SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deejayw

Anyone else find this kind of stuff intriguing?

deejayw
17 years ago

A little family history is needed to follow these pictures.

My father's parents, and their siblings, (my grandparents and my great aunts and great unlces) came to the US from Scotland...probably around 1910-1930. My grandmother was one of three daughters. My great Aunt Alice was one of her sisters. Aunt Alice never married because her fiance was "killed in the war".

This is a picture of Aunt Alice's fiance

{{gwi:1382721}}

I claimed this picture, and another one that was framed the same way, about 25 years ago because I loved them. Oddly, they were in my grandparents home (not Aunt Alice's) but I don't know why. It might have something to do with the people in the other picture...can't figure out who they are, and how they relate to this whole story, but possibly my great grandmother (my grandmother's and Aunt Alice's mother) Unfortunately, the glass broke on this picture during one of my moves...the picture is ripped! (I know, I can get it restored...and try to replace the rounded glass that was in the frame) This is what's left of it.

{{gwi:1382722}}

Still following?...it gets better. See the lady? The one I'm thinking might be my great grandmother???...see the necklace she's wearing? I HAVE IT!

{{gwi:1382723}}

I've had it for so long, I can't remember the circumstances of getting it. My grandmother died when I was four, so she didn't give it to me. Aunt Alice died when I was a teenager, she didn't give it to me. Maybe one of them gave it to my mom and she said I could have it. My mom was big on family history, but she died 21 years ago (when I was too young to predict what I might want to know in the future...and now, there's only a couple relatives left) Or,like the pictures, it was in my grandparents home...but why not Aunt Alice's? Oh, you're probably wondering why Aunt Alice would have it. The necklace is a locket. Inside the locket is the man in the first picture...Aunt Alice's fiance who "was killed in the war" There's also a picture of another man...I think it's a different man but I don't know who he is.

Here's the inside of the locket

{{gwi:1382724}}

Both pictures look like this man?

{{gwi:1382725}}

Can't tell if the locket was engraved in the original picture, but it is now. Can't figure out what it means, though!

On the front...initials A.L. That was Aunt Alice's initials.

{{gwi:1382726}}

The other side looks like...G.F.A....T F...F C...1911

{{gwi:1382727}}

In doing a quick geneology search, I found the Ellis Island Passenger Record for Aunt Alice...the only relative I could find! She arrived on 11-9-1920. She was 26 years old at that time and single. The log states she was going to join her mother in Massachusetts (my great grandmother), and that she had been here before from 1914 to July 3, 1920. Went back to Scotland for 4 months, then here permanantly, I guess.

The stuff I can't figure out, and some other info:

How old do those pictures look? Especially the one with the lady and the baby. Figuring out the age might help to figure out who she is. Doesn't she look old for that to be her baby? Does it look like a boy or a girl. If it is my great grandmother...she only had daughters. Was it common to do a picture like this with a grandchild? I'm assuming she must be a relative since she's wearing the locket that eventually belonged to Aunt Alice...she also looks like Aunt Alice. Also, both of these pictures ended up in my grandmother's house (Aunt Alice's sister) Thinking the lady must have meant something to my grandmother also.

The back of the picture that is still framed has a sticker that reads "Framing Department, Geo. H. Sharp Music Co., Westfield, Mass."

The Soldier...look like a Scottish soldier?

Any ideas about the engraving on the locket? In 1911, Aunt Alice would have been about 17 years old.

Any clue as to the age of the locket? The chain can be worn as one long chain, or doubled for two strands.

Any clue as to the value of the locket? I've shown it to two people, and gotten two very different opinions. One said probably worth $1500-$2000. The other said worth about $100. (Not that I'm selling it)

Any other info in helping to solve some of these mysteries would be so appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (19)