SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_of_darwin

Anyone want to take a gander? (Long with pics)

garden_of_darwin
18 years ago

I'm hoping to get some information from those more knowledgable than I on some items that we've inherited and have been passed down to us through my husband's family. I've got pictures and measurements, and general descriptions. Please let me know if there's additional information that would be helpful in determining approximate age, style, etc. Thanks!

First up...a signed Philadelphia tall case clock.

{{gwi:1382210}}
Our clock man believes it to be from around 1760 and being that it's signed (Benjn. and Ellis Clark), and original finish, he (and a collector friend) approximated the value at $80,000. Choke! It works...all bits and pieces. Moonphase is beautifully painted with little to no wear or damage. 15" front to back, 20" wide, 96" tall. It is missing its top finial.

{{gwi:1382211}}
This is our self-named "shoe" chair. We used to sit the kids on it when they were little to put their shoes on -- the name stuck. We think it's lost some height in its life -- the seat is only 15" off the floor. It's 39" high overall, 15" front to back and 20" wide. In fair condition. MIL let dogs scratch at it with their toenails -- you can see the loss of finish on the front edge. Grrr...

{{gwi:1382212}}
Secretary and mirror. Secretary comes from husband's father's side. Hidden compartments inside. In good shape, not excellent, but good. Original finish. 18" front to back, 33" left to right, 39" high. When opened, the drop front is at 31" off the floor and brings the total front to back measurement to 33". The inside (whole thing really, except proportionally) is very similar to this:

The mirror I know less about, except that my MIL left a stupid suction cup on it forever and it now has a permanent mark where it was. GRRR...

{{gwi:1382214}}
This piece is the one we actually know the most about. The sideboard originally belonged to James Logan (1674 - 1751), Secretary to William Penn, one time mayor of Philadelphia, all around statesman and ?ancestor? to my husband. Family lore has it that it's been passed down through the generations (zig-zagged across the family tree) to whichever child has the name Logan as part of their name. We received it as a wedding gift (my husband is James Logan), from his aunt Elizabeth Logan, who received it from her uncle who received it from his aunt of the same name. The middle "drawer" pulls out and the front flips down to reveal a felted writing surface. It was considered a "butler's drawer", I am told. It has several little drawers and mail slots inside. In good shape, although it did get refinished following some flood damage in the last 40 years or so. There are a few pieces of missing veneer, but those have been retained.

The painting above it is either a Thomas Sully or "in the style of", or at least that's what we've been told. It's of Delilah Maria Stearly, born Nov. 9, 1814 to Nilson Henry Stearly and Adiline M. Stearly and later married to John C. Yeager. It is oil, in its original frame and except for a hole in the canvas made by a wayward bb, it is in good shape. A few peices of the frame have come loose over the years -- some have been retained, some have not. There is supposedly another portrait by the same artist of Nilson Henry Stearly and a sampler done by Adiline, but we are not aware of their whereabouts. They might have been sold when DH's grandmother died.

There are some other smaller pieces that might be of interest: a small, primitive footstool, candle forms, a Revere lantern, some chinese pottery, a small ladies rocking chair, a small child's rocking chair, etc. but I don't have pictures of those things at the moment.

Anyone want to take any guesses? I'd appreciate any and all information. We want to contact an appraiser to have it all documented and insured properly, but I want to know what I'm talking about (in general terms) when an appraiser comes through. Thanks so much!

Susan

Comments (11)