SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulinct

my CT renovation - taking the long view (with pics!)

paulinct
16 years ago

Those who have moved into houses with poor yards, have heart! The first picture below is my back yard when we moved in a few years ago. Get a load of that! I swear that yard was in the process of reforesting when I got it, and would have been further along if not for the prior owners' dogs. Notice how much land was lost to poorly thought out border plantings, and check out that pile of purslane. Whoo-boy!

The second photo is from this afternoon (finally was able to borrow a camera), day 10 into my reseeding project (seeded last Thursday). When we moved in I grabbed an axe and a saw and removed whatever I could before winter. Since then I have been trying to re-establish the lawn, but have struggled. This year I found this forum, learned some things I had been doing wrong, and decided it was time to kill it all off and start fresh. Old grass was a scraggly mix of fescues and rye mostly, nothing that would do well in the sun I get back there, so this year I decided to replace all of it with KBG. You can see I savaged those lilacs and roses of sharon on the left (north) border, they are all coming out next year in favor of some more appropriate plants. I like both of those plants, but not planted within 2 inches of a fence, and not planted where they will ruthlessly self-sow into my lawn. That landscape fabric is just in place to mark the new border and keep anything from growing there until it is time to plant.

Sorry to ramble, but thought some here would get a kick out of these pictures. Especially any of you who think *your* yard is a disaster: these photos may expand your notion of just how much "disaster" is possible, given enough time and enough neglect. And enough dogs.

{{gwi:118666}}
By pmonaghan

{{gwi:118462}}

Comments (21)