unfinished basement with stone walls covered with many uneven and ugly layers of waterproofing, etc. I patched any larger uneven areas with cement - and would like to take the approach further - to smooth the surfaces out and generally improve its appearance. After I'd re-cement (using a smooth stucco-like approach), I thought of (cement) resurfacing the floor and then painting all.

Looking at available Quikcrete products, it appears their surface bonding cement would do what I want (they recommend up to 3/8 layer, and I'm not sure that will be enough to smooth all). I also just went to buy some... and it's almost $15/bag and I'll need minimum of 15 bags for a minimum 1/4 inch layer all-around. I can't afford drywall, etc, so this seemed like a reasonable solution.. IF I can use a less expensive cement for the same purpose, - that will do the job.

Any input - re type cement/product I might use instead of the expensive one for the same effect - - or if you tried this and how it worked - - or think it's a good idea - would be greatly appreciated. I did see that the surface bond cement has waterproofing properties, which I'd add if needed with another cement product.

Thank you!

Comments (10)