SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grel4020

Anyone have any experience of a gander drowning a female goose?

grel4020
16 years ago

I raised four Chinese geese, two male, two female from 1-2 day-old goslings and am very attached to them, as they have been to me. Yesterday I saw one at the edge of the pond obviously in serious trouble. She was weakly moving and looked as if her neck was broken; she couldnÂt lift her head and her beak was hanging in the water. She had been fine a little while before. I lifted her out but we lost her. I am broken hearted because she was my very favorite... she loved me and was so sweet, coming to stand close beside me with gentle nibbles when I was outside cracking pecans or whatever. There were no marks on her, and when we checked her out afterwards, her neck was not broken. We just could not figure it out.

Today my husband saw the two ganders fighting across the pond. Awhile later one was breeding the remaining female and her head was underwater for a long time until my dh was able to get out there with the golf cart and the gander gave it up. My dh was afraid the little hen was going to drown... a light went on... later he told me he thought he knew what had happened to the other hen.

WeÂve had geese for years with a pond in the backyard in the past, and have never had any problem with them... we didnÂt even realize when we ordered these last ones that two ganders were not a good plan; we thought from our observation that they each had their own mate. So as you can see we didnÂt have any serious problems with our others.

Does anyone have any input to help me out? I am disheartened and very sick at heart about this.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone